• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worried about gun being taken from you by BG?

HeWhoShoots

imported post

Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment. However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying? Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?

tarzan1888

imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment.  However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying?  Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?

Over the years I have ended up buying many holsrers. Gee at least 5 per gun.

Of those holsters all that I use, any more, have come sort of retention.

Most forms of retention are such that they are not easily disengaged, by anyone but the person carrying the gun.

However, situation awarness is paramount, when ever you carry a gun in any manner.

Tarzan

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment. However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying? Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?

Welcome to OCDO.

Not particularly concerned in line any more than anywhere else. I just keep alert the world around me. If someone I'm not comfortable with gets close behind me in line, or anywhere else, I shift my stance so my gun isn't quite so easy to reach.

I doubt that much effort is really necessary. I consider that I'm just being super-cautious for my own peace of mind.

I do have basic retention on myholster.

I think we've got two reports of civilian gun-grabs, and for sure one has been debunked. Its just not something that is happening with enough frequency to be a big enough risk to worry about too much. Just play it smart, don't start day-dreaming, or go off in your ownworld mentally.

WARCHILD

imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
Greetings!

Welcome to OCDO. I have always been a fan of cross-draw fasion. I oc a Taurus PT92 and I wear it on my left side, just off the hip over the left jean pocket. Fast and easy to draw, but virtualy impossible to be grabbed from behind or anywhere else for that matter. It also makes a nice arm rest while standing in line-- waiting, waiting--------

ooops, forgot to add, also in that position, to cc, all I have to do is pull out my shirt and it covers the gun completely. Can't really see the buldge (kinda fits in with my SPARE TIRE profile)

HeWhoShoots

imported post

Thanks for the replies all :)

The cross-draw option seems like a good idea. If FL ever gets OC, or I move somewhere that has it, I'll keep that in mind

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Not so much worried that a BG will take my weapon as I am about the police. To date, they are the only parties that have made an effort to deprive me.

I carry in a retention holster and maintain a wary look out of those in arms reach.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I prefer to OC with a retention holster of some kind ie something beyond just friction holding the pistol in the holster. I usually carry in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA level II (as designated by Blackhawk - I say that HeWhoShoots because there is debate as to whether or not the holster is really a level II).

I did not like crowded situations even as a child so, even before I was concerned at all with self-defense or 2A issues, I avoided crowded situations. I carry in the 2-4 o' clock strong side position depending on what I am doing and what I'm wearing and which holster I am usuing. All of my carry holsters can be adjusted a bit forward and back along my waist while wearing them. If I find myself in a crowded situation or am anticipating a crowded situation, I'll slide the holster towards the 2 o'clock position where I can more easily protect it from an attempted grab.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
HeWhoShoots wrote:
Greetings!

Over the years I have ended up buying many holsrers. Gee at least 5 per gun.

Of those holsters all that I use, any more, have come sort of retention.

Most forms of retention are such that they are not easily disengaged, by anyone but the person carrying the gun.

However, situation awarness is paramount, when ever you carry a gun in any manner.

Tarzan
Absolutely spot on correct.
Amen.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
Greetings!

I have a level II retention ALS holster by Safariland. I had one of my friend try to take my (unloaded) G19 from the holster while I stood there and did nothing. He had never seen the ALS hoslters and it took him abouta minute. Now if my life was in danger, that would be a VERY stabbed/cut up dirtbag by the timea minutes had passed. Even if you know how to unlock the ALS, Im confident I cout ventilate a person's throat before the weapon cleared the holster.

N00blet45

imported post

I'm not concerned. I usually stay away from crowded areas. But if it comes to that I just lean on my pistol a bit, since it is holstered slightly forward of my hip.

Flintlock

imported post

1. No

2. Yes

As others have stated previously, retension and siutational awareness are paramount.