Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: First OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    So I finally did it. I grabbed my Sherpa and the Sig 9mm P226 and went out with my girlfriend for some dinner. I had planned to stop at Costco in Issaquah but they were closed. I also thought I read something earlier that they also OC unfriendly. We headed over to Fatburger instead. Walked in, everyone and I mean everyone employees, patrons and their kids, everyonethat had a view of my strong side looked, turned and looked again.Non the less we ordererd and sat down. Everything went smoothly, weate then I grabbed the trays and went over to the trash. It seemed everyone that I walked by was just staring at my "Navy". As I walked out I put my dark sun-glasses on, I opened the door for my girlfriend and notice a guy in the back of the line actaully pointing at me, not in a alarmed way but more like "whoa a gun!"

    The second place we went was Blockbuster in theFactoria area of Bellevue. Nothing happened in the DVD store. As we were walking out I told my GF that I had to go deposit a check at the ATM next to the QFC, she rolled her eyesand said alright. I walked past a large clothing store on my way over to the atm then approach a younger maybe late 20s couple sitting in front of Starbucks. As I past (no eye contact since I had dark glasses on I noticed them just staring at my piece and immediatley starting dicussing what they just saw looking back every now and then at me. I got my evelope and check ready and went about putting itin the ATM. After I was done I turned and walked past them again, immediatley after passing them the lady yelled out, "are you a cop?" I replied "no" in a very brief but clear and firm tone. She then said, "you know thats (my OC) is illegal right?" I said, "No its not, Washington is an open carry state." She then mumble something to her guy friend. Right before I turned the corner away from her view I said, "look it up" with my finger point at her,and walked away.

    This all happened very fast, all while I was walking past them. I think for a firstvery encounter on my first day OCing I handled it, well, like a rookie would. The third place I went to,no problems just some kids pointing and a guydid a double take but thats it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    So I finally did it. I grabbed my Sherpa and the Sig 9mm P226 and went out with my girlfriend for some dinner. I had planned to stop at Costco in Issaquah but they were closed. I also thought I read something earlier that they also OC unfriendly. We headed over to Fatburger instead. Walked in, everyone and I mean everyone employees, patrons and their kids, everyone¬*that had a view of my strong side looked, turned and looked again.¬*Non the less we ordererd and sat down. Everything went smoothly, we¬*ate then I grabbed the trays and went over to the trash. It seemed everyone that I walked by was just staring at my "Navy". As I walked out I put my dark sun-glasses on, I opened the door for my girlfriend and notice a guy in the back of the line actaully pointing at me, not in a alarmed way but more like "whoa a gun!"

    The second place we went was Blockbuster in the¬*Factoria area of Bellevue. Nothing happened in the DVD store. As we were walking out I told my GF that I had to go deposit a check at the ATM next to the QFC, she rolled her eyes¬*and said alright. I walked past a large clothing store on my way over to the atm then approach a younger maybe late 20s couple sitting in front of Starbucks. As I past (no eye contact since I had dark glasses on I noticed them just staring at my piece and immediatley starting dicussing what they just saw looking back every now and then at me. I got my evelope and check ready and went about putting it¬*in the ATM. After I was done I turned and walked past them again, immediatley after passing them the lady yelled out, "are you a cop?" I replied "no" in a very brief but clear and firm tone. She then said, "you know thats (my OC) is illegal right?" I said, "No its not, Washington is an open carry state." She then mumble something to her guy friend. Right before I turned the corner away from her view I said, "look it up" with my finger point at her,¬*and walked away.

    This all happened very fast, all while I was walking past them. I think for a first¬*very encounter on my first day OCing I handled it, well, like a rookie would. The third place I went to,¬*no problems just some kids pointing and a guy¬*did a double take but thats it.

    Why do I get the feeling you were looking for someone to say something?

    Anyway, how did your guide work out for you? Must've been really hot for him, considering he's used to mountains and not 80 degree weather..
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Anyway, how did your guide work out for you? Must've been really hot for him, considering he's used to mountains and not 80 degree weather..
    Good one!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    About 80% of the places I go nobody seems to notice the sidearm, were you wearing flourescent arrows pointing at yours? Or were you walking sideways strong side forward?:?I know it feels strange the first few times, but relax, get a couple of the pamphlets and work on educating the public. OC should be a non event.

    And what do mountain guides go for these days? Do you own or lease?

    Alan

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    I have noticed it varies a lot with the color of clothing you are wearing. If it is a black gun and you are wearing dark clothing then hardly anyone notices anything. If you are dressed in a lighter shade than you get a lot more looks.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling you were looking for someone to say something?
    Of course he was looking for someone to say something, you remember the first time you OC'd You are hyper-aware and have the feeling that everyone is looking at your gun. The first time most people OC they expect to get accosted or hassled, it is only after doing it for a while that you relax a bit and know that this is not the norm.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    My wife and I were the couple that were in front of Starbucks and commented about the open carry. Thanks for the compliment, we are actually older than late 20's. :-)

    We both have CPL's and I was the one that told my wife that I didn't think it was legal.

    She made the comment to you, because she thought you looked like a nice young man, (although came across nervous and with an agenda), and she didn't want you to get in trouble.

    When you commented "look it up", I remembered a family acquaintence as a kid that used to open carry in Seattle and remembered you were probably correct. So, now I have found this site took your advice.I liked the other responder's comment...if open carry is partially about education, then presenting yourself in a friendly manner and potentially passing out education material or referencing a site like this will go a long ways in creating general trust amongst the public.

    Good luck...

  8. #8
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Agent 47 wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Why do I get the feeling you were looking for someone to say something?
    Of course he was looking for someone to say something, you remember the first time you OC'd You are hyper-aware and have the feeling that everyone is looking at your gun. The first time most people OC they expect to get accosted or hassled, it is only after doing it for a while that you relax a bit and know that this is not the norm.
    +1.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    MyThought,

    This might be a little last minute, but we have a lunch up near Everett today. It'd be great if you and your wife could make it. You're not required to be carrying to attend the lunch(just a disclaimer).

    Here's the info:

    El Paraiso Mexican Grill
    2801 COLBY AVE A
    EVERETT, WA


    1pm, Sunday May 18th, 2008.


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    MyThought wrote:
    My wife and I were the couple that were in front of Starbucks and commented about the open carry. Thanks for the compliment, we are actually older than late 20's. :-)

    We both have CPL's and I was the one that told my wife that I didn't think it was legal.

    She made the comment to you, because she thought you looked like a nice young man, (although came across nervous and with an agenda), and she didn't want you to get in trouble.

    When you commented "look it up", I remembered a family acquaintence as a kid that used to open carry in Seattle and remembered you were probably correct. So, now I have found this site took your advice.I liked the other responder's comment...if open carry is partially about education, then presenting yourself in a friendly manner and potentially passing out education material or referencing a site like this will go a long ways in creating general trust amongst the public.

    Good luck...
    Wow, small world. Yea I think I immediately went into defence mode right after she ask me if I was a cop. No harm done just a learning experience for me.Welcome to the forum!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    Misguided Child wrote:
    About 80% of the places I go nobody seems to notice the sidearm, were you wearing flourescent arrows pointing at yours? Or were you walking sideways strong side forward?:?I know it feels strange the first few times, but relax, get a couple of the pamphlets and work on educating the public. OC should be a non event.

    And what do mountain guides go for these days? Do you own or lease?

    Alan
    I don't get it??? What guide??Anyways, I was wearing a white t-shirt and kaki colored shorts, my gun was a full sizeblack with a black holster, it definantly stood out

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    Misguided Child wrote:
    About 80% of the places I go nobody seems to notice the sidearm, were you wearing flourescent arrows pointing at yours? Or were you walking sideways strong side forward?:?I know it feels strange the first few times, but relax, get a couple of the pamphlets and work on educating the public. OC should be a non event.

    And what do mountain guides go for these days? Do you own or lease?

    Alan
    I don't get it??? What guide??Anyways, I was wearing a white t-shirt and kaki colored shorts, my gun was a full sizeblack with a black holster, it definantly stood out
    OH!! I get it! Dammit... Serpa holster!! Funny.....

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    I don't get it??? What guide??Anyways, I was wearing a white t-shirt and kaki colored shorts, my gun was a full sizeblack with a black holster, it definantly stood out
    They're just messing with you for a misspelling. A Serpa is a holster, a Sherpa is a native mountain climbing guide.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Yes, just learning experience for all of us. :-)

    I realize that you may find people that come across as antagonistic, whether that is their intent or not. Friendly, low-key response regardless of their approach will be best way to leave a good impression for OC community. After you walked way, my wife said... should I just have said "nice Sig" instead? :-)

    BTW, I often notice when people carry "concealed", much less "open"... so it wasn't about prominent display necessarily.

    To the other person with invitation to... thanks, but I will decline... other plans.

    I appreciate that this forum is available, to close the loop and give feedback from other point of view. best wishes guys...

  15. #15
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    Misguided Child wrote:
    About 80% of the places I go nobody seems to notice the sidearm, were you wearing flourescent arrows pointing at yours? Or were you walking sideways strong side forward?:?I know it feels strange the first few times, but relax, get a couple of the pamphlets and work on educating the public. OC should be a non event.

    And what do mountain guides go for these days? Do you own or lease?

    Alan
    I don't get it??? What guide??Anyways, I was wearing a white t-shirt and kaki colored shorts, my gun was a full sizeblack with a black holster, it definantly stood out
    Sherpa = Guide
    Serpa = Holster

    Get the joke?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •