• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry into a 'convention center'

quentusrex

imported post

My wife and I were reading through the WA state firearm laws to refresh our memory and we both noticed something interesting.

RCW 9.41.300 (2)b:
"Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to: (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.70 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.60"

IANAL, but that doesn't state that if you have your CPL that you have to conceal carry if you go into a 'convention center'. I remember something about a city was trying to get one of the open market places declared a convention center, and it seems that under RCW 9.41.300 they can only restrict people from open carrying if they do not have a CPL. If you have a CPL you can open carry into a convention center anyways.

bayfire66

imported post

You are correct on that assesment if you have a cpl u can open carry there thats how I read that:)plus if its a public building state law overrides city codes. just my assement anyway.:celebrate

Agent 47

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
I was talking in response to a recent post about a city(redmond, or something) trying to get their town center declared a convention center.
Well in that case if they succeed then they would effectively limit OC and CC to CPL carriers.

expvideo

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
I was talking in response to a recent post about a city(redmond, or something) trying to get their town center declared a convention center.
Why? Redmond Town Center is a shoppingmall.

joeroket

imported post

expvideo wrote:
quentusrex wrote:
Why? Redmond Town Center is a shoppingmall.
Probably because they think they can ban firearms if it is a declared a convention center.

kparker

imported post

Back to the original question, the answer is No. That's because this section doesn't ban "open carry", it bans "possession of firearms" unless you're in one of the exempt categories of people (CPL holders being one of those categories.)

John Hardin

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
IANAL, but that doesn't state that if you have your CPL that you have to conceal carry if...
IANALE, but I don't think there's anything anywhere in WA code that says you must conceal under any given circumstance. The law only says that in order to conceal you must have a CPL in your possession, and other parts of the code say if you have a CPL you are exempt from certain restrictions.

So, in other words, the answer to your question is "no", you don't have to conceal.