• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - I am in the mood for a ak/akm

expvideo

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Question about these AKs:

DISCLAIMER: I don't intend to do anything illegal, I simply want to know.

All these weapons are semi-auto only, correct? Is it the trigger that makes it work in semi-auto or full-auto, or are there more modifications to the design to make it semi-only?

The semi-auto rifles have a different shaped disconnector and are missing two parts that are required to make it full auto. Here are the parts of an AK... remember that the two circled parts are required to fire reliably in full auto, and the disconnector (aka the "semi-auto fire sear")is shaped differently.

parts-1.jpg

Now, you could make the semi auto ak fire in a fully automatic mode by simply removing the disconnector, which would let the hammer continually fall forward... but there's a big problem with that option. The rate of fire would be too high, meaning that the hammer would either follow the bolt home, resulting in no shot firing, or it would fire out of battery, blowing the rifle up in your hands. See, on the full auto rifle, there is a part (circled in blue) that slows the hammer from falling for a fraction of a second, allowing the bolt to make it all the way forward. SO, if you simply remove the disconnector, you might be able to get a few rounds out per trigger pull at an extremely high ROF (having to pull the charging handle every few rounds) before the rifle explodes in your hands. Good luck with that :D

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVZ_OjAxuU

MetalChris

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I believe it is the sear, Do not mess with it.

Anybody like the Romanians?
I had a Romanian SAR-1 a few years ago, and I liked it except for the terrible trigger slap. Had I known more about guns back then I would've procured a new trigger assembly (such as TAPCO, etc.)

thx997303

imported post

That's some interesting information guys.

So, besides the trigger you didn't have any issues?

How's $410 for one? If bad, what should I expect to pay?

expvideo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
That's some interesting information guys.

So, besides the trigger you didn't have any issues?

How's $410 for one? If bad, what should I expect to pay?

There are litterally hundreds of different AKs. $410 is a screaming deal for a Bulgarian, and a complete rip off for a Romanian WASR. It's a good deal for a converted Saiga, but a horrible deal for an unconverted Saiga or a RomyG screwbuild. You need to take some AK101 over at akforums.net. Spend a week going through the posts over there before buying anything, because an AK isn't just an AK. There are hundreds if not thousands of different AKs out there. Some good, some bad. Bulgarians may have an excellent reputation for being some of the best rifles out there, but some of them are just plain duds. Romanians are by far the cheapest, and there are some problems that you need to know how to look for before buying one, but if you get a good one (you can learn to pick out a good one at that website) they are the best deal ever on a combat rifle.

Anyway, spend some quality time at akforums.net (ar15.com under the AK section of the forums) before spending any money. Generally $410 is a good deal, but in some cases it could be a major rip off.

Walleye

imported post

Thanks for saving me the time of sifting through google to find my answer, gents. ;)

Your IP address has been logged. The ATF will be knocking on your door shortly.
Time to bust the tommy gun out... :dude:

thx997303

imported post

Thanks for the reference to that forum. I don't have the money to buy one right now, so I have time to research and figure out what I want/need and what it should cost.

Thanks

expvideo

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Since we all seem to be posting pics of our AKs, here's mine:
She's a beauty. How do you like those polymer mags? Do they feed well? And is that a 226?

The polymer mags take wonderful pictures, but they are only good enough to use on the range. I thought I would try them out, but after using them for a little while, I would never actually trust my life to them. Get some decent steel mags for the AK. If you really want to know when you are running low on ammo, throw in a tracer round as the third to last round. When you see the tracer round, switch mags. This method is much more reliable than anything you're going to find made in the US. The US made plastic ones are junk. They're really pretty though :D

And yes, that is a P226 with a steel slide, rather than the newer stainless steel slide (difference is that the slide is lighter and made of stamped steel, whereas the newer P226s have a slide machined from stainless steel bar stock) I love the older style Sigs. It's as reliable as the AK, and that's why I own both.