• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well I finally OC'd today

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was feeling frisky an figured I read enough law over and over, soI finally OC today

Most of the day was spent in my friend’s driveway helping fix his truck, he made a comment "exercising your right?", "you bet"I said. His neighbors that came and went did double takes. After about an hour of being there his little girl asked "is that your gun"

Me "yes it is"

Little girl "why do you have it with you"

Me “just incase of bad guys"

Little girl "oh ok"

I kind of thought it was amusing. My little 3yo was going on and on about it for a hour at home when I put it on this morning, I don’t mind her asking questions, I would rather her be educated than ignorant. My friend also mentioned it was kind of wild that I just had my gun out in the open.

After that I went to Impact Guns in Ogden to get the Utah laws 3rd ed. book, not out of the ordinary to see people carrying guns there I suppose.A friend of mine that works there commented on how heavy my Sig 220 ST is and said his XD 45 is lighter, slightly shorter, and holds 13rnds. I think I'll get that new XDm if I were to get one.

Then my little girl and I went to the new Lowes atWashington and North st here in Ogden. While I was getting out of the car I noticed people walking down the parking lot and stop in their tracks for a brief second, whispered something and then kept going, I really don’t know if it was because of me or what I didn’t pay too much attention to it. While in the store we were walking down the large isle way in the center of the store and a woman walking towards us made a quick left after staring at me, again don’t really know if it was me or what. Through out the rest or the time spent at the store and wandering around getting the items I wanted I made my way to the register all the while my little girl was not paying attention to me and just kept walking down the front of the store, so I had to call her and she did not respond, I raised my voice calling her again finally getting her attention I also got the attention or about a dozen other customers that I think by this point have all noticed my side arm. They all got quiet and stared at me, kind of strange for a second but later I thought it waskind of funny. The girl at the register was quite nice and smiley she didn’t seem to be bothered at all by it.

So all in all it was uneventful, I think I was just kind of nervous of what other people may do or say and the possibility of having a nice chat with LEO, I just hope I never have a confrontation with LEO like TJ has had, lol.

Well Sunday I think I'll go to wal-mart with it or where ever I got to find cayenne pepper

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Congratulations, not a "virgin":lol:anymore.

Sounds like it's worked out well so far. Remember...nice and courteous, mixed with a little bit of confidence, NOT cockinessand it will always work out well.

TJ

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:celebratelol yeah..

yeah I'm 99% of the time nice and courteous, It just really bugs me when LEO are cocky and rude even when your not but most of the time they calm down when you present a good additude towards them. I guess they probably get lots of crap or additudes all the time from other people so they may suspect you'll do the same not to mention your carrying a gun too.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Congrats. I went out, as usual this weekend to a rather packed chineese place close to where I live here in Vegas. I had so stand in line with about 10-15 other people while some of the food cooked because they went bingo on EVERYTHING just after the lunch rush.

Nothing said about my Glock, but some guy behind me did say "that is ******* rediculous.." I turned assuming he was refering to me. He nodded and looked at the people behind the line and said "fast food my ass..." I chuckled and said 'agree'd.'

thx997303

imported post

Funny thing at wal-mart today. I was in the electronics section looking for a bag for my laptop, and I hear "That guys got a gun!" I look up and see a guy with tatoos and piercings looking at me. When he notices I am looking at him, I smile and he asks "What kind of gun is that?" I respond "S&W Model 10" He says "Oh." and leaves.

Then I finished looking through the store and leave without any issues. Kind a funny eh? Oh and the other night I was walking through the Wal mart and the assistant manager was walking by me and says, "isn't there a law that says you can't have a gun in wal-mart?" I say no, she says oh and leaves.

I think she was just being lazy and didn't want to do anything.

Then on the same day, actually before that one, a lady that knew my wife stopped us to talk to my wife, she talks to my wife for a few minutes, then stops, looks at me and says "Is that real?" I say yes, she asks if it was legal, and I say yes, and I educate her a little on the subject. At the end she says, I think everyone needs to keep a gun. and leaves. This was after the OC meet at Golden corral.

Everyone that says anything is at wal-mart, with few exceptions.

Great decision to OC by the way.

ScottyT

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Oh and the other night I was walking through the Wal mart and the assistant manager was walking by me and says, "isn't there a law that says you can't have a gun in wal-mart?" I say no, she says oh and leaves.
Hahaha! That one is classic! I can see it now, the Wal-Mart Protecction Act of 2016...

GeneticsDave

imported post

The manager is obviosly well-versed in the way laws work. You see, laws are written to and designed for Wal-Mart in particular - the fact that we all must abide by them is just coincidence.

xmirage2kx

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Oh and the other night I was walking through the Wal mart and the assistant manager was walking by me and says, "isn't there a law that says you can't have a gun in wal-mart?" I say no, she says oh and leaves.
Hahaha! That one is classic! I can see it now, the Wal-Mart Protecction Act of 2016...
LOL

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another day OC'n...

Went to go shoot with my neighbor today, I've mentioned open carrying to him, hes got a CCP and just decides he'll keep it concealed. We went to Impact since it was wet out and was really close.

But first... We went to wal-mart (Harrisville/Ogden) to get more ammojust before weleft I printed out the pamphlet to have at the ready for the just in case and stuck it in my wallet. While making our way back to the sporting area I caught a man do a double take at me and really didn't pay too much attention to anyone else since I was talking to my friend.

While waiting for the girl (good looking girl, a plus) behind the counter to finish with the customer in front of me I noticed a wal-mart employee checking me out making circles, so to speak, around me at a distance the whole time we were there till we left out the door.

She got to us and when I lifted my arm revealing my sidearm she stepped back and got really really nervous, she just went about asking what we needed and after I told here I needed 3 types of ammo she couldn't stand still and her eyes got big. The case was locked and she didn't have keys so she called for the manager.

The next customer up had already noticed me, he asked her if he couldget another fishing licence since he lost his. I spoke up and said he can go to the wildlife office on the other side of town and get a duplicate if wal-mart cant do it, the girl behind the counter just looked at me, and the young guy asking for a licence just stood there didn't look at me and acted likeI didn't say a word.

So the manager came up took notice of my sidearm and asked what I needed, told him some .223,9mm, and .45. He helped me make a selection and rang me up, he seemed a bit nervous too.

Got toImpact and as normal there nothing exciting, just an employee or 2 taking notice. Shot a ton of ammo and different guns between thetwo of us, I got board of shooting targets and about $50-$60 in ammo so we went home.

So today was good I felt comfortable OC'nits the 2nd time out in the public, no one said anything not even my friends wife or kids.Although I think I would rather havethose people at wal-martask me any questions to put them at some ease.

The day isnot overyet, still going to the grocery store (smiths), maybe lowes, put gas in the car, and order pizza. Wonder how the pizza delivery person will react when I open the door with my gun on my hip?

thx997303

imported post

Good thng you noticed they were looking at you wierd. Situational Awareness at work. Yeah it really gets easier and easier each time you do it.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Good thng you noticed they were looking at you wierd. Situational Awareness at work. Yeah it really gets easier and easier each time you do it.

I think military training keeps me aware for the most part, but I think if your going to OC you really need to be aware, you become a target and most everyone notices you.

Ok so I went to Smiths to get some grocerys, oh and the gas station was uneventful since I paid at the pump and no one was around.So while at Smithsgot the usual looks and double takes, I spent about 20-30 min in the store. I get to the check out and a woman comes up to get in line behind me, the conveyor belt is half empty it wouldn't have taken that long, she starts to approach the belt and backs off to go to another line. Next the man and his maybe 10-12 year old son come up behind me, at this point the cashier is ringing me up andI'm standing all the way at the end of the check out stand while the man is still standing at the other end. What happened next kinda made me nervous, the boy stepped forward and stopped about 3 feet behind me, his dad ( i would assume) promptly stepped right between us just inches from my strong side soI stepped forward keeping about an arms length. Still no verbal comments.

Didn't make it to Lowes, but ordered pizza. The pizza guy came and it went like this.

pizza guy: hey nice piece

me: thanks its a sig 220 stainless .45

pizza guy: my room mate has his CCP and carries all the time, he has a .45 too I think its too big to conceal.

me: yeah they can be thats whyI open carry it.

pizza guy: well cool, got to deliver more pizza see ya later

me: thanks have a good one.

The pizza was from pizza hut, that was the one where the delivery guy shot the guy trying to rob him then he got fired for having a gun at work right? WellI didn't expect it to go like it did, I thought the delivery guy would just run off or be super nervous. I wanted to refer him here but he was in a hurry.

Outsider

imported post

Nice nice!!! Congrats! I've OCed to Jiffy Lube in Pleasant Grove and Monarch Honda in Orem today. Still have laundry, another JL stop for my truck (did the wife's car earlier), Wal-Mart, and whatever else we need to do today. Fun day of OC for everyone!!!

thx997303

imported post

I once again OC'd at wal-mart today. When I was ringing up a man asked me what kind it was, and then we had an hour and a half long conversation, I turned him onto here, so hopefully he'll be on.

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I once again OC'd at wal-mart today. When I was ringing up a man asked me what kind it was, and then we had an hour and a half long conversation, I turned him onto here, so hopefully he'll be on.
Nice nice. BTW, do you LIVE at Wal-Mart or something? You are like there every day.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

an hour and 1/2, wow!

I carry that UT gun law pamphlet in my wallet to give to any one and have a copy in each of my cars too, I have also memorized the law numbers that pertain to be able to OC.

Edit: no linky now :lol:

thx997303

imported post

Yeah, I live at wal-mart, I have anice tent back in sporting goods. It's pretty nice, but people are always trying to break into it to "See what it's like" Dirty so and so's, trying to steal my stuff.:banghead:

No It's just really close to my house and we are horrible at planning our trips.

That pamphlet is real nice to have around.
I would have more, but I have no printer.

You know the guy was apparently a gunsmith, and we were talking about various guns and etc. I had no idea we were talking that long, until I got home and my wife was PISSED.:what: After some fancy evasion (insert shifty eyed smiley here) I got off the hook.

Oh and did you add the link in the quote of me or did the thing automatically put it in itself?

Outsider

imported post

usSiR wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

an hour and 1/2, wow!

I carry that UT gun law pamphlet in my wallet to give to any one and have a copy in each of my cars too, I have also memorized the law numbers that pertain to be able to OC.

I printed it out and keep it in my back left pocket.