• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO Contact

DMR-223

imported post

Well we have been having record high temperatures the last two days here, and i decided to take my new rottweiller pup out for a walk. As always I left the house with my 1911 and spare reload firmly attached to my side, i was a little dressed up becuase an hour earlier i had finished my oral board interview at the local police department.:)

About five minutes into my walk i noticed Officer Kurht running a speed trap just down the street on my side of the road. i had done several ride alongs in the past with the police department and the latest one with him. i continued down the sidewalk and then paused briefly to untangle the pup's leash from his legs and i looked up to see him walking over. My puppy took refuge between my legs from the sun and sat down. Our conversation went as follows.

Officer Kurht : "Nice puppy..... aw is he scared?"

Me : "No, he is just shy around new people, he is really very friendly."

Officer Kurht : "Ahh, i see. Well i got a question for you."

Me : "Sure, whats up?"

Officer Kurht : "And I think you know whats coming...."

Me : "yes.."

Officer Kurht : " Do you always walk around with a gun?"

Me : "Yes, but i usually concealled carry, but its so hot out that i didnt want to deal with it today."

Officer Kurht : "Thats understandable, do you have a CPL?"

Me : "Yes, would you like to see it?"

Officer Kurht : "No, thats ok, i dont need to see it. Can i get your name?"

Me : "Yes.."

I took out my driver's license and cpl and them both over to him.

Me : "Washington is an open carry state and i dont have to have one, but i have no problem showing you."

Officer Kurht : "Its fine, im just taking your name in case somone calls it in."

Me : "No problem. I just got done with my oral board this morning."

Officer Kurht : "Oh, you did the testing yesterday? wow, it was a hot day for a PT test."

Me "yeah, i know, they couldn't have picked it better, but at least its over."

Officer Kurht : "Ok, well good luck, and try to stay cool."

Me : " Thanks, take it easy."

and with that he walked back to his patrol car and resumed monitoring the radar for speeders, it only took about a minute for him to see one and he took off after him.

and that was that. Officer Kurht is always very nice and easy to talk to, but he defenetly had his game face on when he came over initally to talk to me. I think he recognized me part way through becuase he tone changed and he became less assertive.

With that I should add that i believe this is the first LEO contact for Pullman and I pretty much had to walk right past him with my strong side showing to get a reaction.:celebrate

Shy_Panda

imported post

Good stuff. I've been in PPD while OCing, only in the entrance though, and there was nothing but friendly faces behind the counter. Also the cops have shifted their heads to get a better look while walking down the street but I have never been directly contacted, great news and good luck. Yesterday was a crappy day for a PT test.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:

Ack! Why did you show him anything?
BecauseOfficer Kurht said: "Its fine, im just taking your name in case somone calls it in." That way the officer would handle it and already dealt with it. All cops are not trying to screw you when they take you info. Why make things tough for everyone. It's about creating good relations and not having the cops thinking you're an a**hole.

bayfire66

imported post

I agree If you have nothing to hide why worry about it.It's easier to justmake it as smooth as possible. And Pullman is pretty small anyway so he should have no more problems anyway.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

DMR-223 wrote:
Officer Kurht : "Its fine, im just taking your name in case somone calls it in."
But if OC is legal, why would they want your name? Who cares who you are? And if you don't need a permit to OC, isn't having a permit for concealed carry irrelevant?

CC27

imported post

bayfire66 wrote:
I agree If you have nothing to hide why worry about it.It's easier to justmake it as smooth as possible. And Pullman is pretty small anyway so he should have no more problems anyway.
If you have nothing to hide why not let 'em search your house, or car. or personwhenever they feel like it?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:
But if OC is legal, why would they want your name? Who cares who you are? And if you don't need a permit to OC, isn't having a permit for concealed carry irrelevant?
Thats is exactly what the officer said, he didn't need to see the CPL. But it was offered freely, which is a smart move. The cop then knows you have nothing to hide. Damn, why must you guys be so confrontational even if the cop isn't.

Loneviking

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:

Why? So if dispatch gets another call of 'man with a gun', the officer gets on the radio and goes 'what was the suspect description?'--recieves description matching first encounter and replies '10-4, already checked and he's a permit holder'. Saves the cop a lot of time running down any calls like that when they come in.

With a CCW, you've been background checked, you've had at least a basic gun safety class and in some jurisdictions you've proven that you can at least hit the broad side of a barn. That gives cops a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Don't get on the wrong side of the friendly, professional cops! Bend a little....

Bear 45/70

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:

Why? So if dispatch gets another call of 'man with a gun', the officer gets on the radio and goes 'what was the suspect description?'--recieves description matching first encounter and replies '10-4, already checked and he's a permit holder'. Saves the cop a lot of time running down any calls like that when they come in.

With a CCW, you've been background checked, you've had at least a basic gun safety class and in some jurisdictions you've proven that you can at least hit the broad side of a barn. That gives cops a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Don't get on the wrong side of the friendly, professional cops! Bend a little....
In Washington, no class and no shooting test. You apply, pass the background check and you get your permit. Any schooling requirementviolates the Second Amendment.

UtahRSO

imported post

DMR-223 wrote:

Me : "Washington is an open carry state and i dont have to have one, but i have no problem showing you."

Officer Kurht : "Its fine, im just taking your name in case somone (SIC) calls it in.
Oh, for SURE! (sarcasm on) Good encounter! (sarcasm off).

BOHICA

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

CC27 wrote:
bayfire66 wrote:
If you have nothing to hide why not let 'em search your house, or car. or personwhenever they feel like it?
Excellent question.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:
Thats is exactly what the officer said, he didn't need to see the CPL. But it was offered freely, which is a smart move. The cop then knows you have nothing to hide. Damn, why must you guys be so confrontational even if the cop isn't.
I would consider irrelevant questioning to be somewhat confrontational.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
DMR-223 wrote:

Nothing wrong with having a safety class and being competent with a gun, but if you're OCing, are you required to attend a class or demonstate competence? As public servants, the police ought to be concerned with getting on the wrong side of citizens who are not engaged in anything illegal.

Misguided Child

imported post

Why do we have all these out of staters with chips on their shoulders giving us their opinions when they don't know the law? or the difference between a CCW (?) and the CPL we carry?

Interesting avatar there Bear...

Mortech

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Why do we have all these out of staters with chips on their shoulders giving us their opinions when they don't know the law? or the difference between a CCW (?) and the CPL we carry?
+1 It does seem the out of staters do that alot , envious of our laws perhaps ?

Loneviking

imported post

Mortech wrote:
Misguided Child wrote:
+1 It does seem the out of staters do that alot , envious of our laws perhaps ?
Riiight....Nevada is a gold star open carry state while your state is what color? Go ahead and look, and then reconsider the envy angle.....

just_a_car

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Riiight....Nevada is a gold star open carry state while your state is what color? Go ahead and look, and then reconsider the envy angle.....
I wouldn't put much weight into that colored map. The only reason we aren't gold is because you have to have a CPL to carry in a vehicle and you can't carry in a bar or lounge. But, unlike some gold star states, we can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, just not in the area designated "No Minors" by the state Liquor Control Board.

Honestly, our laws are, on the whole, better than many of the so-called "gold star" states shown. Our only issue is that LEOs and the public aren't as up to date on them as they should be.

Oh... and there appears to be something on your shoulder you may wish to brush off.....

Loneviking

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Loneviking wrote:
I wouldn't put much weight into that colored map. The only reason we aren't gold is because you have to have a CPL to carry in a vehicle and you can't carry in a bar or lounge. But, unlike some gold star states, we can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, just not in the area designated "No Minors" by the state Liquor Control Board.

Honestly, our laws are, on the whole, better than many of the so-called "gold star" states shown. Our only issue is that LEOs and the public aren't as up to date on them as they should be.

Oh... and there appears to be something on your shoulder you may wish to brush off.....

Hey, I didn't start this pissing contest and the comments about envy---that came completely out of the blue and wasuncalled for. That's the reason for my return comments. And FYI--in Nevada you CAN carry in a resturant that serves alcohol, and drink as long as your blood alcohol stays under .10. We can also carry open or concealed in a car....so don't get too uppity about how good your laws are.

Sheesh, make a comment on getting along with a LEO and look where it leads...:cuss: