• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bicycle=Vehicle??

kenshin

imported post

This may have already been posted here, but I haven't been able to find the thread. Is a bicycle considered a vehicle and therefore you would be required to have a CPL if you are riding while OCing? Thanks in advance.

John Hardin

imported post

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

The statute explicitly says "in any vehicle", so unless you have a streamlining coccoon or some such surrounding where you sit, I don't think bicycles or motorcycles trigger the CPL requirement. I'd wager carrying while sitting in a motorcycle sidecar would require a CPL, but not while on the motorcycle itself.

IANAL, tho.

just_a_car

imported post

IIRC, we had a thread regarding motorcycles where someone found an RCW that listed them as "vehicles" and it was a grey area where there was no test case to determine if the "in the vehicle" part applied. As for bicycles, I'm unsure if we've covered that, but they would likely be considered a vehicle as being a form of transport legal to operate on the road. IANAL.

peekaboo

imported post

Folks,

Might want to read this:

RCW46.04.670

[/b]"Vehicle" includes every device capable of being moved upon a public highway and in, upon, or by which any persons or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway, including bicycles. The term does not include power wheelchairs or devices other than bicycles moved by human or animal power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. Mopeds shall not be considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.70 RCW. Bicycles shall not be considered vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16, or 46.70 RCW. Electric personal assistive mobility devices are not considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16, 46.29, 46.37, or 46.70

joeroket

imported post

peekaboo wrote:
Folks,

Might want to read this:

RCW46.04.670

"Vehicle" includes every device capable of being moved upon a public highway and in, upon, or by which any persons or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway, including bicycles. The term does not include power wheelchairs or devices other than bicycles moved by human or animal power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. Mopeds shall not be considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.70 RCW. Bicycles shall not be considered vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16, or 46.70 RCW. Electric personal assistive mobility devices are not considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16, 46.29, 46.37, or 46.70
Oh right you are. I remembered the previous discussion on this subject wrong. There are a number of places that define vehicle and all are contained withing 46.70 but the main definition, the one you posted, is the absolute definition unless otherwise stated in the referenced codes.

expvideo

imported post

joeroket wrote:
We have covered this before and because they are not driven by a motor for use upon a roadway they are not by definition a vehicle.

But tell that to those jerks who go 15 miles an hour in a 35 and won't get over to let cars by because "they have every right to use the road just like everyone else".

In my experience, bicyclists are generally inconsiderate and self centered.

just_a_car

imported post

expvideo wrote:
joeroket wrote:
We have covered this before and because they are not driven by a motor for use upon a roadway they are not by definition a vehicle.

But tell that to those jerks who go 15 miles an hour in a 35 and won't get over to let cars by because "they have every right to use the road just like everyone else".

In my experience, bicyclists are generally inconsiderate and self centered.
You forgot "entitled".