Thread: Fight over the Dickson Dozen 911 tapes erupts on First Amendment forum!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://openrecordspa.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1211215694

Just what is Lackawanna County afraid of? Maybe that the caller(s) were just trying to create a problem and had no :emergency" to report??

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Maybe I'm looking at the thread wrong, but it doesn't look like much of a fight... :?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

True, it's not much of a fight at all. Our hands are tied behind our back, and the 911 call center has extra fists. Not much of a fight at all.

Post imported post

How about if one of us calls up the county and pretends to be an anti-gun, pro-tyranny news outlet (I think I was redundant there), and then asks for the tapes?

Post imported post

This must change.

The state prohibiting public access to public records is simply un-American.

State Researcher

Post imported post

What if they are subpoenaed ?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    In the discussion forum thread linked at the top of the page, the moderator gives lots of information, including a little that addresses this exact point.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    In the discussion forum thread linked at the top of the page, the moderator gives lots of information, including a little that addresses this exact point.
    I guess I am blind. I dn't see "subpoena" anywhere in the text.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Pa. Patriot wrote:
    I guess I am blind. I dn't see "subpoena" anywhere in the text.
    Lawsuit in court, gotta prove the necessity. This would be just for a suit to get the info under sunshine law.

I imagine if it involved a lawsuit against the city for a rights violation, say wrongful death--run over by a police car or something--that a subpoena to getevidence in the lawsuit might get it. I'm not at familiar with how discovery works.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

How about a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

There is no Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, instead we have the Right to Know Law (RTKL), and 911 tapes, per the RTKL, are exempt from release as public documents.

A new, improved RTKL takes effect next year, but even this version still exempts 911 tapes from release.

It takes a court order, period. Without a court order, the 911 agency may release it at their discretion, if they feel it's in the public's interest. If they don't feel like doing it, then it's a court issue.