• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to the NRA range today

eyesopened

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I will have to look into taking a class soon then. What kind of class should I be taking?

pourshot taught a class that i took at shooters paradise, i took it to get the certification needed for my CHP, but i would have paid twice as much just to learn the stance that he teaches!
+1 got the same instruction. Luckily I took the class early in my shooting "career" so I hadn't developed any bad habits yet.

ODA 226

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I will look into getting lessons a little later this summer. I want to become a little more experienced in shooting before I sign up for any lessons and can make the most of them. .

Bad idea! Its is MUCH easier for an instructor to teach a student who has no habits vs. someone who has already developed bad habits (not assuming that you have bad habits, just a general statement).

Some of my best students are folks who are shooting for the first time.

Jim
+2000!

Jim Thorpe

imported post

While we are on a related topic, I just got back from the range and had my first three jams... Check it out...

New SigP229 9mm. Put through about 500 rounds without one jam.

Then, today, while shooting 200 rounds, had 3-4 jams. All of the jams were the same: the cartridge failed to eject from the chamber, and the next round was loaded either in the chamber pushing the spent cartridge upward, or somewhat behind the spent round and pushing the spent round into the barrel.

Thoughts? I am thinking that I may have over-oiled it. That seems to be the most logical considering the firearm is brand new and it did not happen during the first 500 rounds.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Kodiak- Can you link me to the site with the info? Thanks!
Proshooter- If I took a class at your facilities, should I look into private lessons? What would I need to bring to the class? Thanks a lot!

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
While we are on a related topic, I just got back from the range and had my first three jams... Check it out...

Then, today, while shooting 200 rounds, had 3-4 jams. All of the jams were the same: the cartridge failed to eject from the chamber, and the next round was loaded either in the chamber pushing the spent cartridge upward, or somewhat behind the spent round and pushing the spent round into the barrel.

Thoughts? I am thinking that I may have over-oiled it. That seems to be the most logical considering the firearm is brand new and it did not happen during the first 500 rounds.
I think this is called stovepiping... So perhaps I shot a few limpwristed? Although it is weird how I have not had this happen before. Maybe a limp wrist combined with too much oil caused it...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I will have to look into taking a class soon then. What kind of class should I be taking?

pourshot taught a class that i took at shooters paradise, i took it to get the certification needed for my CHP, but i would have paid twice as much just to learn the stance that he teaches!
I'd love to see the stance. I've always been told by "veteran" LE firearms instructors that my stance is as unorthodox as they come, yet I shoot 99's and 100's on turning targets and they can't beat me. Canit be that someone else has an unusual stance likeme? :)

ODA 226

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

I think this is called stovepiping... So perhaps I shot a few limpwristed? Although it is weird how I have not had this happen before. Maybe a limp wrist combined with too much oil caused it...

1. Were you using the same type/lot of ammo?

2. Never apply excessive lube to your weapon! If you do, the lube will attract all sorts of dust-bunnies etc. that can cause your weapon to malfunction at the most "inappropriate" time! It can also penetrate your ammo primers and again, cause you great "embarassment" at the moment of truth!

I use a very light coat of "Marvel Mystery Oil". It has low viscocity,doesn't penetrate ammo primers and doesn't attract dirt.

3. "Limpwristing" can cause stovepipes. Adjust your firing position and hands ensuring that you have a firm grip, but not an excessive one.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

2. Never apply excessive lube to your weapon! If you do, the lube will attract all sorts of dust-bunnies etc. that can cause your weapon to malfunction at the most "inappropriate" time! It can also penetrate your ammo primers and again, cause you great "embarassment" at the moment of truth!

I use a very light coat of "Marvel Mystery Oil". It has low viscocity,doesn't penetrate ammo primers and doesn't attract dirt.

3. "Limpwristing" can cause stovepipes. Adjust your firing position and hands ensuring that you have a firm grip, but not an excessive one.
Thanks ODA. Yes, I was using the same type of ammo, but not sure if it came from the same box - they were probably different boxes considering the frequency of the problem. I.e., the second cartridge of the day was the first to jam, and then it happened 3-4 times during the next 200 rounds.

I am thinking that it may have been excessive lube because A. the gun is new; B. the magazines are both new. Maybe the lube caused the cartridge to get stuck on the inside of the chamber? I am no expert, but that seems like a possibility.

Right now I am letting BreakFree soak in, and then I am going to do a clean and barely provide any lube - just small dots of Slip2000 on the slide rails and a little on the outside of the barrel. Should I have no lubrication on the part of the barrel where the cartridge sits inside the chamber?

eyesopened

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I'd love to see the stance. I've always been told by "veteran" LE firearms instructors that my stance is as unorthodox as they come, yet I shoot 99's and 100's on turning targets and they can't beat me. Canit be that someone else has an unusual stance likeme? :)
I think it's a mix ofmodern isoceles stance and traditional isoceles. The feet areabout shoulder width apart, knees slightly flexed/bent and body is leaned forward so shoulders are closer to target. Shoulders are squared on target and I use a "thumbs forward" grip on the pistol. I find it works for me, may not work for others but that's the point of practicing.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

Thanks ODA. Yes, I was using the same type of ammo, but not sure if it came from the same box - they were probably different boxes considering the frequency of the problem. I.e., the second cartridge of the day was the first to jam, and then it happened 3-4 times during the next 200 rounds.

I am thinking that it may have been excessive lube because A. the gun is new; B. the magazines are both new. Maybe the lube caused the cartridge to get stuck on the inside of the chamber? I am no expert, but that seems like a possibility.

Right now I am letting BreakFree soak in, and then I am going to do a clean and barely provide any lube - just small dots of Slip2000 on the slide rails and a little on the outside of the barrel. Should I have no lubrication on the part of the barrel where the cartridge sits inside the chamber?

That little bottle that came with your new sig, USE IT!!!!! MILITEC works wonders follow the directions 3 times. The other added benefit is how easy it makes cleaning! I used it on every metal surface!

happy carrying

jason

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Kodiak/Jason:

That's a riot... I know, I always hear about the Miltec and it did indeed come with the Sig. however, you have to throw your gun in the oven to make that stuff work and I haven't gotten around to that yet!!

ProShooter

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

"Limpwristing" can cause stovepipes. Adjust your firing position and hands ensuring that you have a firm grip, but not an excessive one.

+1 Make sure that the web of your hand is high into the tang.

PS - This is what a stove pipe looks like......

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/Image:Mal_type2_1_383.jpg
130428_glock_23_stovepipe.jpg

ProShooter

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

I think it's a mix ofmodern isoceles stance and traditional isoceles. The feet areabout shoulder width apart, knees slightly flexed/bent and body is leaned forward so shoulders are closer to target. Shoulders are squared on target and I use a "thumbs forward" grip on the pistol. I find it works for me, may not work for others but that's the point of practicing.
That sounds identical to my stance, with a variation on the "thumbs forward". I also pull the gun in close to my eyes.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

"Limpwristing" can cause stovepipes. Adjust your firing position and hands ensuring that you have a firm grip, but not an excessive one.

+1 Make sure that the web of your hand is high into the tang.

PS - This is what a stove pipe looks like......

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/Image:Mal_type2_1_383.jpg
130428_glock_23_stovepipe.jpg
Thanks for the continued follow-up. This is not what happens. Funny though, because I used to shoot a Luger when I was younger and the Luger CONSTANTLY stovepipes... That's why they stopped issuing them actually because it was such a problem.

Anyway, the issue with my p229 today was not exactly a stovepipe. Instead, the empty casing never even left the edge of the barrel, and the new cartridge was loaded behind it or somewhat underneath it (however it could fit). But it was almost as if the casing got "stuck" up against the barrel.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Tap and rack thread

Watch the video in that thread on how to clear your pistol.

This guy is great!! He kind of lost me when he started talking about bacon and french fries, but what a riot.

By the way, his type two or type three - the one in which you have to cartridges in the chamber - is exactly my problem. I cleared it the same way he did, albeit much slower! Suffice it to say, in a gunfight I would be toast.