• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to the NRA range today

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I went to the NRA range today from 11 to 12 and put 100 more rounds through my Glock 19. Here is my last target. Most of it was 2 shot bursts at 30 feet. The top two were attempted head shots and then I concentrated on center of mass. Today was more about learning how to quickly load, get on target, and get the important shots off. I think I did ok for only having 250rds total under my belt. I can't wait to go to the range again I really loved going this time. I went with a friend who has a Beretta 9mm. Not sure what model it is. Anyways here is a pic for you guys. I eliminated my flinch completely from fry fire practice last week. I was very happy with that. I also found out that I wasn't squeezing hard enough on my trigger hand and that was causing my bullets to go left some.:banghead: I am working on correcting that and will continue to work on that next time I go.:) Also forgot to mention that I need to work on my follow up shots. That seems to be my big downfall right now. I'm sure the more I practice the better I will get:lol:
n1572900686_30333495_3565.jpg

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Do you know about the trigger reset on a glock?

As for she squeezing with your trigger hand, that's a negative. Try this: make a fist and point out your index finger. now close it like you're pressing the trigger back and forth. Now squeeze real hard.

Now try it without squeezing very hard. See how much easier that is?

Squeeze with your supporting hand, not your trigger hand. Make sure your hands are high on the grip and inline as much as possible with the barrel. Thumbs forward and supporting the frame. I keep my left thumb on that spot just forward of the take-down lever.

And always remember:

Front sight
Front sight
Front sight
Front sight
Front sight

Glock27Bill

imported post

I frequently need to remind myself to gently pull the trigger with the pad of my index finger, NOT 'squeeze' it with the first joint Squeezing the trigger with the first joint merely torques the gun off-target.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

Speaking about dry firing, what is the best "gerry rig" way to block the hammer from striking if I want to practice dry firing, yet I have not purchased a proper striker block?

Should I just put a wad of cloth in there or something? What do you guys suggest?

ODA 226

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
Speaking about dry firing, what is the best "gerry rig" way to block the hammer from striking if I want to practice dry firing, yet I have not purchased a proper striker block?

Should I just put a wad of cloth in there or something? What do you guys suggest?
Buy "Snap Caps" and use them.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

+1

nova

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I frequently need to remind myself to gently pull the trigger with the pad of my index finger, NOT 'squeeze' it with the first joint Squeezing the trigger with the first joint merely torques the gun off-target.

This is a big 'issue' with me. I have pretty large hands so the natural position for my finger to rest on the trigger is at the first joint. For the past 4 years (since I started shooting) I've almost always shot off-center. A few months ago I found a thread on a gun forum I frequent that addressed this issue. After reading that I should be using the pad of the index finger, I'm shooting dead center.

Dry firing definately helps with flinching as well. A year or two ago, I could take any pistol, and make shotgun patterns on the target. Now I can actually shoot what could be called a group :D

ProShooter

imported post

nova wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

This is a big 'issue' with me. I have pretty large hands so the natural position for my finger to rest on the trigger is at the first joint. For the past 4 years (since I started shooting) I've almost always shot off-center. A few months ago I found a thread on a gun forum I frequent that addressed this issue. After reading that I should be using the pad of the index finger, I'm shooting dead center.

Dry firing definately helps with flinching as well. A year or two ago, I could take any pistol, and make shotgun patterns on the target. Now I can actually shoot what could be called a group :D
Have you considered taking shooting lessons? Sometimes having a qualified instructor watching you makes all the difference.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

When these snap caps come in packs of five, how many times can you actually use each one before it goes bad? Just once? Or multiple times?

ODA 226

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Have you considered taking shooting lessons? Sometimes having a qualified instructor watching you makes all the difference.

+1000!

When I was training Iraqi security forces at Taji, a very respected SF instructor named "Bill" was teaching a basic pistol course to our students.

When "Bill" saw me sitting in the back of the class, he introduced me to the class as one of the best shooters that the regiment had produced and then asked me why I was sitting in his BPC because I didn't need to be there.

I told him that I was there because I knew thatI could learn something new from him (after all he had a reputation as being a fabulous instructor)and felt that he could help me improve my shooting skills even though I was an advanced shooter.

"Bill" was stunned and honored by what I said and with his instruction, I managed to cut a full 2 seconds off of my qualification time. That may not sound like much, but at my shooting level, that is like an Olympic sprinter shaving off .03 seconds in the 100 meter dash!

There is always room for improvement no matter how proficent you are with your weapon. I take EVERY opportunity to capitalize on professional instruction/ training even if I have more "raw talent" than the instructor.

Having a pro observe and coach you will ALWAYS improve your shooting. if I were you, I'd definately heed ProShooter's EXCELLENT advice!

BTW:CRF250rider1000andBravo_Sierra:

Could you guys please copy and post your pics and stories in this thread? I'm trying to keep that thread alive. Thanks!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/9952.html

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:

Absolutely buy snap caps. In a pinch (gerry rig as you said) you could use spent brass, but you run the danger of scratching up your ramp and chamber unless you work on the case mouth a bit to eliminate any sharp edges.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I will look into getting lessons a little later this summer. I want to become a little more experienced in shooting before I sign up for any lessons and can make the most of them. Right now I only have put 250rds through it total. I really love it so far and I definitely plan on taking lessons sometime this summer. What are some good places around here for lessons that are not too expensive. Also what kind of training do you all reccomend? Another thing is that I am having a hard time keeping the front sight in focus. I think I just need to train my eye to keep focused on the front sight. I always try, but for some reason my eye just keeps making the sights blurry and then clear and so on.

ODA 226- I will have to look into ProStooter's classes later today.

ODA 226

imported post

Like Bravo_Sierra said: FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT!

The reason your sights are blurring could be from a multitude of things, but I suspect that (as with most novice shooters) you are NOT keeping focus on the front sight, but are actually looking THROUGH the sights and focusing on the target. This is a recipe for disaster!

Make sure that your front sight is clear and that the target is blurry. I know this is counter-intuitive but you must train yourself through repetition to focus everything on that front sight!

I hope this helps!

ufcfanvt

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

It's alright to treat your gun well, but any weapon that can't stand to be repeatedly dry fired, shouldn't be relied on in a gun fight.
Glocks are very durable in this respect.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Jim Thorpe wrote:

It's alright to treat your gun well, but any weapon that can't stand to be repeatedly dry fired, shouldn't be relied on in a gun fight.
Glocks are very durable in this respect.
Glocks are one of the pistols that can be dry fired without issue. People have posted over 20,000 dry fires without any issues what so ever.

ProShooter

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I will look into getting lessons a little later this summer. I want to become a little more experienced in shooting before I sign up for any lessons and can make the most of them. .

Bad idea! Its is MUCH easier for an instructor to teach a student who has no habits vs. someone who has already developed bad habits (not assuming that you have bad habits, just a general statement).

Some of my best students are folks who are shooting for the first time.

Jim

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I haven't considered any actual lessons, though I met a Marine at a local range who watched me shoot and gave me some good training afterwards, with stance and breathing/trigger discipline, after he was done with me I saw a MAJOR improvement in my shooting.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I will have to look into taking a class soon then. What kind of class should I be taking?

pourshot taught a class that i took at shooters paradise, i took it to get the certification needed for my CHP, but i would have paid twice as much just to learn the stance that he teaches!