• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Shooting Classes

Misguided Child

imported post

Firearms Academy is excellent. I've taken Defensive Handgun, Handgun retention and I'm taking LFI1 with Massad Ayoob in July through them. Intensive courses and great instructors.

elcapo

imported post

G27 wrote:
elcapo wrote:
http://www.insightstraining.com

I've taken six courses from Insights, and plan to continue. I've never been dissappointed, and the instructors are top notch.

I click on the link and both gentleman are holding the gun in firing position by the slide. I hope they don't fire it like that! :what:

Actually that grip is one of the most stable you'll use. You will find that you're not actually touching the slide, but merely pointing both thumbs at the target. It helps to close the gap between the meaty parts of your thumbs (there shouldn't be one) so that you have the most stable firing platform you can get. It's hard to explain something like a grip from a single angle photo, but I shot 1500 rounds this last weekend from my Glocks using that grip without any harm in any way to my hands.

I'll also note that it allows the shooter to have that stable firing platform from nearly any position. Forward facing, ready position, on ground between legs, on ground over head, kneeling, prone, etc.

Additionally if you lost your weak hand in a fight (or it was busy doing something), you simply remove that hand from the grip but the grip doesn't change. If you try to do that with your grip i'll bet you are forced to modify the grip on your strong hand. This helps enable the shooter to learn one system which will work in all the various scenarios w/o having different grips for each thing that comes along.

I'm not looking to get into an arguement about styles, but I wanted to put some context around what you saw. Please read some course descriptions and some of the material before discounting anything. Better yet, take some training as it's the gun-money you'll ever spend.

wqbang

imported post

I second Firearms Academy of Seattle. I have taken their Basic handgun Safety course (only $35 for 6 hours of training!), Defensive Handgun(formerly FAS-2) an will be attending the Defensive Handgun Tuneup this summer.

The owner Marty Hayes is also a valued member of this forum.

gsx1138

imported post

Thanks guys. I'm a bit new to shooting again. It's been 12+ years since I've picked up a gun. However, I've field stripped my XD and fired a good 500 rounds through it so far. I'm getting much more comfortable with shooting. All that said, I'll probably look into the Firearms Academy of Seattle. I'd like to take a Defensive Handgun course.

Now to convince the wife.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have a Master level from FAS and enjoyed myself in the process. Marty Hayes is superb and the training is serious but fun. Night room and 360 degree range is impressive. Some training included, such as house clearing, may or may not be relevent to the average OC'er.

It will be the best money you ever spendon training.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I'll also give a recommendation for Insights in Issaquah. My wife and I both took defensive handgun there and it was great. We're both much more confident in our abilities, we're faster, and we're safer. Highly recommended.

My wife actually ended up taking an unarmed self defense class there as well and loved it. I've been considering taking the defensive folding knife course and will probably take defensive rifle once Bushmaster gets off their collective ass and releases the Masada.