• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfering a handgun from out of state family member to one in state

bennor

imported post

Has anyone ever received or transferred a handgun to or from a family member, say a father or mother who lives out of state when you live in Connecticut? Basically I’m trying to find out if there are provisions (I haven’t found one yet) that allows say a father or mother who no longer has a CT license and lives in either NJ or NY to transfertheir handguns totheir son or daughter without having to go though the process of paying twoFFL people and the shipping fees between them. What about with shotguns and long guns, any restrictions there?

And to take this food for thought question one or two step further, what happens if a family member who does live in CT finds a handgun or shotgun/rifle in storage (attic or basement) of their house that was purchased by a long since divorced spouse who no longer lives in CT. Can the person who finds the gun sell it or transfer it to another family member? And what happens if a family member dies who owns guns? Can any sibling legally take possession of the guns?

CTHunter

imported post

HI

Afew years ago my father in law died in FL, so the weapons that he had pistol and long gunsbecame my wifes.

Weflew down and flew back to PAwith them in a hard and locked caseand drove back to CT from there, locked and secured.

hope this answers your questions

tarzan1888

imported post

You can check the Federal Law for yourself.

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federalfirearmslaws.htm

Remember that indivigual state laws may be more restrictive.

In a nut shell. If gun is willed to or left to someone out of state, that's OK.

If a gun is loaned to someone out of state, that's OK.

If a gun is given to or sold to someone out of state, it has to go through FFL.

Go to the link and read and decide for yourself.

Tarzan

bennor

imported post

Thanks for the replies. So, correct me if I'm wrong,it looks like a family member could bring the handgun into CT (without a license in CT)and they along withtheCT licensed permit holdermeetwith FFL person to do the transfer. I've been reading various lawsforCT, NY and NJand it isn't really clear if the person who currently owns a gun wants to transfer, not sell it to another family member can do so and how they go about doing so and who has to be licensed where. And when I asked a local gun store about this I also got some conflicting information from what the link fedcoplaw.com firearms link indicates.

And I've found out today after reading various state gun laws that as a currentlegal gun owner I DONT ever want to move to NJ with the gun laws they have now.

buketdude

imported post

bennor wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So, correct me if I'm wrong,it looks like a family member could bring the handgun into CT (without a license in CT)and they along withtheCT licensed permit holdermeetwith FFL person to do the transfer. I've been reading various lawsforCT, NY and NJand it isn't really clear if the person who currently owns a gun wants to transfer, not sell it to another family member can do so and how they go about doing so and who has to be licensed where. And when I asked a local gun store about this I also got some conflicting information from what the link fedcoplaw.com firearms link indicates.

And I've found out today after reading various state gun laws that as a currentlegal gun owner I DONT ever want to move to NJ with the gun laws they have now.
If the handgun is coming from out of state there is no need to go to an FFL...there is no registration in CT..not sure about NJ/NY.....you ONLY need a permit in CT to "buy" a handgun here or to carry one in public...you DO NOT need a permit to have a handgun in your home/buisness....there is no need to go to an FFL at all for a rifle/shotgun...private sales, even amongst friends require no paperwork or notification..

tarzan1888

imported post

bennor wrote:
I've been reading various laws for CT, NY and NJ and it isn't really clear if the person who currently owns a gun wants to transfer, not sell it to another family member can do so and how they go about doing so and who has to be licensed where. And when I asked a local gun store about this I also got some conflicting information from what the link fedcoplaw.com firearms link indicates.....

That is why you need to check state gun laws too.

In Maryland, for example, if your dad leaves you a gun in his will, you still have to receive it at a FFL.

As you have noted some states have some really bad gun laws.

Tarzan

bennor

imported post

Thanks for the input tarzan1888 and buketdude. I think the next time I visit one of my family members in New Jersey and New York I'll (if I can find a local shop) swing by a gunshop in their area to see what their local shops say. Surprisingly, one of my family members in New Jersey said that Walmarts in their area don't carry amunition and only cary limited hunting equipment during hunting season (according to a person who they spoke to at Walmart).

buketdude

imported post

bennor wrote:
Thanks for the input tarzan1888 and buketdude. I think the next time I visit one of my family members in New Jersey and New York I'll (if I can find a local shop) swing by a gunshop in their area to see what their local shops say. Surprisingly, one of my family members in New Jersey said that Walmarts in their area don't carry amunition and only cary limited hunting equipment during hunting season (according to a person who they spoke to at Walmart).
wow..i know the 2 walmarts near me in CT stopped selling guns(east windsor and manchester)..but they still carry pistol ammo..but i have been to walmarts in ct that still sell guns (torrington) and some that dont even sell any ammo (hartford)