• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In carbon county

Joker3092

imported post

Hey guys and gals. I am moving up to Pa friday and will be living in the pocono mountain area. i was wondering if anyone has any OC stories or experiencein that area. I have seen some posts on here of some OCers being "harrassed" by local LEOs ( though haven't seen anything about carbon county). I was just really wondering if anyone has had any run ins with the authorites up there? Or what you guys would suggest. Thanks alot

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Regardless of where you move in the Commonwealth, based on all the discussion over the Dickson City Incident you should now be much better informed should any police officer attempt to harrass you.

Ohio v. Terry - SCOTUS ruling all about - Terry stops.

Hiibel vs. 6th Judicial District Court of Nevada - SCOTUS ruling concerning providing identification to the police (verbal okay, no papers required).

Florida v. J.L. - SCOTUS ruling all about "anonymous" calls to the police.

Hawkins v. Commonwealth - PASC ruling all about open carry being legal.

Probably a few more cases, but these are the basics.

stephpd

imported post

Joker3092 wrote:
Hey guys and gals. I am moving up to Pa friday and will be living in the pocono mountain area. i was wondering if anyone has any OC stories or experiencein that area. I have seen some posts on here of some OCers being "harrassed" by local LEOs ( though haven't seen anything about carbon county). I was just really wondering if anyone has had any run ins with the authorites up there? Or what you guys would suggest. Thanks alot
You will want to look here for experiences on both open and cocealed carry in PA:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/

Feel free to become a member and share your questions and experiences.:D

Evans86

imported post

Well so far i have never OC in carbon but CC for quite a while. I am currently in Afghanistan serving my country in the national guard, but as soon as i get home i am going to start OC. I always knew that it wasn't illegal to OC in PA but i have heard stories of brandishing a wepon and now that i have seen that isn't the case in this lovely state, i will be changing my method of carry as soon as i arive back home.
While i am posting something, i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on places of work saying you are not aloud to carry a wepon while working. My wife just got a job at a Turkey Hill and even tho it is not a high crime area, she has a CCW for PA and i feel more comfortable with her haveing it and i do not like thefact that turkey hill says she cannot have it but me only being a customer can enter the place with my firearms with no problem-CC or OC... they have no restictions for customers.

imperialism2024

imported post

Evans86 wrote:
While i am posting something, i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on places of work saying you are not aloud to carry a wepon while working. My wife just got a job at a Turkey Hill and even tho it is not a high crime area, she has a CCW for PA and i feel more comfortable with her haveing it and i do not like thefact that turkey hill says she cannot have it but me only being a customer can enter the place with my firearms with no problem-CC or OC... they have no restictions for customers.
As a general rule of thumb...

If you're not working on Federal property (where carrying would be illegal), you need to assess the risk of the need to carry a gun versus getting fired. And recognize that if you ever have to use your gun in self-defense while on the job, you might be fired for that... a reassessment of how one evaluates the use of force is necessary: it's not worth shooting someone and being fired over a shoplifter, but might be worthwhile to defend against an attempted rape.

If you're working for an employer that bans guns for employees, tell no one that you carry. I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't talk about your shooting hobby at work either... don't let anyone know you are so much as a gun owner. Remember, even your friends could accidentally pass on the information to your employer. See "deep concealment".

If you work in a job where you come into physical contact with other people (see LPN/RN), you may want to weigh heavily the consequences of a customer or coworker "discovering" your sidearm.

Working at a convenience store, especially on night shifts, might make a good case for carrying a gun. A career is not at stake, and there is a high probability of personal injury.