• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Today at the Oit in Capitol Forest.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr, sv_libertarian and myself met up for and OC breakfast at The Red Barn off exit 95 on I-5 and then drove over to the Pit to do a little shooting. Misted a couple of times but no real rain. Shot a bunch of guns and hada good time. Here's a couple of pics. Ask M1gunr about steel butt plates and heavy loads.

M1Gunr and sv_libertarian

P5200001.jpg

Some of the toys.

P5200002.jpg

Some more toys.

P5200003.jpg

sv-libertarian shooting his beater 1911.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
that 1911 flips way too much for you... I hope you don't carry that for self defense.
I was hitting on target, plus it's my first .45. I'm happy with it. It works quite dandy for minute of bad guy.

My carry gun though is a 6" security six.

CC27

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
that 1911 flips way too much for you... I hope you don't carry that for self defense.
Seriously, do people look for any reason they can to tryto sound smart?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Steel butt plates and heavy loads? Sounds like my '03 Springfield! :D
H&R "Buffalo Classic" in 45/70 Government with a 32" barrel shooting Ruger #1 loads at 50,000 CUP pressures, normal loads are 28,000 CUP. Makes an '06 seem like a 22.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Easily fixed by a minor adjustment to the shooter's grip. Excess muzzle flip is only a problem with less powerful rounds like 9mm which causes feed jams. 45ACP 1911's just don't do that.

uncoolperson

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I was hitting on target, plus it's my first .45. I'm happy with it. It works quite dandy for minute of bad guy.

beater in age or just beat up real good (or both?)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Bear - H&R "Buffalo Classic" in 75/70 Government with a 32" barrel shooting Ruger #1 loads at 50,000 CUP pressures, normal loads are 28,000 CUP. Makes an '06 seem like a 22.

My battle scars from that Buffalo Gun..... The shoulder sure is stiff this morning.

Bear 45/70

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Another boat owner had it on his boat and had no clue as to how to disassemble it or clean it. So he used pliers and a hammer to try to take it apart and then just left it in the boat with no oil on it to prevent rust and corrosion. Otherwise it looks like crap but has been hardly used and shoots well. Hell, it is still stiff like new, after a complete disasemble and clean up.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Bear - H&R "Buffalo Classic" in 75/70 Government with a 32" barrel shooting Ruger #1 loads at 50,000 CUP pressures, normal loads are 28,000 CUP. Makes an '06 seem like a 22.

My battle scars from that Buffalo Gun..... The shoulder sure is stiff this morning.
I was impressed by your willingness to keep shooting that thing. Most call it quits after 3 to 5 rounds. You did around 20 or so. Then again track toads are slow learners sometime, but you never did quit grinning.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Just beat up. Hammer dents and plier marks where there should be none... guy I got it from let it freeze up on his boat and had no clue what he was doing. I almost felt bad trading my nice clean P89 to him for it, but I sat down with him and put him through the take down steps, so who knows.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Dammit, that makes me want a 1911 even more seeing that vid. :D
Everyone should have at least one 1911! Better yet one of each manufacturer, model and variation there of also.
I agree on the first one. I really want a Kimber Pro CDP II, but just can't justify the price. I just love the blued frame and silver-colored and/or chromed slide look on a 1911 with rosewood grips; so sexy.

compmanio365

imported post

I'm thinking SAM or RIA when I go to buy, whatever Mary's has in stock when I go in to put one on layaway. I have heard good things about both, although RIA has a lifetime warranty. I intend on getting some night sights and rubberized wraparound grips, and I will finally be happy. :D