• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carson city background investigation release

Loneviking

imported post

This is from the release form that you have to sign to obtain a CCW in Carson City, and I find these two paragraphs very disturbing:

'I authorize you to furnish the Carson City Sheriff's Office with any and all information that you have concerning me including my employment records, my reputation, my physical and mental conditions, and my military records. Information of a confidential or privileged nature may be included. Your reply will be used to assist the Sheriff's office in determining my qualifications and suitablity for a Concealed Firearms Permit'.

'In addition to the above requested information, you may release arrests, detention reports, field citations, field interview cards, officer's records, jail/custody booking records, traffic citations and traffic accident information, district attorney records, court records and reports, probation and parole reports and records, laboratory reports and results, and other criminal justice records, reports or information source.

I was considering getting my CCW, but I would have to apply to this department and I'm not sure that I want too after reading this. The sections that I've bolded, appear to have no authorization under the NRS codes as a basis for denying a permit. I sent this e-mail to Sheriff Kenny Furlong:

Dear Sheriff:
I am considering applying to your officefor a CCW permit but I am very concerned about some of the items listed in the CCW 'Waiver and Authorization to Release Information'form that don't appear to be relevant or legal to inquire into. For example:

Employment records? My employer is not friendly to the rights of gun-owners and I don't want them knowing that I have applied for a CCW. There is nothing in the NRS codes for disqualifying conditions that would require you to obtain information from my employer.

Physical conditions? Again, there is nothing in the NRS codes for disqualifying conditions that would require you to obtain that information. Mental conditions, yes. But physical conditions, no.

My reputation? Show me where the NRS codes allow for any influence from this very subjective input as to my ability to obtain a permit? Are you running my credit history too?

These items I've listed are not required or listed as by other counties as items to be checked in a background investigation. I really want to know why your department has chosen to inquire into these areas. It almost seems as if you want to do everything possible to keep citizens from obtaining CCW's, which leaves us with no other option but to open carry.
signed--my name.

I'll let you know what reply I get! :uhoh:

Loneviking

imported post

Here's the very speedy reply by Sheriff Furlong:

Mr. Scott,

Thanks for your email and questions. Statewide, the Sheriff's and Chief's Association is moving rapidly to a single form for applying for a CCW. In the mean time, all of our requirements are geared toward uniformity within the application process. I have cc'd a copy of this email to Ms. McKinley for any followup information, but let me take a shot a couple of your questions....

Employer Information: Your employers position (opinion) is not relevant to the application process. Please don't be too concerned about the waiver form. This merely allows us access to information being provided to us...... HOWEVER, I have reviewed the Waiver form and will ask our staff to review the form. It seems to me that you may have valid points of interest. To be honest with you, the one that I stumbled on was "physical conditions."

I'd like to thank you for bringing this to my attention so that we may review those items of concern. It's your input that keeps the system accurate and honest. Please do not allow the form to prevent you from applying for your CCW, as I can assure you that only legallydisqualifying information can be used as grounds for denial. Asto the Waiver, you may consider it under review for accuracy as of this date.

I hope this answers your questions and concerns.

thanks.... ken

-----------------------------------------------
All in all a surprisingly nice letter and a fast response. I'm taking the CCW class on June 14th and applying that next week, so I'll see what they've done with the form by then.

h2ojunkie

imported post

I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Sheriff Furlong was the only hold out in the State that would not remove the serial number as a requirement on a CCW. He never did remove it, but did end up agreeing to make it optional after a lot of NRA pressure.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=3316

It's refreshing to see his positive and quick response to your concerns.

It just goes to show how when we all work together, attitudes can actually be changed at a government level.

varminter22

imported post

Refreshing, indeed, that Sheriff Furlong replied as he did.

However ...

In reference to your statement, "... serial number as a requirement on a CCW. He never did remove it, but did end up agreeing to make it optional after a lot of NRA pressure," I am somewhat shocked.

Here is what started it:

Stillwater Firearms Association[/b]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"] ]
P. O. Box 665 [/font][/b]

[size=[/b]Fallon NV][/b]

[size=]89407[/b]

December 7, 2007

Sheriff Ken Furlong

901 E Musser St

Carson City NV

Dear Sheriff Furlong,

In recent news, it was reported that you implemented a requirement for CCW permit applicants to list handgun serial numbers on your CCW application form. Subsequently, it was reported that you revisited the issue and decided against implementing such a requirement.

It has come to my attention that you have not, in reality, removed your unlawful requirement for a citizen to list handgun serial numbers on your CCW application form. I’m told that your representative, Jennifer Draper, recently stated you have not removed the serial number requirement from your current application form, but you are making it optional. However, she stated your application will NOT annotate serial numbers are optional.

To provide a space on your CCW application form, without distinctly and boldly labeling it “optional,” is clearly an instance of legislating from your position of authority and outside the bounds of Nevada law. Many fine law abiding and freedom loving citizens will be misled into believing they must provide serial numbers.

That, sir, is simply not acceptable.

There is no lawful firearm registration requirement in Nevada, with the exception of Clark County. In enacting “shall issue CCW law,” NRS Chapter 202 in 1995, our legislature specifically avoided a serial number requirement.

NRS Chapter 202 is clear. You can require only make/model/caliber of semi auto handguns.

On behalf of the 422-member Stillwater Firearms Association and untold numbers of Nevada citizens, I most strongly urge you to strike any reference to firearm serial numbers from your CCW application form.

I can be reached via email at varminter22@charter.net

Sincerely,

Copies to:

Governor Jim Gibbons

State Capitol
101 N Carson St
Carson City NV 89701

Attorney General Catherine Masto

100 N Carson St
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717

Senator Mark Amodei

805 West Sunset Way
Carson CityNV 89703-3751

Senator Mike McGinness

770 Wildes Rd
FallonNV 89406-7843

Senator Dean Rhoads

Box 8
TuscaroraNV 89834-0008

Senator John Lee

3216 Villa Pisani Ct
North Las VegasNV 89031-7267

Senator Bob Beers

9428 Grenville Ave
Las VegasNV 89134-6206

Senator Warren Hardy

5070 Arville St #4
Las VegasNV 89118-4904

Assemblyman Pete Goicoechea

P O Box 97
EurekaNV 89316-0097

Assemblyman Tom Grady

43 Fairway Drive
YeringtonNV 89447-2170

Assemblyman Ed Goedhart

P O Box 70
Amargosa ValleyNV 89020

Assemblywoman Francis Allen

P O Box 34718
Las VegasNV 89133-4718

Assemblyman Jim Settelmeyer

770 Hwy 395 N
GardnervilleNV 89410

Assemblywoman Valerie Weber

10001 Harpoon Cl
Las VegasNV 89117-0931

Assemblyman Ty Cobb

P O Box 34375
RenoNV 89533

Churchill County District Attorney Art Mallory

365 S Maine St

Fallon NV 89406

Mr Frank Adams

Executive Director, Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association

P O Box 3247

Mesquite NV 89024

Ms Carrie Herbertson

NRA ILA State & Local Affairs Division

555 Capitol Mall, Suite 625

Sacramento CA 95814

Mr Glen Caroline

NRA ILA Director, Grass Roots Division

11250 Waples Mill Rd

Fairfax VA 22030

Carson City District Attorney Neil A. Rombardo

885 E Musser St, Suite 2030

Carson City NV 89701

Washoe County District Attorney Dick Gammick

75 Court St

Reno NV 89520
[/b]
Sheriff Furlong called me on December 13, 2007 and said he HAS removed
the serial number block from his CCW app form.

h2ojunkie

imported post

Sheriff Furlong called me on December 13, 2007 and said he HAS removed
the serial number block from his CCW app form.
I was not aware that he did finally agree to completely remove it. Thanks for that info.