• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun - Looked at rifles today

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well I went to the gun store just to look around and then when I got there I started thinking. If I get a rifle, I can go to the range without someone over 21. That is a definite plus for me while in school so I can go to the range on week nights or weekends by myself. Anyways I started looking at AR15's and now I have a very strong urge to buy one:lol: I really liked the DPMS Panther Lite 16 that I was looking at. What do you guys think? I know lots of people have AR15's these days. I am on a budget so by no means can I buy a Colt. I will be in Norfolk tomorrow so maybe I will get my mom to stop into a gun store down there. She is kind of :what:when it comes to guns though.:lol: Also where are you guys getting cheap .223 in bulk. Thanks!!!

Carolina40

imported post

what is (are) your reasons for getting a rifle?

if you are looking for long range accuracy (in an "assault" rifle) -- get an AR.

(now here comes the proverbial can of worms with the AR lovers on this board):

if however, you are looking for a lesser expensive, utterly reliable, rockSOLID piece of equipment - get an AK. (I had an Armalite AR model way back and it was nothing but trouble --- yes, I cleaned it regularly -- a PAIN to clean, VERY fickle when it came to high cap mags...).

AR fans --- what is the deal with the charging handle material - every AR I've picked up they seem to be rather flimsy (vs. the solid feel of the AK handle).

yes, I love my AK (Arsenal SAM-7) and it loves me :lol:

Bravo_Sierra

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a DPMS AR15 and like it very much. It's called the sweet sixteen, has a 16" stainless steel bull barrel and cost me $850 with a free floating barrel and flat top receiver.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing today and started browsing the web for AKs. Personally I want to go with an AK because ammo is quite a bit cheaper, as is the gun, and I can hunt with it. I was looking into the WASR-10, anyone else have any good recommendations for an AK in the $250-$500 range?

Thundar

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well I went to the gun store just to look around and then when I got there I started thinking. If I get a rifle, I can go to the range without someone over 21. That is a definite plus for me while in school so I can go to the range on week nights or weekends by myself. Anyways I started looking at AR15's and now I have a very strong urge to buy one:lol: I really liked the DPMS Panther Lite 16 that I was looking at. What do you guys think? I know lots of people have AR15's these days. I am on a budget so by no means can I buy a Colt. I will be in Norfolk tomorrow so maybe I will get my mom to stop into a gun store down there. She is kind of :what:when it comes to guns though.:lol: Also where are you guys getting cheap .223 in bulk. Thanks!!!

Why would you need somebody over 21 to go with you to the range? In VA. you must be 21 to purchase the handgun, but only 18 to open carry thehandgun your momwould giveyou. You must be 18 to purchase the rifle, but you may open carrya rifle even before you turn 18. I assume you are 18-20, yes?

Cheap .223 is only available to those who reload.Cheap .223 from the factory is only a distant memory.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo too. I figured he's probably buying ammo at the range. Some ranges even require you use their ammo.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

asforme wrote:
Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing today and started browsing the web for AKs. Personally I want to go with an AK because ammo is quite a bit cheaper, as is the gun, and I can hunt with it. I was looking into the WASR-10, anyone else have any good recommendations for an AK in the $250-$500 range?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99478053

expvideo

imported post

asforme wrote:
You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo too. I figured he's probably buying ammo at the range. Some ranges even require you use their ammo.

Usually a range only requires that you use their ammo if you are renting their guns.

As for the WASR 10, it's a great gun, but you do need to know what to look for before buying one. Never buy a WASR sight unseen. You need to check for front sight cant, gas block cant, propper fit of the trigger group, mag wobble, etc. Make sure to check the forums at AK47.net for a full list of things to check for.

That being said, assuming you do the right thing and get one of the good WASRs, they are awesome guns and will stand up to a rediculous amount of abuse.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

expvideo wrote:
As for the WASR 10, it's a great gun, but you do need to know what to look for before buying one. Never buy a WASR sight unseen. You need to check for front sight cant, gas block cant, propper fit of the trigger group, mag wobble, etc.
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I was actually looking at that auction earlier. The problem is my LGS doesn't stock AK's but they said they would do a transfer if I bought online. But if seeing it in person and inspecting it is so critical (even on a new AK?) I guess I'll have to wait for a gun show to come to town.

expvideo

imported post

asforme wrote:
expvideo wrote:
As for the WASR 10, it's a great gun, but you do need to know what to look for before buying one. Never buy a WASR sight unseen. You need to check for front sight cant, gas block cant, propper fit of the trigger group, mag wobble, etc.
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I was actually looking at that auction earlier. The problem is my LGS doesn't stock AK's but they said they would do a transfer if I bought online. But if seeing it in person and inspecting it is so critical (even on a new AK?) I guess I'll have to wait for a gun show to come to town.

I would recommend that. Most AKs are fine, but the WASRs do need to be hand inspected before buying them. Check AK47.net's forums for some ideas of some good deals on great guns. Vector and Lancaster make very good quality, low-priced AK47s.

Here's a good deal on an AK for $450, that has a US made receiver and barrel. This would be a much better choice than a WASR if you have to buy sight unseen.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/romanian-ak-47-gp75-762x39-american-made-receiver-barrel/products_id/2128

imperialism2024

imported post

asforme wrote:
Take a look at the Saiga's in 7.62x39. One variant with a black synthetic stock and handguard runs about $300, and IMHO is very comfortable to shoot, though it doesn't look very AK-ish. But it's made in Russia, with love. <3

Here's one:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100333967

And if you want to get any matching AK-style rifles in .223, .308, and many varieties of shotgun and small rifle calibers, check out:
http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml