• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Misc - Walmart, Crazy Folk

Weak 9mm

imported post

So I was in walmart snagging a box of 100 rounds of WWB 9mm FMJs and a box of 25 Remington N27 Nitro's. I know you wanted to know that!

Note: I was not carrying, as I was in the city of Cary, NC. The police chief of Cary has been quoted as saying that anyone found OCing in the city will be charged with going armed to the terror of the people. While I don't agree with this and I feel that it is not legal or constitutional, I don't have the time or money to handle getting in trouble for this.

Anyway, before I made this purchase I was just wandering around looking at stuff. I happened to be in the fishing tackle and flashlight aisle and I started to hear hysterical screaming. The screaming got louder and seemed to be approaching, then it actually became intelligible.

Some lady was going absolutely nuts, screaming "SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY PURSE!!!" "MY PURSE IS STOLEN!!!" "BLAHBLIBBITYBLEEEEE!!!!" Eventually this lady gets to where I can see her down at the other end of the aisle, she was an older lady, but not that old. Perhaps late 50's. Once she got to my aisle she stopped and looked at me.

She stared at me for some time, as if to infer that I had her purse somehow. I looked all around myself, up and down, around, very exaggerated, and then stared back at her from way down the aisle. She continued to yell the same statement and look all around hysterically until an employee came up. The employee was a lady who appeared to be in her late 30's or early 40's and she kept telling the crazy to calm down. The employee asked her a number of questions, such as:

"Do you have your keys?" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!" "YES!!!"

"Did you just leave your purse in your car then?" "NO!!!"

"Where were you when it went missing?" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!!" "IT'S GONE!!!" "MY PURSE HAS BEEN STOLEN!!!"

"Why don't we re-trace your steps?" "I CAN'T, I DON'T KNOW WHERE I WAS!!"

"STOP EVERYONE!!! STOP THEM AT THE DOORS!! STOP THEM ALL-HALL!!! THEY'RE GOING TO GET AWAY!!!"

The crazy screaming whine was unbearable honestly, similar to nails on a chalkboard. It certainly wasn't helping the situation, whoever took it not only knew that they needed to leave, but were broadcast exactly where the "danger" was. They could have heard her from across the store and then could have easily avoided her, if anyone even stole it. Why not just go towards the front yourself while notifying the store employees in a normal manner?

All I could think of was that situational awareness probably could have prevented the entire situation. She had no clue of when it actually went away, where she had been, etc. It's like she paid ZERO attention to anything she or anyone else did. She also got so hysterical that she seemed to completely loose control of her mind and had no reasoning ability or memory. It was sort of insane to watch, and I have no clue what happened in the end. I heard the screaming gradually go away from me and then it eventually was gone.

It seems to me that people doing this are either legitimately crazy, or are so mentally weak that they just let themselves get into this state of immobilized thoughtless hysteria. I do think it's terrible to be stealing things, but it's possible nobody even took it considering she had no clue as to where or when it went missing. I get the feeling that if it was stolen she likely left it in a cart when she walked off to do something, and then eventually she noticed that it was gone. This was followed by promptly going into full blown hysteria. If it was actually stolen from right in front of her without her noticing, then that's kind of pathetic.

Later I was in the sporting goods area and an employee came by to get my ammo. He also helped another person, because he had to take all of our ammo to the garden section to ring it up. He apparently couldn't use the register in sporting goods. While he was getting ammo for the other guy another older lady walked up and asked him to do something for her. He told her he was helping us and could help her in just a minute. She went crazy too and started yelling at him that she had been to 5 different places for "blah blah blah" and it's all his fault, etc. I just laughed at that point. Walmart can really be full of crazy people, or as the other guy getting ammo said, "Walmart must be giving out the crazy pills again."

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I was in Walmart the other day getting 500 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr and the lady in front of my dad and I was such a dumb redneck. I live in Northern VA mind you. Anyways she has crappy clothes on, teeth screwed up and talking broken english. This is the DAMN AMMO REGISTER and she is ringing up her whole stores worth of crap that isn't even ammo. That got me a little mad but then I started almost laughing because she started to argue with the person about 96 cents that he had charged her because she picked two things up from the same rack. She insisted that because they were on the same hook that they should be the same cheap price. She even cussed at her friend because she told her that she was wrong and the lady kept denying that she was wrong. Anyways the associate told her to take it up with customer service and she cussed and finally left. Walmart sure is crazy sometimes, but this lady really pissed me off because she was holding up the ammo line:cuss:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I have had occassion to visit the three wal marts in the area I live in. It's like a dang circus freak show.

Very interesting time watching people there.

bayboy42

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I was in Walmart the other day getting 500 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr and the lady in front of my dad and I was such a dumb redneck. I live in Northern VA mind you. Anyways she has crappy clothes on, teeth screwed up and talking broken english. This is the DAMN AMMO REGISTER and she is ringing up her whole stores worth of crap that isn't even ammo. That got me a little mad but then I started almost laughing because she started to argue with the person about 96 cents that he had charged her because she picked two things up from the same rack. She insisted that because they were on the same hook that they should be the same cheap price. She even cussed at her friend because she told her that she was wrong and the lady kept denying that she was wrong. Anyways the associate told her to take it up with customer service and she cussed and finally left. Walmart sure is crazy sometimes, but this lady really pissed me off because she was holding up the ammo line:cuss:
Dag....yall got an entire register up there dedicated just for ammo purchases....impressive!!:lol:

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, you know how openly carried guns make people hysterical and frightened....

Oh, wait. :uhoh:

Edited because I wrote the wrong word. Remind me not to post until I'm awake for at least 15 minutes.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Can you imagine? :uhoh:

:what:"HE HAS A GUN!!!" "THE MAN HERE HAS A GUN!!!" "A GUN IS WITH THIS MAN!!!" "I SEE A GUN!!!" "HEYULP!!!" "GUN IS MAN!!!" "MAN IS GUN!!!" "STOP HIM!!!" "HE'S GETTING AWAY!!!" "BLIBBITY BLABBITY!!!"

"Well is he doing anything illegal?" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!" "HE HAS A GUN!!!" "GUN HE HAS!!!"

"Has he threatened you?" "I DON'T REMEMBER!!!" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!" "PLEEEZ!!!" "HEYULP!!!"

ChinChin

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Can you imagine? :uhoh:

:what:"HE HAS A GUN!!!" "THE MAN HERE HAS A GUN!!!" "A GUN IS WITH THIS MAN!!!" "I SEE A GUN!!!" "HEYULP!!!" "GUN IS MAN!!!" "MAN IS GUN!!!" "STOP HIM!!!" "HE'S GETTING AWAY!!!" "BLIBBITY BLABBITY!!!"

"Well is he doing anything illegal?" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!" "HE HAS A GUN!!!" "GUN HE HAS!!!"

"Has he threatened you?" "I DON'T REMEMBER!!!" "I DON'T KNOW-HO!!!" "PLEEEZ!!!" "HEYULP!!!"

You actualy touched upon a big fear of mine.

I'll get into a verbal confontation with somebody, most likley over my right to OC by law, and either out of spite or mental instability they'll claim that I threatened them with my firearm, or pointed it at them.

Of course the police aren't going to beleive the person with a firearm. Firearms are evil and only police should have them. . .hence I'm insta-perp.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yep. In that situation the only hope would be that you were in front of a camera and they were recording during the encounter. Of course you'd also have to hope that the police actually looked at the video tape. If they don't like OC and think it's their special priviledge and not yours then you might really have a problem. I am failry certain that this lady would have said that she didn't know whether or not you'd threatened her though, because she completely lost brain function over the purse thing. It was truly insane, and I can imagine it really would have gone down like I wrote it.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Dag....yall got an entire register up there dedicated just for ammo purchases....impressive!!:lol:
Well it was the sporting goods counter where all of the ammo was in locked cases behind it.

compmanio365

imported post

I've never come across anything like that at the Walmart in Puyallup here in WA......all the crazies don't make it far enough east from Western State...... :lol:

I do see a lot of redneck crackheads though........

DocV

imported post

Not discounting that Wal-Mart can be a freak show...

The behavior you described is not all that uncommon in patients suffering from the early stages of Alzheimers and other forms of dementia. Some people develop coping mechanisms for awhile until the disease progresses. Others seem to cycle between periods of normalcy and hysteria. As the disease progresses the time between those periods decreases.

Wal-Mart still seems to be a magnet for aberrant behavior.

DocV

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
You actualy touched upon a big fear of mine.

I'll get into a verbal confontation with somebody, most likley over my right to OC by law, and either out of spite or mental instability they'll claim that I threatened them with my firearm, or pointed it at them.

Of course the police aren't going to beleive the person with a firearm. Firearms are evil and only police should have them. . .hence I'm insta-perp.

This is why you want to call the police yourself at the first sign of any real trouble.

I wonder, too, if you got a screamer, whether you would be able to get her charged for causing alarm. "He's got a gun!! Omigoddddd! A gun!!"

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DocV wrote:
Not discounting that Wal-Mart can be a freak show...

The behavior you described is not all that uncommon in patients suffering from the early stages of Alzheimers and other forms of dementia. Some people develop coping mechanisms for awhile until the disease progresses. Others seem to cycle between periods of normalcy and hysteria. As the disease progresses the time between those periods decreases.

Wal-Mart still seems to be a magnet for aberrant behavior.

DocV
Good observation DocV. Sometimes people are just trying to be cheap and get something for nothing, a common affliction in Walmart. But sometimes there are legitimate medical reasons for strange behavior.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Indeed, that's why I said either she was legitimately crazy or just weak minded. I've been exposed to quite a bit of dementia actually, so I do know what it looks like.

It's certainly possible she's experiencing the onset of Alzheimer's or something else, but regardless it was rather odd. I do think the screaming was unusual, most people would be embarrased to behave like that IMO. That, in and of itself, is possible evidence for some kind of dementia starting to creep into her mind. I still think it was probably just her being hysterical and voluntarily loosing control of her own mind, as she just wasn't that old, although dementia can certainly start even earlier than her age.

With Alzheimer's it seems like you're more likely to be forgetting where you are and stuff. I encountered that the other day, an old man was asking me how to get "downtown." He told me he had lived in Raleigh his entire life, but for some reason he had no idea where he was. Then all of a sudden he started to fall back and I had to catch him. He would have fallen backwards off a slightly elevated sidewalk. I'm sure he would have been hurt badly too, because he was at least 80 years old, maybe even 90.

In her case, it seemed like she expected someone else to come "fix it for her." It's like she felt that she didn't need to keep it together, because it's someone elses job to find her purse. It was almost as if she truly thought of the employees of Walmart as detectives/police. She expected them to come over and start arresting and searching people, or to be able to just find her purse through their massive amounts of Walmart detective training. She said she didn't know where she had been in the store or when her purse went missing. I still feel that this was due to being hysterical and simply letting herself get worked into a frenzy in which she could not think clearly though, not that she actually did not know where she was or something like that.

I think it comes from the attitude in our society that you're helpless if you're not "a professional" and that other people are supposed to do everything and know everything for you. Somebody else fixes her car I'm sure, if she has a computer it's the same deal, things in her house, etc. She would probably never make an effort to understand any of those things, because she probably believes that she's incapable of understanding them. If her purse is stolen, she's obviously incapable of looking for it herself, going to the front of the Walmart herself, or thinking, because that all requires her to do the work. She's not "a professional," so she automatically assumes that she doesn't have the slightest clue about what to do. At that point she becomes hysterical because she's "helpless," and can't do anything herself. When she's in trouble she expects someone else to come save her, like the police or Walmart employees, which are the same thing really, right? :banghead:

That's how she appeared to be behaving from my perspective. Even when she looked at me as if I were going to magically produce her purse out of thin air, it screamed "somebody fix this for me."

thx997303

imported post

I had an asst manager of a wal mart ask me to prove that my revolver was unloaded right in the middle of a big crowd. How stupid can you be.