Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart

Post imported post

While I was in wally world tonight, OC ing with my S&W Model 10 in a Bianchi service holster, when the assistant manager approached me and asked, Excuse me are you a police officer? I replied no and he asked me why I was carrying a gun, I told him self defense, then he said that he didn't think it was legal and that wal-mart had a policy against it, thank the lord I have been on this site a few times.

I informed him that a member here had spoken with the regional manager of wal-marts in this area and that he had ssaid that wal mart policy was to keep with the laws in the state/city that the wal mart was in. Then i proceeded to cite the state codes that applied and then he asks, well then is it unloaded, which since it was, I replied yes, then he asked if I would show him that it was unloaded, which I said no, I will not remove it from the holster, I've had an annoying experience, and that I didn't think that that action would go over well with the customers that were around.
    He told me that unless i showed him that it was unloaded that he would have to ask me to leave the store.

Since we were there to purchase neccessities and I didn't want to have to go somewhere else, I said as it is in a private place away from view of the public that i would show him, we went to his office and I showed him, I then showed him this website, he was very interested.

I didn't like that he didn't believe that it was unloaded, but am glad that he wont be questoning the legality of it anymore.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    While I was in wally world tonight, OC ing with my S&W Model 10 in a Bianchi service holster, when the assistant manager approached me and asked, Excuse me are you a police officer? I replied no and he asked me why I was carrying a gun, I told him self defense, then he said that he didn't think it was legal and that wal-mart had a policy against it, thank the lord I have been on this site a few times.

I informed him that a member here had spoken with the regional manager of wal-marts in this area and that he had ssaid that wal mart policy was to keep with the laws in the state/city that the wal mart was in. Then i proceeded to cite the state codes that applied and then he asks, well then is it unloaded, which since it was, I replied yes, then he asked if I would show him that it was unloaded, which I said no, I will not remove it from the holster, I've had an annoying experience, and that I didn't think that that action would go over well with the customers that were around.
    He told me that unless i showed him that it was unloaded that he would have to ask me to leave the store.

Since we were there to purchase neccessities and I didn't want to have to go somewhere else, I said as it is in a private place away from view of the public that i would show him, we went to his office and I showed him, I then showed him this website, he was very interested.

I didn't like that he didn't believe that it was unloaded, but am glad that he wont be questoning the legality of it anymore.
    What a crazy person... I have been in the Walmart here in Vegas which is right next to the airport (I mean RIGHT next toit. across2 lanes of traffic is the taxi path)several times and no one ever bothers me.

Post imported post

What walmart were you in?

Post imported post

Bizzarre-O. Yes, please tell us which Wal-Mart, perhaps we can go and "normalize" it

Post imported post

The guy is a JERK! Again, which Wally World?

Post imported post

American Fork Wal-mart. Yeah annoyed the heck out of me.

Post imported post

Wow that is surprising. I have oced just about every time I go to AF walmart and not once have I been approached by any employee let alone the store mgr. I have had a fair share of dirty looks and one or two questions. Oh wait, I did have one person in the sporting goods ask me if I was carrying a ruger and I told him no it was a Taurus. He said we need to see that more often and thanked me for carrying. And this incident was before I had my permit so I was unloaded. It could be that because I carry a G22 they may just assume that I am a leo because I carry a Glock but who knows. I will be going there this weekend and we will see what happens. Could be that I tend to carry my self "cop like" as I am going into law enforcement so maybe thats it too. I'll keep you posted.

On another note I have yet to see one other person Ocing. I have seen a few concealing and one guy at chillies that had an empty holster but the woman with him had a fanny pack on that I am sure was packing. And I was Ocing that day.

Post imported post

Well, if you were in wal-mart at roughly 2 in the morning or any of those night time hours you would probably see me OCing. I'm the one with glasses wearing suede combat boots and holey wranglers. I will be wearing a black bianchi service holster with a smith and wesson model 10. but yeah I work nights so my schedule is all whacked.

I'm also looking into going into LE, the only problem is I don't know how to go aobut it. Plus I'll have to wait until next year when I come back from boot camp and AIT.

If you know where to go to "police academy" I would love to know of it.

Post imported post

The Utah academy has a site at UVSC (UVU). Here is a link to the states site. I am in my last semester at UVU and will graduate with my BS in Criminal Justice. When I started my GI Bill was not authorized to pay for the academy until last year witch upset me a little because It is expensive to self sponsor through the program and near impossible to find a department willing to sponsor you unless you want to work at the prison for a few years first. Let me know if you have more questions send me a PM.

Post imported post

Good to know the Military will cover that now. Thanks I'll shoot you a pm.

Post imported post

[quote]mazellan819, so that's how and why alot of Officers are full of BS...they study Criminal Justice:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

TJ

Post imported post

BS degree.

Post imported post

[quote]

Post imported post

i guess you could say I am working on my second BS degree. My first one was god given. lol

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    [quote]
    mazellan819, so that's how and why alot of Officers are full of BS...they study Criminal Justice:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

TJ
    Could be lol.

Post imported post

Geez, I know a lot of people who have a BS degree. Also god given

Post imported post

Hey, I'm studying Criminal Justice at UVU as well! Though I've only completed my first year. Whoever wanted to get into the UVU-LEA here is the Legal Department website: http://www.uvsc.edu/business/legl/

My wife works at the Family First Federal Credit Union right by the AF Wal-Mart. I told her we are open-carrying there and was like, "You're just trying to make trouble." I said, "No, we want to make it normal." So yeah, I'll report how that goes next time around.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

What were you doing carrying an unloaded gun?!

Post imported post

GJD wrote:
    What were you doing carrying an unloaded gun?!
    I'm guessing he didn't have his CFP yet.

Post imported post

But he was openly carrying it. It seems totally pointless.

Post imported post

No CCW, only 19, but double action revolvers make it simple, If I have to shoot, I'm not just shooting once.

And as far as pointless, I'd rather have defense in a few seconds, then a few minutes. I can pull that trigger the first time pretty fast.

Also U.C.A 76-10-505 states

(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
    (a) in or on a vehicle;
    (b) on any public street; or
    (c) in a posted prohibited area.

So it would be quite a hassle to unload any time I was going to somewhere like that, and I find myself to be in those areas roughly 95% of the time. And then

U.C.A 76-10-502 states

(1) For the purpse of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.

(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position wherby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.

Therefore with my S&W Model 10 that I refered to in the OP, there cannot be a round underneath the hammer, or in the next position. So mostly I am making the decision that I would rather have the weapon with me, and still be within the law.

Post imported post

He is not old enough yet to obtain a Utah permit. Because he does not hold a permit, he must carry openly and unloaded (two mechanical actions to fire). In a semi-auto this means full mag and no round in the tube. In a revolver (which he has) this means no round under the hammer and no round in the next cylinder chamber. He was carrying correctly as far as I know.

Post imported post

Ha, you posted while I was editing my response. Yes I was carrying unloaded according to the law. Thanks Dave

Post imported post

Is there anywhere in the code that makes an open-carry age or anything like that? The way I read it that even a 16 year old can OC with parental permission. I asked UHP, Range Masters of Utah, AND Utah Sheriff's Deparment and they all gave me different answers (18, 21 only, "um, I don't know"). So where can I get that law to make it right? I'm mainly asking for my buddy who is 18 and wants to OC.

Post imported post

Juveniles (<18 years old) cannot possess a handgun or handgun ammunition unless they are using it for the following purposes listed in U.S.C. 922(x)(3): farming, ranching, target practice, hunting (which you can do at age 12+ for deer) and/or instruction in the use of a handgun. The handgun must be locked in a case with the firearm unloaded when in transport and the juvenile must have written consent from a parent or legal guardian on their person while possessing the handgun. The law is so strict that even if you are juvenile participating with a parent or guardian, you must still have the consent form on your person if you intend to use the handgun, otherwise both parties are violating federal law and may be punished by up to one year in prison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast