• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart

thx997303

imported post

While I was in wally world tonight, OC ing with my S&W Model 10 in a Bianchi service holster, when the assistant manager approached me and asked, Excuse me are you a police officer? I replied no and he asked me why I was carrying a gun, I told him self defense, then he said that he didn't think it was legal and that wal-mart had a policy against it, thank the lord I have been on this site a few times.

I informed him that a member here had spoken with the regional manager of wal-marts in this area and that he had ssaid that wal mart policy was to keep with the laws in the state/city that the wal mart was in. Then i proceeded to cite the state codes that applied and then he asks, well then is it unloaded, which since it was, I replied yes, then he asked if I would show him that it was unloaded, which I said no, I will not remove it from the holster, I've had an annoying experience, and that I didn't think that that action would go over well with the customers that were around.
He told me that unless i showed him that it was unloaded that he would have to ask me to leave the store.

Since we were there to purchase neccessities and I didn't want to have to go somewhere else, I said as it is in a private place away from view of the public that i would show him, we went to his office and I showed him, I then showed him this website, he was very interested.

I didn't like that he didn't believe that it was unloaded, but am glad that he wont be questoning the legality of it anymore.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
While I was in wally world tonight, OC ing with my S&W Model 10 in a Bianchi service holster, when the assistant manager approached me and asked, Excuse me are you a police officer? I replied no and he asked me why I was carrying a gun, I told him self defense, then he said that he didn't think it was legal and that wal-mart had a policy against it, thank the lord I have been on this site a few times.

I informed him that a member here had spoken with the regional manager of wal-marts in this area and that he had ssaid that wal mart policy was to keep with the laws in the state/city that the wal mart was in. Then i proceeded to cite the state codes that applied and then he asks, well then is it unloaded, which since it was, I replied yes, then he asked if I would show him that it was unloaded, which I said no, I will not remove it from the holster, I've had an annoying experience, and that I didn't think that that action would go over well with the customers that were around.
He told me that unless i showed him that it was unloaded that he would have to ask me to leave the store.

Since we were there to purchase neccessities and I didn't want to have to go somewhere else, I said as it is in a private place away from view of the public that i would show him, we went to his office and I showed him, I then showed him this website, he was very interested.

I didn't like that he didn't believe that it was unloaded, but am glad that he wont be questoning the legality of it anymore.
What a crazy person... I have been in the Walmart here in Vegas which is right next to the airport (I mean RIGHT next toit. across2 lanes of traffic is the taxi path)several times and no one ever bothers me.

mazellan819

imported post

Wow that is surprising. I have oced just about every time I go to AF walmart and not once have I been approached by any employee let alone the store mgr. I have had a fair share of dirty looks and one or two questions. Oh wait, I did have one person in the sporting goods ask me if I was carrying a ruger and I told him no it was a Taurus. He said we need to see that more often and thanked me for carrying. And this incident was before I had my permit so I was unloaded. It could be that because I carry a G22 they may just assume that I am a leo because I carry a Glock but who knows. I will be going there this weekend and we will see what happens. Could be that I tend to carry my self "cop like" as I am going into law enforcement so maybe thats it too. I'll keep you posted.

On another note I have yet to see one other person Ocing. I have seen a few concealing and one guy at chillies that had an empty holster but the woman with him had a fanny pack on that I am sure was packing. And I was Ocing that day.

thx997303

imported post

Well, if you were in wal-mart at roughly 2 in the morning or any of those night time hours you would probably see me OCing. I'm the one with glasses wearing suede combat boots and holey wranglers. I will be wearing a black bianchi service holster with a smith and wesson model 10. but yeah I work nights so my schedule is all whacked.

I'm also looking into going into LE, the only problem is I don't know how to go aobut it. Plus I'll have to wait until next year when I come back from boot camp and AIT.

If you know where to go to "police academy" I would love to know of it.

mazellan819

imported post

The Utah academy has a site at UVSC (UVU). Here is a link to the states site. I am in my last semester at UVU and will graduate with my BS in Criminal Justice. When I started my GI Bill was not authorized to pay for the academy until last year witch upset me a little because It is expensive to self sponsor through the program and near impossible to find a department willing to sponsor you unless you want to work at the prison for a few years first. Let me know if you have more questions send me a PM.

Outsider

imported post

Hey, I'm studying Criminal Justice at UVU as well! Though I've only completed my first year. Whoever wanted to get into the UVU-LEA here is the Legal Department website: http://www.uvsc.edu/business/legl/

My wife works at the Family First Federal Credit Union right by the AF Wal-Mart. I told her we are open-carrying there and was like, "You're just trying to make trouble." I said, "No, we want to make it normal." So yeah, I'll report how that goes next time around.