• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart

thx997303

imported post

No CCW, only 19, but double action revolvers make it simple, If I have to shoot, I'm not just shooting once.

And as far as pointless, I'd rather have defense in a few seconds, then a few minutes. I can pull that trigger the first time pretty fast.

Also U.C.A 76-10-505 states

(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.

So it would be quite a hassle to unload any time I was going to somewhere like that, and I find myself to be in those areas roughly 95% of the time. And then

U.C.A 76-10-502 states

(1) For the purpse of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.

(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position wherby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.

Therefore with my S&W Model 10 that I refered to in the OP, there cannot be a round underneath the hammer, or in the next position. So mostly I am making the decision that I would rather have the weapon with me, and still be within the law.

GeneticsDave

imported post

He is not old enough yet to obtain a Utah permit. Because he does not hold a permit, he must carry openly and unloaded (two mechanical actions to fire). In a semi-auto this means full mag and no round in the tube. In a revolver (which he has) this means no round under the hammer and no round in the next cylinder chamber. He was carrying correctly as far as I know.

thx997303

imported post

Ha, you posted while I was editing my response. Yes I was carrying unloaded according to the law. Thanks Dave

Outsider

imported post

Is there anywhere in the code that makes an open-carry age or anything like that? The way I read it that even a 16 year old can OC with parental permission. I asked UHP, Range Masters of Utah, AND Utah Sheriff's Deparment and they all gave me different answers (18, 21 only, "um, I don't know"). So where can I get that law to make it right? I'm mainly asking for my buddy who is 18 and wants to OC.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Juveniles (<18 years old) cannot possess a handgun or handgun ammunition unless they are using it for the following purposes listed in U.S.C. 922(x)(3): farming, ranching, target practice, hunting (which you can do at age 12+ for deer) and/or instruction in the use of a handgun. The handgun must be locked in a case with the firearm unloaded when in transport and the juvenile must have written consent from a parent or legal guardian on their person while possessing the handgun. The law is so strict that even if you are juvenile participating with a parent or guardian, you must still have the consent form on your person if you intend to use the handgun, otherwise both parties are violating federal law and may be punished by up to one year in prison.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

An 18 year old may openly carry any firearm in Utah. A 16 year old with parental permission may openly carry a rifle or shotgun, just not a handgun.

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony. [/font]

thx997303

imported post

Hey, do you really have to be 21 to purchase ammo for your handgun? That is a major inconvenience for me.

thx997303

imported post

As long as he does not have a criminal record. And he does have to carry unloaded, which will be a full mag but not one in the pipe. And he needs to not carry in school zones. And while carrying in the car, it needs to be out of the holster and somewhere in plain sight, so that it can't be considered concealed.

Outsider

imported post

Just not having it on his hip without anything over it but a seat belt? Is a seat belt over it make it concealed? Never thought of that before.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Outsider wrote:
Just not having it on his hip without anything over it but a seat belt? Is a seat belt over it make it concealed? Never thought of that before.

It could. Just set it on the passenger seat in plain view, and all will be fine.

thx997303

imported post

Oh and I know that he doesn't have a criminal record. And putting it where plainly visible is definitely the best bet.

Outsider

imported post

Have to remember that since I have it in the holster when I left Range Masters today and the selt belt partly covered it. Live and learn, right?

Outsider

imported post

I'm waiting for BCI to mail it off to me. On the 26th it will be a month, so about another month to go or so. We'll see.

thx997303

imported post

You know a lot of guys on here still unconceal their weapon when in their car, and they have CCW's so I would hit up one of them and see what they have to say about it, but definitely if you haven't recieved the permit then you should make sure it is unconcealed.

thx997303

imported post

Okay just confirmed, when you do get your CCW, you do not have to have your firearm plainly visible in the car, you do however have to tell any officer that stops you that you have a gun in the car, where and that you have a CCW. You also do not have to conceal.