• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jordan River Parkway

ScottyT

imported post

I rode my bike to work yesterday (27 mile round trip) and as I was riding home on the Jordan River Parkway I noticed that the Murray City section is posted No Firearms.

I was wondering if anyone has looked into this yet? I can't access UCC here at work to see if it has been discussed or not.

I was about to write an email to their Parks & Rec Director and City Attorney, but I wanted to get some input first.

Does anyone know of any other public parks that have been posted where someone in the RKBA community have gotten the signs changed or removed?

I was going to tell them that they could change it to "No Illegal Firearms" (which is stupid, because the people who carry illegal firearms won't obey a sign), or "No Discharge of Firearms" (which is redundant, as discharge is illegal in the whole county). My recommendation will be to remove the wording all together.

I also noticed that the West Jordan section did not have anything posted about firearms.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I rode my bike to work yesterday (27 mile round trip) and as I was riding home on the Jordan River Parkway I noticed that the Murray City section is posted No Firearms.

I was wondering if anyone has looked into this yet? I can't access UCC here at work to see if it has been discussed or not.

I was about to write an email to their Parks & Rec Director and City Attorney, but I wanted to get some input first.

Does anyone know of any other public parks that have been posted where someone in the RKBA community have gotten the signs changed or removed?

I was going to tell them that they could change it to "No Illegal Firearms" (which is stupid, because the people who carry illegal firearms won't obey a sign), or "No Discharge of Firearms" (which is redundant, as discharge is illegal in the whole county). My recommendation will be to remove the wording all together.

I also noticed that the West Jordan section did not have anything posted about firearms.

When I saw the AG last he said that they are working on getting that sign removed.

TJ

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I noticed the portion in South Jordan a few weeks ago and I know the city is now working to correct the signs.

I have no information on the Murray section and would suggest you contact the city of Murray to let them know as well as a call and email to the AG's office.

Charles

41 Magnum

imported post

I posed that exact question to Mitch at our last dinner. They are unenforceble as per 76-10-500. Doesn't mean you won't have to be ready for a conversation though. Same goes for the Provo river trail.

The wife and I have OC'd on both, without incident so far.:D

ScottyT

imported post

Here is the message I just sent off to the Murray City Attorney's Office:

Dear Sir:

I was riding my bike home from work yesterday along the beautiful Jordan River Parkway and saw something that disturbed me. I stopped to refill my water bottle at a park in the Murray City section of the Parkway and noticed the sign with rules and regulations on it (pedestrians and bikes only, etc.). I also noticed that this sign said "No Firearms." This ban is not mentioned on, for example, trail signs in the city of West Jordan.

As you surely know, cities in Utah do not have the authority to prohibit people from "owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control." (U.C.A. 76-10-500) Cities do have the authority to restrict the discharge of firearms, but not the possession of them:

"All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms." (U.C.A. 76-10-500)

I have received word that the State Attorney General's office has been made aware of this illegal, unenforceable restriction on the lawful carrying of firearms, perhaps you have already heard from them and this message is redundant. I am personally contacting them today to make sure they are indeed aware.

As a frequent (and lawfully armed) user of the Jordan River Parkway I must insist that the wording on these signs be removed or changed as soon as possible. Possible changes could be "No Illegal Firearms" (which would be rather silly as the individuals who carry illegally would surely disregard the notice), or "No discharge of firearms" (which would be redundant under Salt Lake County discharge regulations [County Code Title 10, Chapter 64]).

I exercise my right to carry a firearm for the protection of myself and others on a daily basis. I regularly choose to carry my firearm openly in a holster and I am thankful that Utah law allows me to do so. I would hate it if I were to have a misunderstanding with citizens or law enforcement officers who may be confused by the posted restriction.

Please keep me informed of any action taken on this matter. Thank you very much for your time and service.
I will keep you updated on any response.