• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd at Trolley Square today

GeneticsDave

imported post

OC'd today at Trolley Square, no problems at all. Very friendly people in the shops - had some good chats - not about carry, but still. There is a lot of construction up there! Almost all the shops upstairs are empty. Not what I remembered seeing :)

I'm not sure that this is a valid reason to start a new thread ;), but I thought I'd let everyone know - seeing as how there was an violent attack there a while back.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
OC'd today at Trolley Square, no problems at all. Very friendly people in the shops - had some good chats - not about carry, but still. There is a lot of construction up there! Almost all the shops upstairs are empty. Not what I remembered seeing :)

I'm not sure that this is a valid reason to start a new thread ;), but I thought I'd let everyone know - seeing as how there was an violent attack there a while back.

SGTJensen did that a while back too.

TJ

GeneticsDave

imported post

I saw that over on UCC, asked him if he thought I should before I did, he said go for it...

Maybe I'm just lucky or invisible or something (thankfully), but I haven't had any negative encounters thus far, knock on wood (or brick) :banghead:

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wow...

I thought about it, but not sure if I would do it my self, maybe with one of you. I would imagine a confrontation with LEO would not start well.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

well....

I've only been there once and dont remeber a sign. I've read many of you say a sign isnt worth much.

So can someone legaly OC at Trolly Square? or even at any other store or place of business that has a sign? Ofcourse excluding the buildings mentioned in the laws, post office, court house, federal buildings ect.

I also know if your asked to cover it up (if you legaly can) or leave that you need to.

Is there a tread that says where or where notyou can OC?

So is OC at Trolley Square ok?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

HPIM0240-724381.jpg

The sign is still there. A sign posted like this carries no legal consequences if you choose to disobey it. However, if someone asks you to leave, and you do not comply, there is a chance at being charged for trespassing.

swillden

imported post

usSiR wrote:
So can someone legaly OC at Trolly Square? or even at any other store or place of business that has a sign? Ofcourse excluding the buildings mentioned in the laws, post office, court house, federal buildings ect.

I also know if your asked to cover it up (if you legaly can) or leave that you need to.

Is there a tread that says where or where notyou can OC?

So is OC at Trolley Square ok?
In some states, if a property owner puts up a sign prohibiting weapons, that sign has legal force. Ignore it and you're a criminal. That's NOT the case in Utah, except for private residences and churches. If they put up no-gun signs, you have to obey them.

So, carrying is perfectly legal in Trolley Square, OC or CC. Of course CC requires a valid permit.

As you said, if they ask you to leave, you have to. If they ask you to cover it up, you don't have to comply with that, but if you refuse they'll probably ask you to leave... and that you have to do, or you're trespassing.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

good grief :shock:, look at all the "poop" that’s written on that sign, surprised a rock hasn’t gone through that window yet.

that makes me want to; wear a Cannibal Corps (death metal band)tee shirt, a hat sideways, invite 20 friends to wander with me all open carrying, some 2 way radios, bring my dog with one of those harness's with the handle on it, use our cameras on our phones, I don’t know what truancy is and don’t think 99% of high school kids do either, I lost my skate board back in high school, I usually don’t litter anyway, oh did I say open carry? Then see what they say

That sign is about the most ridiculous one I've ever seen!

So wait... Can a store owner/manager just ask any one to leave for any reason and if not its trespassing?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Private businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If you were asked to leave, and did not, they could call the cops. The cops could cite you for trespassing. Whether or not the charge would be legit is for the courts to decide.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Private businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If you were asked to leave, and did not, they could call the cops. The cops could cite you for trespassing. Whether or not the charge would be legit is for the courts to decide.
oh ok, thanks

thx997303

imported post

Said this in another thread but thought I would repeat it here, I think that the families of the victims of the trolley square shootings should have sued the mall. Maybe then the signs would have come down.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Can anyone point me to where, in Utah law, it says that you can disobey a sign put up by a private business until someone asks you to leave?

I'm interested because I want to be able to recite such law in case anyone asks.

thx997303

imported post

Refer to 76-10-530

76-10-530. Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty.

(1) A person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, after notice has been given as provided in Subsection (2) that firearms are prohibited, may not knowingly and intentionally:
(a) transport a firearm into:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence; or
(b) while in possession of a firearm, enter or remain in:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence.
(2) Notice that firearms are prohibited may be given by:
(a) personal communication to the actor by:
(i) the church or organization operating the house of worship;
(ii) the owner, lessee, or person with lawful right of possession of the private residence; or
(iii) a person with authority to act for the person or entity in Subsections (2)(a)(i) and (ii);
(b) posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the house of worship or private residence;
(c) announcement, by a person with authority to act for the church or organization operating the house of worship, in a regular congregational meeting in the house of worship;
(d) publication in a bulletin, newsletter, worship program, or similar document generally circulated or available to the members of the congregation regularly meeting in the house of worship; or
(e) publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the house of worship is located or the church or organization operating the house of worship has its principal office in this state.
(3) A church or organization operating a house of worship and giving notice that firearms are prohibited may:
(a) revoke the notice, with or without supersedure, by giving further notice in any manner provided in Subsection (2); and
(b) provide or allow exceptions to the prohibition as the church or organization considers advisable.
(4) (a) (i) Within 30 days of giving or revoking any notice pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e), a church or organization operating a house of worship shall notify the division on a form and in a manner as the division shall prescribe.
(ii) The division shall post on its website a list of the churches and organizations operating houses of worship who have given notice under Subsection (4)(a)(i).
(b) Any notice given pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e) shall remain in effect until revoked or for a period of one year from the date the notice was originally given, whichever occurs first.
(5) Nothing in this section permits an owner who has granted the lawful right of possession to a renter or lessee to restrict the renter or lessee from lawfully possessing a firearm in the residence.
(6) A violation of this section is an infraction.

Amended by Chapter 203, 2003 General Session

Hope that helps.

Also, for all those who have retards for landlords, who try to prohibit you from having firearms in the apartment, notice subsection 5

(5) Nothing in this section permits an owner who has granted the lawful right of possession to a renter or lessee to restrict the renter or lessee from lawfully possessing a firearm in the residence.

Anybody who has a landlord like that needs to shove this in his/her face

xRapidDavex

imported post

I don't see where that talks about a private business.... maybe I missed something?