• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

14 - Year - Old NLV Student Brings Gun To School

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8361660

Posted:
var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("May 21, 2008 6:31 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);
May 21, 2008 03:31 PM PDT

Police say they found a gun in the backpack of a middle school student.

Officers arrested the 14 - year - old boy off campus.

Police say they got a tip towards the end of the school day that the student at Brian Cram Middle School on Deer SpringsWaymay have a weapon on him.

When officers found the boy, they looked inside his backpack.

Inside, police say they found a loaded handgun.

Police say he had the loaded gun on him the entire school day.

Stay tuned to Action News as we monitor developing news around the Valley.

PT111

imported post

Did he shoot anyone with it? If not then no big deal. A 9 year old brought one to my wife's school last week. They took it before he got off the bus that morning and supsended him for two days.

Erus

imported post

I saw a blurb on this on the news.. and all the parents/administrators/even the scholl police chief all were talking about how to combat this "trend".. Things like metal detectors, more cops, student tipline, psycho-huggles for the poor misunderstood youths..... the usual stuff..

HOW ABOUT SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED PARENTING!!!???

I was born here, and came up just behind the race riots in middle school, round the late 70's early 80's. Anybody here in NV remember those days?

WE would NEVER have brought dad's guns (or our own) anywhere without Dad. It was simple.. you needed to fight or defend? You put up your fists, or ran.. Dad would skinned my ASS if I had even considered touching a gun for anything less than defending my own life. (even those of us who happened to have a switchblade or brass knuckles, or similar would never have actually used it)

I teach my kids the same thing. I know I am not alone on this board, but how is it that we who love, respect, carry and use firearms are SO ALONE in the ******* world?

Even if not about guns.. DO all the sheep really want thier kids being raised (NOT raised?)to leap to deadly force cause of an insult or little spat?

Sheesh.

Done shakin my head for now I guess./

PT111

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Want to compare violent crime rates? We are the highest in the nation according to some studies.
well according to some studies, and AK-47 can shoot an airplane out of the sky.... but I catch your drift:D

No matter what kids have no business with guns at school 2A or not. Nine to sixteenyear olds are not mature enoughto carry a gun in that type setting unless it is an extremely rare case. We are not talking about hunting but at school with the insults and other things that go on. With that said I really don't know how to stop it and complaints about parents should teach their kids better is just pointing out the problem rather than offering a solution.

I have often said that if every teacher and administrator at the high schools around here were to carry a gun they would still probably be out gunned by the students. :banghead: When a story of a kid bringing a gun to school gets out the media jumps all over it trying to scare everyone and not doing one thing to help. When one is found at my wife's school they do their best to keep it from getting out to the general public and causing panic. They try to handle it internally within the system working to help the child and parents rather than using it to boots ratings.

At one schoolnot to far from here they found a gun on a student and the word got out with the media jumping all over it. Before the day was over one-half of the students had been picked up early by their parents and over a fourth stayed home the next day. Just what good did that do other that traumatize the students? :what:

As I say I don't have the solution but I do know some things that you shouldn't do.

calmp9

imported post

The kid brought the gun to school for a reason. If it wasn't to shoot somebody, it was to brag to others that he had it. Regardless, we can't have our kids running around with loaded firearms.

calmp9

imported post

Not to get on you. but maybe if people in your area thought that children brining a loaded firearm to school was a big deal, that violent crime rate might drop just a hair.

We're just as guilty of that here in California. Violent crime happens so much, we don't even bat an eyelid when it happens.

The problem is that we become desensitized to the violence around us. In my area, it used to be that a shooting was headline news. Now, some of the shootings don't even make it to the paper at all. That's how bad it is.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

There is a big difference between a shooting and a gun at a school. If every time a firearm was found at a school you expected it to be the front page headline, it'd be the headline on the morning and evening editions of every paper every day. Statistically, in the 1996-1997 school year, 6093 students were reportedly expelled for having firearms in schools inthe United States. I'm sure thefirearms found were only a very small percentage of the guns actually in the schools.

http://www.ed.gov/pubs/gunfree/gunfree.pdf- Source of statistics I quoted.

The kid brought the gun to school for a reason. If it wasn't to shoot somebody, it was to brag to others that he had it.

I'm not trying to defend anyone's actions, but those aren't the only reasons a kid might bring a gun to school. Maybe they are afraid of school shootings! With all the media saturationabout school shootings it wouldn't surprise me.