• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National City Bank in Manchester

N00blet45

imported post

Ok so I was openly carrying my firearm into my bank the other day (I had done the same thing four seperate times with two different tellers and had no problems.) and the lady at the counter said I wasn't allowed to carry into the bank. I told her there were no signs posted, which there weren't, and she said that it is just common knowledge. So instead of calling the manager over she continued to cash my check. I assume she complained to the manager later because after I left I received a phone call from the bank manager. I was away looking at apartments so I had to wait a day to return the call.

I returned the call and the manager said that I can't carry because of a federal law that bans firearms in federally insured buildings. I argued that she is probably mistaken and asked her if she could give me the statute. She said she didn't know it but knew it existed. I then asked her if I could show that there is no such law and be allowed to carry into the bank again. She said no because it's bank policy too. She then refered me to her security consultant. I called him and he said the same thing, minus the bank policy crap. He told me to call the county attorney. I called him and he said he'd never heard of anything like that but he wasn't sure. He told me to google it, which I already had. So I left a message with the security guy asking him to do a little research for me to find that law, since he offered in our conversation earlier.

Does anyone know of a bank in the London/Corbin area that doesn't have a problem with armed citizens? I know there is a BB&T and also a Cumberland Valley National Bank here in town. I suppose I'll try to open an account with them to see how they react.

JohnKelly

imported post

There is no such law, carrying into a bank is legal in Kentucky. It may be against the bank policy, in which case they can ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you could be charged with trespassing.

You can surely find a bank that doesn't infringe upon your rights, and close your account at the first bank with a letter to the branch manager (maybe cc'd to corporate) explaining why.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

National City Bank, with the green colors?

I think this was run up the ladder here in Ohio not too long ago (but I can't find the thread), and CCW was fine, and I thought OC was too.

Write customer service, and then contact their security department if you are not satisfied with the answer. Please post the results.

If necessary, I will post a message on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forum to get a better answer.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1) The building isn't federeally insured, the deposits are assuming the are an FDIC member

2) There are lots of people on the forum, myself included, who carry into non-posted banks regularly.

3) They are full of bull-squeeze and it sounds like they are making up something so they don't have to take responsibility for their own corporate decision.

reefteach

imported post

Everybody also knows it is federal law you can't carry in a candy store because of the children :quirky

I would not trust them with my money, or my safety.

N00blet45

imported post

I sent an email to them. I'll see what they say. Still no word back from their security guy.

Honestly what it sounds like to me is that one employee felt "uncomfortable" and complained to the manager. Like I said I did it four other times, with two different tellers and with other customers in the bank and not so much as a peep. I guess I'll find out in a few days if they value their employees' feelings over their customers' business and then I'll make my decision.

N00blet45

imported post

I received a reply to my email on the 23rd. It basically said that their policy is no firearms in the bank. So I sent them another email telling them what I think of their policy requiring me to be disarmed to do business. I'll be heading in to close my account and move my money into another bank account within the week (I'd go sooner but it's an hour drive to the town I'm moving to).

I'm sure one of the banks in London will be willing to do business with an armed citizens wishing to deposit money. We'll see.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I received a reply to my email on the 23rd. It basically said that their policy is no firearms in the bank...

Who was the reply from?

Can you hold off a few days before you act? I swear I thought I heard otherwise.

I have posted a message to an Ohio board (their headquarters is here), and will follow-up.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=20078

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It seems that there is some disagreement on the subject.

I suggest going up the food chain. Who did you get your info from?

Check out the post by robkjv, last December.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=15867&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

"Just some info, my wife works at National City and is the Head Teller. After I got my CHL she was talking to one of the girls there who was interested in getting hers. The Branch Manager made the statement that no one is allowed to carry in banks because they are federal building. My wife set him straight on that, and then he decided to call the home office and find out for sure what Nat. City's policy is.

He was told that Nat. City has a strict policy that ALLOWS CHL and if any branch posts, they are to be reported and the manager will be reprimanded."

I realize that the above references CC, but it shouldn't be too much of a leap to get themto accept OC... (at corporate)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I think it's just from a customer service rep. Think maybe I should call and get someone with some say-so?

Exactly.

Get ahold of someone in the Branch Administration department (I wouldn't go to security first), and say that this is an issue you are concerned about, but you are aware of other people from Ohio, KY (and some other places they have branches) that have a different understanding of their policy than the local manager seems to have.

I'm one of their customers (for now), and surely they would not like you to have to let your acquaintances across a number of states know that their policy is something other than what they have always understood it to be?

Statesman

imported post

BB62 wrote:
The Branch Manager made the statement that no one is allowed to carry in banks because they are federal building.
What?! What have they been feeding these bank tellers?

Banks are privately owned, not federal buildings. How do these people get employed in banks in the first place? Just because FDIC signs are plastered all over the teller windows, doesn't signify federal property. I'm sure the same woman that made this statement also thinks the Federal Reserve is a branch of the federal government. The banks and the Fed are no more federal than Federal Express.

On an unrelated note, I think I may have just set a record on saying the word "federal" in a coherent manner, in two sentences. :lol:

templar223

imported post

You should probably close your account with them anyway as they are in trouble as a bank.

Put your money in a safer bank that isn't skeered of guns.

John

phantom1984

imported post

I bank with US Bank. Im friends with the bank manager where I go and he knows i carry CC and OC He says when he see's me he feels a bit safer knowing if he was being robbed and one of his employees or customers was being threatend That i was there to help. He owns firearms and even keeps one in his desk but chances are he wouldnt be able to get to it. this is what i carry.