• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BCI attacking out of State permits

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I realize some consider concealed carry permits to be off topic, or even offensive here. I'll suggest we can either hang together, or hang seperately.

For the last couple of years, ever since the head of DPS was changed
to Duncan a couple of years ago, that agency has failed to meet
legislative mandates to issue permits on time. They have been looking
for excuses for their own incompetence and unwillingness to do what
they need to do.

Their favored scapegoat the last couple of years has been the issuance
of carry permits to non-residents. Simply put, there is NO PROBLEM
with this practice. Several other State issue permits to
non-residents and NOBODY has a problem and no other State is even
talking about restricting non-resident permits. Indeed, the trend
nationwide is to make permits more available, to recognize more
permits, and to generally be more respectful of RKBA.

PLEASE take a moment to call your State legislators, the governor's
office, (full contact info for these government officials at
http://www.goutahorg.org) and even DPS Commissioner Duncan (at (801)
965-4461, ask for the commissioner's officer) and let them know
(politely but firmly) that you are tired of this kind of scapegoating
and there is no reason to limit lawful self-defense for anyone. There
is no reason to limit out of State permits.

We benefit GREATLY by the fact that there are 50,000 non-Utahns with
Utah permits who have a vested interest in their home States honoring
a Utah permit. Our tourism industry benefits from the fact that so
many people know we respect their rights to an effective self-defense.

Charles

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3363827

Utah's concealed weapons permit numbers grow
May 22nd, 2008 @ 10:22am

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- As the number of concealed weapons permits
issued to out-of-staters continues to rise, Utah public safety
officials say it might be time to cut off applications.

By the end of the year, officials estimate Utah will have issued more
than 40,000 permits, nearly 150 percent more than issued last year.
It's a 250 percent increase over permits issued in 2006.

Since 1994 about two-thirds of permits issued go to out-of-staters.

At a meeting with lawmakers on Wednesday, Public Safety Commissioner
Col. Scott Duncan said the state should end out-of-state permitting.
He says the program leaves Utah with a number of problems, including
the inability to monitor some Utah-certified permit instructors. About
70 percent live in states other than Utah.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
We're discussing it over on UtahConcealedCarry.com as well. It's an important topic though - I'm glad we're talking about it here as well.
I don't think I have an active account there yet. Will you please encourage those guys to call DPS and their legislators to oppose this needless infringement of RKBA.

Utah greatly benefits by having so many non-residents with a vested interest in their home States recognizing our permits. Not to mention how many may choose to vacation here because we are so good on RKBA.

GeneticsDave

imported post

They have the notion that only Utahns should have Utah permits. If this were the case, it would be easier to ensure that instructors were teaching curriculum correctly as they would only have to "police" local instructors. They would also cut down on the number of permits they would have to process. From what I understand nearly half of the applications are for people who live out of state. Since BCI has been having a hard time processing all the applications, they are looking for an easy way out rather than hiring more people or reviewing their processing methods.

While having our BCI only process Utah applicants permits sounds nice (who wouldn't want to get their permit faster) it does violate the way most of us feel - that every law abiding citizen should have the right to protect themselves, regardless of where they live. If the Utah permit can help, we should be honored to be given that opportunity.

thx997303

imported post

Aside from hiring more people, they really need to fix their stupid computer system. I mean when I bought my SKS, I couldn't get it until the next day because their systems were down.

thx997303

imported post

Still seems like a while to me. I guess when I get mine when I come back from BCT and AIT I'll find out how long they take to get.

thx997303

imported post

Only if you like living in a democracy where you have freedoms, :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

If you wanted to live in a communist country where you have to ask to take a leak then: NO NO IT'S NOT ALRIGHT!!! :cuss: :D

xmirage2kx

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Only if you like living in a democracy where you have freedoms, :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

If you wanted to live in a communist country where you have to ask to take a leak then: NO NO IT'S NOT ALRIGHT!!! :cuss: :D
I perfer a REPUBLIC

UTOC-45-44

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

I perfer a REPUBLIC

[align=center]
flag2.gif
[/align]

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to
the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

==========================

...the Republic , :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

andNOT for the Democracy for which it stands.

TJ

Outsider

imported post

I got into a huge argument with someone over what the United States of America is. They said it was a democratic-republic, not just a republic. I was like, "wtf is that anywhere in any US documents?" Yeah, didn't get an answer.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Outsider wrote:
I got into a huge argument with someone over what the United States of America is. They said it was a democratic-republic, not just a republic. I was like, "wtf is that anywhere in any US documents?" Yeah, didn't get an answer.
I had heard a long time ago it's supposed to be a democratically elected republic, but as royaly screwed up as our electoral system is, even that's not true.