• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FLASH FLASH FLASH

PavePusher

imported post

Just got a message on the phone: Rep. Giffords will be doing a "Congress on your Cornor" meet-the-public on Saturday, 24 May, in Tucson, at the Safeway on the South-East cornor of Broadway and Houghton, from 1200-1400. Call 881-3588 for more details.

I live only a few miles south, I plan to O.C. andarrive there between 1200-1230 with ACDL literature and cards in hand, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't. Won't be staying, just show up to ask some questions, hand out flyers if anyone asks me questions, and do some shopping. Maybe an hour total.

Cross-posted in National/Politics.

Thoughts?

400HP

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Just got a message on the phone: Rep. Giffords will be doing a "Congress on your Cornor" meet-the-public on Saturday, 24 May, in Tucson, at the Safeway on the South-East cornor of Broadway and Houghton, from 1200-1400. Call 881-3588 for more details.

I live only a few miles south, I plan to O.C. andarrive there between 1200-1230 with ACDL literature and cards in hand, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't. Won't be staying, just show up to ask some questions, hand out flyers if anyone asks me questions, and do some shopping. Maybe an hour total.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I don't really think it is a very good idea (carrying while meeting her). I know it might be blasphemy but that is how I feel. I think meeting with her however is a great idea. I just sent an email a few days ago concerning national park carry and would like to talk to her about it in person. I also live a few miles south of Houghton/Broadway.

In regards to open carry to the meeting, although I have mixed feelings about the OC activities on the board, it is only mixed because sometimes it results in "no firearms" signs being posted. Selfish I know. I would hate to see aLEO take care of business because of who she is, and you getting (wrongly) intemporary trouble.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

PavePusher wrote:

Thoughts?

Hey PP :)lol:),I don't see any problem in OCing unless there any restrictions under State Law that would prohibit you from doing it.

Remember that SGTJensen and I went to the Ron Paul Rally here in SLC. The SLC PD saw and didn't flintch.

You have my support.

TJ

ATCer

imported post

Sounds like a novel idea. If I do attend, bet you bottom dollar I'll be OCing! :D

PavePusher

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Thoughts?

Hey PP :)lol:),I don't see any problem in OCing unless there any restrictions under State Law that would prohibit you from doing it.

Remember that SGTJensen and I went to the Ron Paul Rally here in SLC. The SLC PD saw and didn't flintch.

You have my support.

TJ

Well, I don't see a problem with it as being incedental to some needed shopping. The only problem is that Giffords is notorious for her anti-citizen weapons rights actions and statements. I think it would be good for her to shake hands and talk to an O.C.er. But I don't know the local politics very well yet, so I'm willing to take comments and advice from folks who have lived here longer then me before jumping off this bridge. No legal restrictions that I know of, don't know if Safeway is posted or not, and I'm not asking...:p

Oh, and my recorder will be on...:)

Armed4Life

imported post

Pave Pusher,
Please, please, please do not OC at that event....You might make the congresswoman uncomfortable. You should know that her comfort trumps your rights (sarcasm added).
I wouldn't think twice myself. If I weren't going to be in evil CA for the next 2 weeks, I would join you. Good Luck.

Dahwg

imported post

OOOOH I may join you. None of the Safeway's I've shopped at are posted, so if I didn't happen to know she was there ahead of time, I would be carrying. Some questions I want to ask her. If I can't make it someone please ask.

1. Why did you not sign the amicus brief filed by members of congress supproting my RKBA?
  2. When you ran for congress, you stated that you wanted to go help clean things up, how does this square with your emarrasingly massive number of earmarks?
  3. On the subject of embarrasing; do you really expect that we are so dumb that we buy your spin about being the biggest spender on franking (using public funds to spam your mailbox with "gee look what I did aren't I great" full color mailings)?
  4. Why should we believe you when you say you represent the interests of our state when, in fact, Nearly one out of every four dollars collected by you in individual donations of $200 or more has come from outside Arizona?

PavePusher

imported post

Well, here's my report:

EPIC FAIL.

Well, mostly fail anyway.

Got up early (for me, I work night shift) and started running errands. I had a bit of a plumbing problem Thursday, and had to find somenew toilet parts, and bits and peices to elevate stuff in the bathroom closet. Couldn't do it Friday due to prior engagement. Anyway, Saturdays stuff took longer than I thought it would. Got to Safeway about 1350, saw there were quite a few people in line for Ms. Giffords, so went into the store to do my shopping, also thought a guy O.C.ing with two bags of groceries would be a bit less shocking than just a guy with a gun.

Got back outside (Safeway appears to be O.C. tolerent), and headed over to the tables to browse the literature on display. Grabbed a handful of stuff to read at home while doing the "polite elbowing" through the gathering ('Scuse me, pardon me, excuse me please...). Started to get into the receiving line, but was intercepted by one of her aides who had just closed the line (it was about 1405 by then). He apologised, said they were on a tight schedule and couldn't take any more people.

I went back to the truck, packed up, put some music on, dawdled for a few minutes, then pulled out and drove past the venue on the way to the street. They hadn't taken any more into the line and the aide was still in his blocking position, so I'm sure it wasn't because I was carrying.

I never heard any comments while I wandered through the crowd, gun must have been seen (black 1911 in Serpa, against black shorts and bright blue, snug polo shirt). So that part went well. But I totally failed in the mission to ask about the Carry on Campus and Carry in Restaurants issues, so I'd have to say mission not accomplished. Sorry folks. I will try to keep up with when she does this again and make anothereffort.

Damn. I had my recorder running, AZCDL pamphlet and cards in my pocket, ready to roll. The suckness is strong within me this week.

So now I'm going to the range to work out my frustration with some .45 and 7.62x54 goodness. Bugger.