• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed at Conoco

Outsider

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Outsider wrote:
What the difference between an 18 year old owning a pistol and a 21 year old purchasing a firearm? Don't you have to purchase to own? Or could I (22) buy a gun and give it to someone 18 as a gift and transfer it over to them or something like that?
To purchase a new firearm from a dealer, non handgun, you need to be 18. To purchase a new handgun from a dealer, you need to be 21. In the state of Utah, to purchase any firearm privately, like through KSL, you need to be 18, unless accompanied my a parent.

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-509.9. Sales of firearms to juveniles.
(1) A person may not sell any firearm to a minor under 18 years of age unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian.
(2) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a third degree felony. [/font]
Is private also thought of like at a gunshow?

Maz, I hear you there!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

If you buy a firearm from a dealer at the gun show, all rules and a background checkwill apply. If you buy a firearm from a private party attending the gun show, it is the same as buying one on KSL.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yeah, I never understood what this supposed "Gun Show Loophole" was. As far as I can tell, there is no loophole (at least not now), whatever is done at the Gun Show can be done anytime, anywhere. Stupid. :banghead:

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Yeah, I never understood what this supposed "Gun Show Loophole" was. As far as I can tell, there is no loophole (at least not now), whatever is done at the Gun Show can be done anytime, anywhere. Stupid. :banghead:
Well like what was said if its a dealer you go through all the same checks like at a store, but I do remember going to some gun showsback a while ago and being told you dont need to do the check.

The very first gun I bought was at a gun show here in Sandy, UT in 2004. Itwas a sporterized 1903 A4, from a guy that had a booth, he was selling guns from a estate sale, some girls dad left her all kinds of guns and she didnt want anything to do with them, I told him she was stupid, he said she just wanted the money from them. I paid $200 cash, he did want to see an ID to make sure I was 18 though.

So there is plenty of people at shows to buy from with no background check, which reminds me... A guy at work wants to buy my Walther P1, he has felony charges (for drugs)so I told him no and sorry I had to be that way but I'm not getting into trouble like that.

thx997303

imported post

Outsider, what do you mean goff? I only ever remember telling him it was legal and if he wanted to know anything about it he could ask me if he so desired. I will however stop calling him at almost midnight.:D He doesn't seem to like being woke up.

Outsider

imported post

I haven't a clue what you mean to be honest, thx. I just went and saw him at his work, OCed there. I thought management was going to come get me because there were three people coming towards me in Honda uniforms! *gasp*

Outsider

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
ScottyT made that, you can get it here: Utah Gun Law Pamphlet

I currently live in an apartment complex where you have to give them the serial number and a photo of your gun so they can have it on record. I just went over and "registered" my gun with the complex and I also gave them that Utah Gun Law Pamphlet from ScottyT so they knew more about it. I said, "And I also printed you this out if case you didn't know much about Utah gun laws." And the lady was actually very grateful to have gotten it.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Outsider wrote:
I currently live in an apartment complex where you have to give them the serial number and a photo of your gun so they can have it on record. I just went over and "registered" my gun with the complex and I also gave them that Utah Gun Law Pamphlet from ScottyT so they knew more about it. I said, "And I also printed you this out if case you didn't know much about Utah gun laws." And the lady was actually very grateful to have gotten it.

Can a land lord do that? That doesn't seen right to me, I understand the concern but still.

good on you giving her the pamphlet.

thx997303

imported post

Yeah I don't think they can actually require you to do that. I don't like the idea of any of my weapons being registered. Take a look at your lease, hopefully you didn't sign anything that has that in it. If it aint in the lease, then I would never do that.

Oh and Outsider I was responding to a post you made earlier about giving my brother goff. Maybe in a different thread, i don't know I'm tired. No sleep for 24 hours does not help in thinking.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Outsider wrote:
So off I went to the Conoco gas station down the street. I went in and just went to get some drinks and milk and went to the counter. The guy did his normal stuff, "Is that all for you?" "Yes," I said as I took out my credit card. "Credit or debit?" "Credit." I got the receipt and looked at it and had like "Vehicle ID/License Number." The guy said, "Oh, sorry."
it is a Merchant violation under MasterCard and VISA rules for merchants to demand ID or personsal info to use signed credit cards. In some states, like California, asking for personal info on the slip is unlawful and class actionable for liquidated damages.

Outsider

imported post

usSiR wrote:
Outsider wrote:

Can a land lord do that? That doesn't seen right to me, I understand the concern but still.

good on you giving her the pamphlet.

From my lease agreement:
21. FIREARMS, WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVES. Unless prior written contest is received from the Landlord and all other Tenants in the rental unit, Tenant, nor his/her agents, or guest(s), may not store, keep or maintain on the premises any firmarms, explosives, or dangerous weapons, including kives (except reasonaly cutlery), paintball or air guns, or othe ritems which, in its intended use, are capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

It goes on but that is what the agreement says. I'm moving out of this apartment in a month so it doesn't matter to me, but that and monthly "cleaning" checks have always had me edgy.

Outsider

imported post

Mike wrote:
Outsider wrote:
So off I went to the Conoco gas station down the street. I went in and just went to get some drinks and milk and went to the counter. The guy did his normal stuff, "Is that all for you?" "Yes," I said as I took out my credit card. "Credit or debit?" "Credit." I got the receipt and looked at it and had like "Vehicle ID/License Number." The guy said, "Oh, sorry."
it is a Merchant violation under MasterCard and VISA rules for merchants to demand ID or personsal info to use signed credit cards. In some states, like California, asking for personal info on the slip is unlawful and class actionable for liquidated damages.

Thanks for the information. It will help. Glad to know the laws.

thx997303

imported post

Yeah I would not ever live in such a communist area. Yes I find that to be akin to communism. And boy my landlord would have evicted me a long time ago if I had to submit to monthly cleaning checks.:?

Outsider

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Outsider wrote:
I'm moving out of this apartment in a month so it doesn't matter to me, but that and monthly "cleaning" checks have always had me edgy.

Sounds like student housing. Gotta love that! :?

It is part student and part married. One of the reasons we are moving in a month. Wife gets all stressed out each time and ends up yelling at me and she's not very fun to be around then.

Outsider

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
ScottyT made that, you can get it here: Utah Gun Law Pamphlet
Does anyone oppose sending this to local law enforcement agencies? I had talked to Utah Highway Patrol and Utah Sheriff's Department and they didn't have an answer to my open-carry questions. Also Range Masters of Utah didn't either. I want to "educate" or help enhance their knowledge bank.

thx997303

imported post

That would be something you should address to the maker of the pamphlet, bu I really like that thinking, I think that Mitch Vilos's book Utah Gun Law, should be required reading for all LEO's during police academy, then they should be tested on it before they can become a certified peace officer.

Oh yeah I'm going to go through the police academy when I come back from AIT next year, so maybe I can do some edumacation from the inside. You know Sneaky Sneaky.