• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bail Bond Agents

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear, you may very well be right on this. On the flip side you might be wrong about it. Only time and investigations will tell, at least what they find to be the truth, and then we can revisit the reason for the shooting and see who was right. Sound fair? I just don't see arguing over it because none of us know all the facts about it. There are only six people who do know all the facts, two of which probably only know partial facts, and I bet the other four all have discrepencies in thier stories.
You just said what I have been saying. There is no evidence that a crime has been committed at this point and to accuse anyone of murder is way out of line.

joeroket

imported post

Don't get me wrong bear, I do agree that there, so far, has been no crime committed. It seems from the reports that they were trying to capture a fugitive who had outstanding bonds and things went bad. One news report indicates that they may have been targeting the felon hard because of the break-ins. I think that might play a little in the investigation but not to the extent that it warrants criminal charges against the bounty hunters.

spinningthewheel

imported post

calling this unfortunate shooting 'vigilante justice' is nothing but gossip from an overactive imagination. There were 4 recovering agents at the scene. 3 who were independent contractors that have no links to the bail bond company, so have no reason to care that he stole thousands of dollars from the company, and the 4th was the owner of the company, who did not get out of the car until it was over and had no weapon on him.

The man they were trying to apprehend was a known drug dealer and had prior weapon related charges against him, as well as assault on apolice officer. I would have brought an army with me to aprehend this guy. He had made direct threats to the recovery agents and tried to run them down with his car. They also found 2 guns in the car he was driving.

Recovery agents don't consider themselves Dog the Bounty Hunter, they have families and cherish their lives.They were justified in protecting themselves from this scumbag.

expvideo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Yeah, a contract hit. You guys have some real TV fantasies that have nothing to do with real life what so ever. Nobody whacks anybody over a couple grand.
rolleyes.gif
OH YEAH? tell that to the2 guys now spending time at Levenworth as a result of a case I cleared in 1979 in Montana.
Yeah, a multi-million dollar business puts out a contract on a guy who steals a couple of thousand dollars, reality check please.
+1

amlevin

imported post

I lived in the Denver area a few years ago when a "Bail Bond Agent" tried to apprehend a fugitive. There, these agents are not allowed to carry firearms. The agent was shot and killed. Big outcry over the fact they are forced, by law, to be unarmed. Seems like a Bail Agent can't win either way. If unarmed he can be killed. If armed he is questioned when he defends himself. Go figure.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems like we're getting off track here focusing on this individual story. I am interested in the general question, what do we do as armed citizens if we are confronted by a bail bond agent in a case of mistaken identity. Most of us have a plan with how to deal with cops, but bail bond agents are a completely different matter. Anyone could be a bond agent, are they required to prove identification as an agent? Am I required to prove my identity to them? What are my risks of being shot if I don't? If thinks I'm a fellon, and sees me OCing (in his mind illegally) could I be shot? I think it is a very serious issue we need to think about.

joeroket

imported post

asforme wrote:
Seems like we're getting off track here focusing on this individual story. I am interested in the general question, what do we do as armed citizens if we are confronted by a bail bond agent in a case of mistaken identity. Most of us have a plan with how to deal with cops, but bail bond agents are a completely different matter. Anyone could be a bond agent, are they required to prove identification as an agent? Am I required to prove my identity to them? What are my risks of being shot if I don't? If thinks I'm a fellon, and sees me OCing (in his mind illegally) could I be shot? I think it is a very serious issue we need to think about.
The answers to your questions are dependant on the statues of the state you live in. Here in Wa they are required to ID themselves and produce documentation that outlines thier justification for the capture.

amlevin

imported post

asforme wrote:
Many of the Bail Agents here have been infused with the "mall ninja" gene and are usually decked out in Bullet Proof Vests, Shirts with a large "Bond Agent" (or something similar) on the back, and do all they can to look as much as possible like a Police Tactical Team. As close as possible without crossing over into the impersonation realm. If you ask one, they explain that this is to make sure that they are ID'd as soon as posible should they encounter the real LEO's. The issue is not usually knowing if they are legit or not, it is what they will do if a car backfires nearby while they are attempting to apprehend a bond skip.