• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction and a couple of questions

cwp

imported post

Hey all, I live in Idaho, and don't carry open a lot, usually concealled carry, but do sometimes. Anyway, having read through the threads some, and having looked through the Idaho Constitution, I had a question (I have asked this of the Govenor wrt workplace, and was told if I felt there was a problem, hire a lawyer).

Anyway, Article XI of the constitution covers corporations (Public and Private), and inside of that article, Section 07 is

SECTION 7. ACCEPTANCE OF CONSTITUTION BY CORPORATIONS. No corporation
other than municipal corporations in existence at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall have the benefit of any future legislation, without first filing in the office of the secretary of state an acceptance of the provisions of this Constitution in binding form.

SECTION 8. RIGHT OF EMINENT DOMAIN AND POLICE POWER RESERVED. The right
of eminent domain shall never be abridged, nor so construed as to prevent the legislature from taking the property and franchises of incorporated companies, and subjecting them to public use, the same as the property of individuals; and the police powers of the state shall never be abridged or so construed as to permit corporations to conduct their business in such manner as to infringe the equal rights of individuals, or the general well being of the state.

Section 12 is also a very interesting section on retroactive laws and imposing new liabilities on people (might apply to BSU rules?).

Anyway, I would like to see a discussion on this part of the constitution, and see if others read it the way I do. I really don't see how a corporation can be in compliance legally with this section, and still ban firearms (as that is is right Article 1 Section 11).

Thanks for reading my ramblings, would love to get your thoughts on this.

--Carl
edited for formating

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

ooooOOOOOh. I think you might be onto something here! I too, will look into this. Keep us updated if you can get a friend who's a lawyer to review this.
Welcome btw!

cwp

imported post

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have any lawyer friends, or I would have brought it up. I had e-mailed the governor about this, but his response was to take it to a lawyer if I felt a civil right was being violated.

Anyway, when I found this site, I figured it would at least be good for a discussion, and to see if I was way off base on reading the constitution. My reading, no public or private corp that was created after the constitution was adopted could in any way limit the rights of an individual. This would seem to apply to colleges, Parks and Rec, etc. as well as stores, employers, etc.

--Carl

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Having re-read it... it appears that since U of I's was incorporated before Idaho became a state, that they have an 'out' and don't necessarily have to follow certain things like following state firearms laws. Now I don't know when ISU and BSU were incorporated, but if it was after the adoption of the state Constitution, then they'd have to follow state law on the matter.

Otherwise, you're correct that state parks etc have to comply with state law on guns in particular... this was just clarified in a piece of legislation that took effect about 2-3 months ago.

cwp

imported post

Do you have a link to the legislation? I did a search and didn't see it.

Thanks,
--Carl

Farlo

imported post

Pertinent dates:

Idaho State Constitution accepted: 1890

Boise State University founded: 1932
University of Idaho founded: 1889
Idaho State University founded: 1901

It looks like U of I could weasel out, but not the others.

cwp

imported post

Then the question becomes, is the University of Idaho a municipal corporation? It still may not fit.

Also, if it wasn't banned before, section 12 could block it, being a new liability.

--Carl