• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

nagant revolver

does a nagant revolver have enough power to be a defensive weapon?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Seif5034

imported post

i like classic weapons and was thinking about buying this model revolver. i'm just wondering if it's strong enough to carry or should i just keep it on the range?

Attachments

• MVC-574S.jpg
    MVC-574S.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 355

Legba

imported post

You can supposedly shoot .32 longs and magnums out of these, as is, but I've not tried it. The Soviet .30-cal rounds for it aren't much for a defensive round, IMO. I'd keep it strictly as a novelty piece for the range.

-ljp

tdyoung58

imported post

Not something I'd choose. Not that it's a bad gun or anything.

I'm a .45 acp kinda guy

Evil Ernie

imported post

I have to admit it wouldn't be my first choice, but hey, whatever gets the job done and has the capacity to protect you and yours. Ammo can be a bit tricky to get sometimes tho.
Nice Tula made Nagant, is that the one you're getting? She's in nice shape!
I've been meaning to get one or three (with my C&R I get them for $70) but just haven't gotten around to making the order yet.

Here's a good article on the Nagant revolver:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_7_50/ai_n6038098/pg_1

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Why not? I think it'd work just fine. For the price I think itsa great weapon too.I'd much rather rely on one for self-defense than a Lorcin/Jennings/Bryco etc., or even a hi-point. No offense to hi-point owners. I like revolvers, and the Nagant is still considerably cheaper than a hi-point.

Somedownsides to the design include slow loading since you must load the rounds one at a time through the gate and a long trigger pull, but if it were me I wouldn't have any issues with it. Also practice ammunition is expensive.

It may not be the best defensive firearm ever designed, but I think it'd be fun to carry it and it'd get the job done. More modern revolvers and good semi-autos would probably be overall better weapons though if you had the choice.

If I had a C&R I'd buy one right now before the price goes up, tocollectit if nothing else.

imperialism2024

imported post

I guess they're also cheap enough that you can buy several. Hell, at $70 a piece, just buy a lot of 10, and you'll have instant access to 70 rounds before a reload. Can't beat that!

So where's our buddy (buddies?) from the hi-point thread to tell us about how Nagant revolvers are made out of fake metal, and will turn into dust after 3 years because they're inexpensive and not made in America?

samdavisrises

imported post

A Nagant revolver was my first pistol, and I have occasionly carried it as a going-out-the-door gun, it just fits into a coat pocket well. Is it preferable? No. But it was cheap and interesting, and lead to several other delightful commie guns.

You can shoot 32 Smith and Wesson longs out of it. With all ammo, mine had a tendency to not want to give up all the brass, sometimes requiring a bench and effort to get the last one out. Firing reliability is absolute, though. The firing pin is huge. The double action trigger pull is impressive, the worst I have ever felt. Recoil is very light though, and the sights are rudimentary.

All in all, I would encourage you to buy it. I have enjoyed it at the range and as a "stash" gun. Any gun in the hand is better than a great gun still in the showroom.

Seif5034

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
INice Tula made Nagant, is that the one you're getting? She's in nice shape!

the one i get will be similar this was just a picture i copied from "buymilsurp.com" they regularly have TULA-made nagants for about $109

thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated.

Evil Ernie

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
So where's our buddy (buddies?) from the hi-point thread to tell us about how Nagant revolvers are made out of fake metal, and will turn into dust after 3 years because they're inexpensive and not made in America?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah, whats worse than pot metal? Russian Commie Pot Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$109 is a good price!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah, whats worse than pot metal? Russian Commie Pot Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$109 is a good price!
Well, for a lot of the Nagants its probably Tsarist metal.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Out of curiosity, is the 7.62 Nagant a readily available cartridge? I can't find much information on it at all. If not, can you use standard american .32 handgun calibers in this revolver without modification?

I saw a few of these for about $70 and I was thinking about getting one in a few months along with a Makarov or similar 9x18mm handgun. This Mosin Nagant thing has got me interested in more dirt cheap, fun Russian firearms. Plus the little Makarov seems like it could be CCed relatively easily.

Seif5034

imported post

Yeah you can use .32 S&W long in them andI found that 7.62 nagant is pretty easy to get. Not necesarily in a local shop but check ammunitiontogo.com they've got some at a decent price. It's usually in the ballpark of $.50/rd

samdavisrises

imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
Yeah you can use .32 S&W long in them andI found that 7.62 nagant is pretty easy to get. Not necesarily in a local shop but check ammunitiontogo.com they've got some at a decent price. It's usually in the ballpark of $.50/rd

Ditto. 7.62 Nagant in my experience is outragous purchased face-to-face, if you can find it. However, it is on the internet at various places, usually for around $ .50 a round.