Thread: local police think you cant open carry

Post imported post

here's something kind of strange and funny, i spoke with local terre haute police today after reading this forum quite extensively and they still swear you can only conceal carry. then i called the county sheriffs office and they said you can open carry but might think twice about it, and the state police said the same thing. so either the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!

Post imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
    here's something kind of strange and funny, i spoke with local terre haute police today after reading this forum quite extensively and they still swear you can only conceal carry. then i called the county sheriffs office and they said you can open carry but might think twice about it, and the state police said the same thing. so either the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!
    "the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!" is more often true than we want to believe. But rather being ignorant is that they DON'T KNOW THE LAW due to the fact that they are..........LAW ENFORCEMENT officers. The mentality is that while they pound themselves on the chest, point at the Badge and say something to the effect "-I have a Badge and I can only carry a gun Openly" :quirky

TJ

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
    have them ask a prosecuter and get back to you.

Post imported post

Of all the cops I have talked to they all know its legal a few did say they would suggest to conceal your gun but wouldn’t do any more.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Well, since the Terre Haute Police Department answers to the Terre Haute mayor, why not write him a letter and ask why his police force is not properly trained? Or, would he prefer a civil rights lawsuit when his police arrest someone for open carrying?

Post imported post

Here in Indy I havn't had any problems yet. In fact the other day I was delivering to a home and the owner is a detective. We started talking about firearms and current events i.e. the president and the rising crime rate due to the economy. I mentioned that I mostly open carry and he didn't bat an eye. I really expected some type of negative remark against oc.

His last remark to me on guns was "better buy em while you still can".........
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Post imported post

Just a historical question: Haven't Indiana's laws regarding legal carry of a firearm beensubstantially unchanged for 70 or 80 years now? The reasonI ask is that it seems mighty peculiar that, given this fact, any police agency in the state could be so far off in their understanding of the law.

This leads me to believe that the persons from Terre Haute PD answering the question was slingin' some bovine excrement when stating that open carry wasn't legal.

Post imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
    This is precisely why the founders of this fine site have asked several times that people stop asking the police for legal advice.