• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

local police think you cant open carry

foxxie02

imported post

here's something kind of strange and funny, i spoke with local terre haute police today after reading this forum quite extensively and they still swear you can only conceal carry. then i called the county sheriffs office and they said you can open carry but might think twice about it, and the state police said the same thing. so either the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
here's something kind of strange and funny, i spoke with local terre haute police today after reading this forum quite extensively and they still swear you can only conceal carry. then i called the county sheriffs office and they said you can open carry but might think twice about it, and the state police said the same thing. so either the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!

"the local police are ignorant or dont want to deal with calls of "man with gun"!!" is more often true than we want to believe. But rather being ignorant is that they DON'T KNOW THE LAW :uhoh:due to the fact that they are..........LAW ENFORCEMENT officers. The mentality is that while they pound themselves on the chest, point at the Badge and say something to the effect "-I have a Badge and I can only carry a gun Openly" :quirky

TJ

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
have them ask a prosecuter and get back to you.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Well, since the Terre Haute Police Department answers to the Terre Haute mayor, why not write him a letter and ask why his police force is not properly trained? Or, would he prefer a civil rights lawsuit when his police arrest someone for open carrying?

Beau

imported post

Here in Indy I havn't had any problems yet. In fact the other day I was delivering to a home and the owner is a detective. We started talking about firearms and current events i.e. the president and the rising crime rate due to the economy. I mentioned that I mostly open carry and he didn't bat an eye. I really expected some type of negative remark against oc.

His last remark to me on guns was "better buy em while you still can".........

Brian D.

imported post

Just a historical question: Haven't Indiana's laws regarding legal carry of a firearm beensubstantially unchanged for 70 or 80 years now? The reasonI ask is that it seems mighty peculiar that, given this fact, any police agency in the state could be so far off in their understanding of the law.

This leads me to believe that the persons from Terre Haute PD answering the question was slingin' some bovine excrement when stating that open carry wasn't legal.

no carry permit ?

imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
This is precisely why the founders of this fine site have asked several times that people stop asking the police for legal advice.