• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Become a delegate

sjhipple

imported post

Most of you, I'm sure, know that State Senator Ken Cucinelli has been the best friend of Virginia gun owners in the Virginia senate. He is now running for Attorney General, and has two opponents, neither of which hold a candle to his record. This primary will be decided by delegates so the best thing you can do is become a delegate. The convention that will decide the nomination will take place June 6, 2009.

Go to Senator Cucinelli's website and sign up for updates so that they can help you through the easy process of becoming a delegate to help this friend of freedom become our next attorney general.

Let's show Virginia politicians how we reward those who stand behind us and fight for our rights.

--edit--

You can also donate to this VCDL-endorsed candidate here.

sjhipple

imported post

ed wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
the easy process of becoming a delegate
Ok.. so besides saying I will vote for him.. what does being a delagate entail? (I am a busy guy) :)

Well, at this point, you just need to sign up at the website and they'll let you know when you need to do the rest and help you through the process. The process is basically you print out a form, mail it in, and then vote for yourself at a local convention (voting takes about 5 minutes). Viola! You're now a delegate.

You then attend the state convention and vote for Cucinelli (and whoever else suits your fancy in the various state races) and enjoy being treated like someone important because hey, you're a delegate! Being a delegate is kind of neat because it might be the only time in your life when important people like governors and state legislators approach you and want to talk to you because you will decide who gets a chance at the job they want.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're welcome VB. I sent the inquiry in to Ken Cuccinelli also, but with it being a holiday weekend I don't expect to get a response until Tues/Wed. I'll let you know if I hear first.

sjhipple

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
You're welcome VB. I sent the inquiry in to Ken Cuccinelli also, but with it being a holiday weekend I don't expect to get a response until Tues/Wed. I'll let you know if I hear first.
Many conventions are held at schools. If this one is not, I'd say just do it and see what happens. You're among Republicans and you'll be a delegate s no one will want to annoy you.

G9M&P15

imported post

Does anyone know if there's an age restriction higher than 18 to be a delegate? I would be 19 at the time of the convention.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

What's Cucinelli's position on taxes, HRTA, and property rights? To many times gun owners become 1 issue voters. I was going to become a Ron Paul delegate last year. Went to two VA Beach GOP breakfasts open carrying and got flack both times.

G9M&P15

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
What's Cucinelli's position on taxes, HRTA, and property rights? To many times gun owners become 1 issue voters. I was going to become a Ron Paul delegate last year. Went to two VA Beach GOP breakfasts open carrying and got flack both times.
Here's some sample stuff off his site:

I believe that Liberty, as gifted to us by our Creator and preserved in our Constitution, means that our individual freedoms should be maximized and our lives should be as free of unnecessary constraints and restrictions as possible. Liberty is a cornerstone right that our founding fathers recognized as a guiding principle for the United States in our Declaration of Independence. Both the United States and Virginia Constitutions were written to permanently protect the right of individual citizens to own and use firearms for any lawful reason. I have a strong record of stopping legislation that infringes on our Constitutional rights and advancing sound bills that protect our freedoms. I’ve worked for the repeal of unreasonable restrictions on concealed carry permit holders in restaurants and for reciprocity between states that issue concealed carry permits. My legislation also stopped counties from requiring duplicative local background checks when purchasing a firearm.
I will continue to defend the rights of families to control the education of their children, including home school families. As a home school father, I am keenly aware of how government looms over loving parents as they try to do what’s best to bring up each of their children in the manner that is best for each child.

I believe that promoting public safety is the first responsibility of state government. Gang Violence: Gang activity is continuing to threaten many communities in Virginia. In 2004, I co-sponsored successful legislation which adds additional penalties for hazing of gang members – a normal part of gang recruitment and initiation. I also co-patroned successful legislation that creates an additional penalty for threatening a person with a machete. When we recognize gang-related behavior, we must act quickly to stop it before it escalates.
Sex Crimes: In 2006, I worked with the Attorney General’s office and my colleagues to reform our laws. My legislation improved our procedures for keeping our most violent and dangerous sexual predators detained in a manner consistent with the U.S. Supreme Court’s requirements. Now, violent offenders who cannot be rehabilitated can be incarcerated for mental health reasons even after their sentence is served, thereby keeping our children safer.
Identity Theft: Stolen identities are an increasingly serious problem in Virginia. In 2006, I sponsored legislation to give you greater control over your personal information.
Illegal Drugs: I was one of the chief sponsors of successful legislation that helps keep addictive “meth” off our streets. Abuse of this substance is devastating for abusers and their families and addiction to this drug often leads to committing other crimes.
Human Trafficking: In 2006, I sponsored successful legislation to close a loophole in Virginia law by making it a felony to blackmail someone based on their immigration status.

As a founding member of State Legislators for Legal Immigration, I am committed to passing legislation that removes the economic incentives that fuel illegal immigration. Legal immigrants began their story in the United States with respect for our laws. Illegal aliens have begun their history with us in an unlawful way. Those who choose to break additional laws by stealing identities, dealing drugs, joining criminal gangs, driving without a license or committing fraud must receive prompt justice.
In 2008, we passed legislation to ensure that the Commonwealth of Virginia and contractors doing business with the Commonwealth verify the legal status of all new employees.
I will work to maintain our policy of reserving in-state tuition at public colleges and universities for those who are citizens and legal residents of Virginia.
Most localities have rules about how many unrelated persons can live in the same house. In 2007, I passed legislation to allow counties and cities to investigate and penalize illegal boarding houses.
I have also supported legislation to require proof of identity when voting and to provide a means to remove non-citizens from the voter rolls.

In 2007, I led the passage of effective Eminent Domain Reform in Virginia. Our property rights protection went from being among the weakest in the country to being among the best. Even prior to the United States Supreme Court Decision in Kelo vs. New London, I knew Virginia had weak protections for property owners, that’s why I introduced legislation to keep government from exercising the eminent domain power just to benefit private entities, like developers. The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in the Kelo case effectively eliminated any protection of private property under the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, leaving all private property vulnerable to being taken by government – for any reason at all. Churches, homes, and private businesses should not be threatened without a legitimate public need.
The government’s eminent domain power shouldn’t be used to force individuals to accept below-market prices for their property – just so a private developer can build on it. I believe that exercise of the eminent domain power should be limited to traditional public uses such as schools, roads, jails, and utility easements. That’s what Virginia’s new law does and I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished to protect private property ownership in the Commonwealth. I will also continue to work for a Constitutional Amendment that will secure these private property protections for the long term.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:

What's HRTA?