• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - Need AR purchase help

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I have been wanting to get a 9mm ar-15 for a while because I will me able to shoot it at my local gun range. I am a little tight on money. So I cant spend 1500 dollars on one. The cheapest ar-15 I found was olympic arms. I was wondering if anyone knows a brand that might be cheaper. Thanks

MontanaCZ

imported post

Outside of an Oly, the only way to get it any cheaper is to build the lower and slap on an upper. You will have to do some research since they all do not use the same magazines. Oly has come a long way from where they were in the past.

-CZ

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
I have been wanting to get a 9mm ar-15 for a while because I will me able to shoot it at my local gun range. I am a little tight on money. So I cant spend 1500 dollars on one. The cheapest ar-15 I found was olympic arms. I was wondering if anyone knows a brand that might be cheaper. Thanks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99607566

Evil Ernie

imported post

Currently Century is making A2 full length AR's for around $500-600. Heavy chromelined barrels, colt uppers, Century lowers, etc. So far, reports from the field are really good for the price. Granted, they aren't a Bushmaster or a DPMS, but they will still put lead downrange.

Ask your local dealer/FFL about ordering you one directly from Century, or see if anyone in your area is stocking them.

Classic Arms is stocking them...Ben is a good guy too, I've bought a few things from him and they were always perfect.

http://www.classicarms.us/index.html

Scroll down a tad and you'll see them...right under the Hi Point carbine!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Aw crap, I just saw that you were looking for the 9mm style :quirky, but hey, the info is useful nonetheless...

Weak 9mm

imported post

Those century rifles look good. Bud's guns is selling the DPMS Panthercarbine with adjustable stock and A2 sightsfor $675 ($650 for an "optics ready" carbine) deliveredright now, it has an 11.5" BBL with a 4.5" flash suppressor. Those aren't bad ARs though!! AllDPMS ARs come with two 30 round mags, a nylon web sling and a cleaning kit too.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/793

The second and third ones down are the ones I was talking about. The last one on the list that's available is also a pretty good deal at $695.

The only problem I've seen with the 9mm carbines is that there aren't many magazines available for them. The bushmaster is the one I'd go with, but it's hard to find and it will cost you. You can find used Colt 9mm carbines too, but they're even more expensive. I don't know about the quality of Olympic arms ARs, but they use a modified sten magazine IIRC. I don't know how good those mags are, how much they costor how easy they are to find.

If you go to the right websites you can get .223 ammunition for a similar price to 9mm ammo. I love the 9mm, so I'm not sayingnot to get it, and I'vewanted one of these myself.If you want, send me a PM and I can show you some info on the cost of .223 ammo from certain places.

Other suggestions:

Beretta's CX4 storm might be an option, although it's not an AR obviously. I think it may be easier to find at a somewhatreasonable price and you'll be able to get magazines for it.

The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm is anice choice too if you can find one, as you can get itin a versionthat uses Glock magazines. I think they also come in versions compatible with S&W and Beretta mags IIRC. They're only about $300,and if you get the Glock mag version you can easily get 33 round 9mm Glock mags thatare forthe G18 and throw them in the Kel-Tec. I could only find a Kel-Tec in .40S&W, this one is $297 delivered and accepts Glock 22 mags:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/151/products_id/15228

Then at the low end of the spectrum is the Hi Point 9mm Carbine. It's only $200, and the warranty is insane from what I understand. They're reliable from everything I've heard, but they only have a 10rd mag, and I don't know if there are any upgrades available for them besides anATIstock that looks like the CX4 stock.