Thread: Question about campus carry

Post imported post

If I understand things correctly, an 'administrative rule' prohibits 'students' from carrying on thae campus, of say...U-Dub...but it does NOT apply to a non-student. Correct?

Since U-Dub is run by the state that would mean state preemption would hold sway (for non-students) and they (UW) would not be able to 'trespass' you from the grounds for carrying (in a legal manner). Correct?

So... what if one were to 'audit' a class?:celebrate

You're not a student, yet you're still 'in class'.

Post imported post

That sounds dicy at best. I would advise against it... that being said I am obviously no lawyer.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    Since U-Dub is run by the state that would mean state preemption would hold sway (for non-students) and they (UW) would not be able to 'trespass' you from the grounds for carrying (in a legal manner). Correct?
    I'm not sure I would go that far.Unless you want to be the guinia pig. I'm fairly certain they could trespass you and UW and Seattle police would enforce it.

Whether you would win in the long run I don't know, but I'm sure it would cost a few $$$ to find out.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    Phssthpok wrote:
    I'm not sure I would go that far.Unless you want to be the guinia pig. I'm fairly certain they could trespass you and UW and Seattle police would enforce it.

Whether you would win in the long run I don't know, but I'm sure it would cost a few $$$ to find out.
    I agree with this and will go a little further. They are not an entity covered in the pre-emption statute so I would guess that the trespass would be enforced and upheld by a court.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

<Shameless plug>
    Come and be part of the solution by supporting me as I give a speech advocating allowing guns on campus on June 5th, at 10:30 in Red Square.
    More info at the thread about the speech at: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/11067.html
    </shameless plug>

Post imported post

The UW has a general conduct code as well as student conduct code. The two are essentially the same wording, but the general conduct code is meant to apply to anyone on campus; it does prohibit carrying on campus and does not have a "legally and constiutionally guaranteed rights" exception.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.a...te=478-120-020

Post imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
    The UW has a general conduct code as well as student conduct code. The two are essentially the same wording, but the general conduct code is meant to apply to anyone on campus; it does prohibit carrying on campus and does not have a "legally and constiutionally guaranteed rights" exception.

The title of 478-120 is "Student Conduct code for the University of Washington". This implies that the entire 478-120 section is intended for students only.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:

The title of 478-120 is "Student Conduct code for the University of Washington". This implies that the entire 478-120 section is intended for students only.
    You are correct, joeroket; WAC 478-120 is the student conduct code. What I meant to cite was WAC 478-124 "General conduct code...", and particularly pertinent to this discussion, WAC 478-124-020.

Post imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:

You are correct, joeroket; WAC 478-120 is the student conduct code. What I meant to cite was WAC 478-124 "General conduct code...", and particularly pertinent to this discussion, WAC 478-124-020.
    Fortunately the sanctions spell out that you may be requested to leave the UW property which goes back to what we have always said; They can't charge us with anything for carrying but they may ask us to leave the property.