• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about campus carry

Phssthpok

imported post

If I understand things correctly, an 'administrative rule' prohibits 'students' from carrying on thae campus, of say...U-Dub...but it does NOT apply to a non-student. Correct?

Since U-Dub is run by the state that would mean state preemption would hold sway (for non-students) and they (UW) would not be able to 'trespass' you from the grounds for carrying (in a legal manner). Correct?

So... what if one were to 'audit' a class?:celebrate

You're not a student, yet you're still 'in class'.:lol:

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Since U-Dub is run by the state that would mean state preemption would hold sway (for non-students) and they (UW) would not be able to 'trespass' you from the grounds for carrying (in a legal manner). Correct?

I'm not sure I would go that far.Unless you want to be the guinia pig. I'm fairly certain they could trespass you and UW and Seattle police would enforce it.

Whether you would win in the long run I don't know, but I'm sure it would cost a few $$$ to find out.

joeroket

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:

I'm not sure I would go that far.Unless you want to be the guinia pig. I'm fairly certain they could trespass you and UW and Seattle police would enforce it.

Whether you would win in the long run I don't know, but I'm sure it would cost a few $$$ to find out.
I agree with this and will go a little further. They are not an entity covered in the pre-emption statute so I would guess that the trespass would be enforced and upheld by a court.

carhas0

imported post

The UW has a general conduct code as well as student conduct code. The two are essentially the same wording, but the general conduct code is meant to apply to anyone on campus; it does prohibit carrying on campus and does not have a "legally and constiutionally guaranteed rights" exception.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=478-120-020

joeroket

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
The UW has a general conduct code as well as student conduct code. The two are essentially the same wording, but the general conduct code is meant to apply to anyone on campus; it does prohibit carrying on campus and does not have a "legally and constiutionally guaranteed rights" exception.

The title of 478-120 is "Student Conduct code for the University of Washington". This implies that the entire 478-120 section is intended for students only.

carhas0

imported post

joeroket wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:

The title of 478-120 is "Student Conduct code for the University of Washington". This implies that the entire 478-120 section is intended for students only.
You are correct, joeroket; WAC 478-120 is the student conduct code. What I meant to cite was WAC 478-124 "General conduct code...", and particularly pertinent to this discussion, WAC 478-124-020.

joeroket

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:

You are correct, joeroket; WAC 478-120 is the student conduct code. What I meant to cite was WAC 478-124 "General conduct code...", and particularly pertinent to this discussion, WAC 478-124-020.
Fortunately the sanctions spell out that you may be requested to leave the UW property which goes back to what we have always said; They can't charge us with anything for carrying but they may ask us to leave the property.