• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOLY CRAP!

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
The AM/PM that I go to pretty much every day, got robbed at gunpoint about a half hour ago. Lobby full of customers, and in broad daylight...
OK, so what would you have done if you were there?

Assume the bad guy does not notice your weapon and sticks the gun in the clerks face, what do you do?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hear ya dude. Didn't mean to cause any irritation. Just one of those nasty scenarios none of us ever want to encounter, but one we owe it to ourselves to think through while of clear mind.

DocNTexas

imported post

timf343 wrote:
OK, so what would you have done if you were there?

Assume the bad guy does not notice your weapon and sticks the gun in the clerks face, what do you do?

Evaluate the situation and react accordingly. :)

One cannot arbitrarily say what they would do until actually faced with the situation. Every situation must be weighed on the particular merits at the time, i.e. how imminent is the threat; what is the risk of action;what is the BG'sframe of mind; what is your frame of mind; position and number of bystanders, kids, etc., all of this and more must beevaluated to some degreein order to make the best decision on howto react. In some cases the best action is no action and in others it is optimal to to take immediate and very aggressive action. While it is imposable to fully plan out your actions ahead of time,I agree that one should continuously think about possible scenarios and possible reactions.

By visualizing possible scenarios and planning ahead, you develop anarsenal of ideas to draw on when faced with such a situation. By contemplating scenarios ahead of time, you are already accustom to checking the surrounding and thinking through such situations and it will make it easier to do if you are ever faced with thereal thing. I do this on a daily basis. No matter where I go I look for possible trouble spots and consider possible scenarios that I might encounter and how I might deal with them. In doing so, I find myself instinctively positioning myself where I can see my surrounding best and where I have thebest vantage point. I don't allow people to stand directly behind me and I am constantly reevaluating conditions.

Some people call this game playing, others might consider it a bitparanoid, but I consider it as doing my best to be prepared and to make it as hard as I can for someone to make me a victim.

Doc

Loneviking

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
The AM/PM that I go to pretty much every day, got robbed at gunpoint about a half hour ago. Lobby full of customers, and in broad daylight...

Life really hits home when something like this happens. A little carneceria' that I shop at often was robbed in broad daylight by a couple of little punks. They didn't get what they wanted fast enough and smashed the cashiers face into the register. The owner came out with a knife and they told him to mind his own business.

Events like this bring home the reason why you should carry all the time.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Hear ya dude. Didn't mean to cause any irritation. Just one of those nasty scenarios none of us ever want to encounter, but one we owe it to ourselves to think through while of clear mind.

Here is the deal... and you can interpret this however you see fit.

I would not INVITE someone to MY gunfight.

Read the above sentance very carefully and you should understand what I mean. Lets say I'm standing at the back of the store by the cooler choosing what soda-pop to purchase... I'll give you that much.

calmp9

imported post

I hate when this happens. I hope that nobody got hurt or killed. Make sure you're packing and be safe.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Sorry to hear.

Sounds like you live in an EXCITING area.

Remember when I was down there and we were gonna got that fast food place just by your apartment and I said let's go somewhere else and we came back to drop you off and the place had been robbed:shock:.

TJ

calmp9

imported post

I don't know the Las Vegas area too well. While it's important to keep alert at all times, which areas are considered to be the bad ones?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Sorry to hear.

Sounds like you live in an EXCITING area.

Remember when I was down there and we were gonna got that fast food place just by your apartment and I said let's go somewhere else and we came back to drop you off and the place had been robbed:shock:.

TJ

yeah... I could throw a rock and hit that place from my apt... and I live in what is refered to as the 'better' part of town.

calmp9

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
calmp9 wrote:
I don't know the Las Vegas area too well. While it's important to keep alert at all times, which areas are considered to be the bad ones?
If you're driving and the street signs go from being green to being blue, turn the **** around because you just entered the ghetto.

Summerlin, which has multi-million dollar homes is the #1 area for home invasions

North Las Vegas (or Las Vegas Proper) is worse than Compton and has an influx of 4000 new residents a MONTH.

Henderson (also called hendertucky) looks nice, but the Mexican gangs ruin it. very bad crime

Then there is Green Valley where I live. Mostly quite, until recently.

Thanks for the information. Many times, the most affluent areas are the worst. Even though the drive is long from Santa Cruz County, I often drive because it's an easy drive.

Loneviking

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
calmp9 wrote:
If you're driving and the street signs go from being green to being blue, turn the **** around because you just entered the ghetto.

Summerlin, which has multi-million dollar homes is the #1 area for home invasions

North Las Vegas (or Las Vegas Proper) is worse than Compton and has an influx of 4000 new residents a MONTH.

Henderson (also called hendertucky) looks nice, but the Mexican gangs ruin it. very bad crime

Then there is Green Valley where I live. Mostly quite, until recently.
I'll never forget coming into North Las Vegas in 2002. My family and I had been living in Ohio for seven years, and I hadn't been to Las Vegas since about 1995 when things weren't so bad at all.

Anyway, I'm driving a Penske 25 footer and stop at a truckstop in North Las Vegas. By the time I shut the engine off and get out of the truck, there are two armed security guards standing by the rig looking at me! Turns out a lot of small trucks get jacked and they had had a Penske like mine jacked out of the parking lot the day before. So, they were nice guys and told me what parts of town to avoid and where there was a safe hotel up by the air base that I could get the rig in and out of. I just couldn't get over how bad things had gotten in such a short period of time!

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I've had old ladies here in Vegas express to me how glad they are "that there are responsible young lads willing to defend defensless citizens againt bad guys.." Makes my day every time. Or on those odd days where they don't see my gun and say "where's your gun? bad guys arent gunna wait for you to run and get it..."

calmp9

imported post

That reminds me of the stories the truck drivers used to tell me going to the Hunt's Point Terminal in New York. Some told me that robbers cut the trailor locks and raided the trucks while at a stop light.

Unbelievable!