• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Lacey Walmart

jarhead1911A

imported post

So tonight my wife and I go into the Lacey walmart to grab a few things and yes we were OCing. We were drawn into convo with a younger and very tattooed couple from Longbeach who wanted to know about OCing in public.

About 30 minutes into it i was approched by one of the stores manager who asked me if i was a cop. I said no why? He informed me that walmarts rules forbid me from carrying a weapon in the store and he asked me to leave.

Now keep in mind i was very polite and i asked him if he had ever heard of Opencarry.org? He said no and asked what it was....

So after explaining to him that walmart corperate said they will mirror state law and what i was doing was completely legal he asked me if i had a CWP and then asked to see it.

I handed him the permit with my license and i told him that i would get him the law so he could better educate his employee's as to what is acceptable by corp and the law.

I then said that i would conceal my weapon but leaving would not happen until i was done with my shopping. I also explained that it might be to quick to ask someone to leave without checking with corp and state law as business's who do not support the law get put on a do not patrinize list and us OC'ers will shop else were and there are alot of us in the state.

I also explained that i shop at walmart on a regular basis in tacoma and federal way and i have NEVER been asked to leave or hide my weapon. He then rethought his sitution and asked me to bring in the info so he could correct any miss understanding there might be.

So in the end i was waiting to run into Lacey PD but they never showed up and i will bring him the info sunday when i am back down in lacey, I hope i handled that well it was my first contact from anyone over my OCing:banghead:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Cool! Well handled and done! Welcome to the board BTW.

I haven't OC'd in the Lacey WM because I work there as a vendor sometimes, so can't create any problems as a customer...

I imagine once you set them straight though, things will be just fine.

You should stop in at Sportsman's Warehouse when you come to Lacey again as well. They are hosting the Gun Rights Pamphlet, and know OC is legal. Plus the manager there is a top notch fellow.

If I wasn't working Sunday I would try and meet up with you for coffee.

Good work at WM!

jarhead1911A

imported post

Hey thanks man,

Its funny i have been OCing for awhile and i get looks but no one ever stoped me to ask till tonight and i was kind of suprised, but i can sleep well knowing that i have swayed someone with good knowledge.

Ya id love to grab some coffee sometime and OC i will take a crack at Larrys guns next time i am in town as i know him pritty well and a guy used to be able to OC in his shop so something must have happened in order for him to ban it.

I am more than happy to take suggestions as to what other business's dont let you OC and i will let them know that its in there best intrest to allow it so just send me the idea's

Machoduck

imported post

Nice job jarhead!

Any time we can educate someone about WA gun law it's a victory, no matter how small it may seem. From time to time we run into people who just can't be educated. If or when you do, just take it in stride. It sounds as though this manager was willing to listen. which is wonderful. It's much better when you don't have to threaten them with calling Mecca, aka Bentonville.

Glad to have you aboard.

MD

Trigger Dr

imported post

I was not going to mention this as I considered it a non event. I was in the Port Orchard Wal Mart oc with wife. After check out, the cashier (customer service mgr) said Jim, is that real? and pointed to my .44 spec. I affirmed that it was, and she said technically it's not allowed in here. I said as soon as you finish with the next customer, I will share something with you.

Next customer left without any inkling of anything. I explained RCW and that corporate said they mirrored State law. I pulled out my cell phone and brought up the corporate phone number, and said you can call corporate and speak with Jason Schmidt if you want clarification. She said "Oh... you have already spoke with them?"

I gave her a pamphlet which she said would be explained to all employees including mgmt.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

It's funny that you mention that...

I've OC'ed there about 3x a week for the past 8 months without a word...

A few nights ago, I was approached by a female manager and said she knew I could carry openly, but some of her employees were getting a bit uncomfortable, I told her that it would be a perfect time to educate her employees on the legality of open carry, but she dismissed it, and again politely asked me to conceal... I didn't get into it with her because I just wanted to leave..

I'm thinking you ran into Mike, which is the night stock manager... I'm gonna be headed over there in a few minutes to grab some stuff.... We'll see how things go...

CORPORATE policy for Wal-Mart is to abide by state law.. Where OC is legal, Wallymart allows it.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I was not going to mention this as I considered it a non event. I was in the Port Orchard Wal Mart oc with wife. After check out, the cashier (customer service mgr) said Jim, is that real? and pointed to my .44 spec. I affirmed that it was, and she said technically it's not allowed in here. I said as soon as you finish with the next customer, I will share something with you.

Next customer left without any inkling of anything. I explained RCW and that corporate said they mirrored State law. I pulled out my cell phone and brought up the corporate phone number, and said you can call corporate and speak with Jason Schmidt if you want clarification. She said "Oh... you have already spoke with them?"

I gave her a pamphlet which she said would be explained to all employees including mgmt.

Can you Please Post Jason Schmidt's ph #, that is a VERY good # to have handy althought I haven't had any problems yet.

Thank you,

TJ

Guest1650

imported post

Sorry for this thread jack. But...

Walmart in chehalis is very strict. they told me that i needed to conceal it. I did without any arguments, as i have a family member that works there. I didnt have a pamphlet on hand, (in the car). either way, i was on my way out anyhow. I'm going back today, OC'ing. and ill set things straight.

The problem with lewis co. is Not enough people pass through here OC'. So they automatically assume.. GUN=BAD. =POLICE.. i havnt been called on yet..*that i know of*. but.. I do know that if i was. It's handy to have the security chief's number!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Different Store but here is the number to Harmons Corp Security Chief, Steve Barrett. 801-968-3570. (Harmons Corp Office # 8019698261)

joeroket

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
A few nights ago, I was approached by a female manager and said she knew I could carry openly, but some of her employees were getting a bit uncomfortable,
From their 1999 Annual Report to shareholders, "WHO’S NO.1? THE CUSTOMER!"

Maybe things have changed in the last nine years!
That may very well be because Sam Walton has passed away in 92 and it has taken that long for the change to get through all the managers and employees. He would be turning over in his grave because of the way they treat customers now-a-days.