• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - Gun rust

UTOC-45-44

imported post

...I saw some rust starting happening on my Pistol and I got a little bit worried. That's when I needed to completely dissassemble it. But tillI needed a quicker solution.

I called SGJensen and he said....WD-40. And I said :shock:.

I did it and....WONDERS. The pistol has never been this clean.

Do you guys and girls have any other tricks like this up your sleeves ???

TJ

imperialism2024

imported post

You haven't discovered WD-40 before???

:shock:

WD-40 is to lubricating and de-rusting as duct tape is to holding things together.

Once I fired a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with lots of corrosive ammo, then left it in a humid basement for a month without cleaning it. WD-40 just dissolved the rust and it flowed out of the barrel. I had used it before, but this amazed me.

I've heard that WD-40 can be corrosive to some finishes, though.

41 Magnum

imported post

I always keep a small can of wd-40 with me when I'm out in the sticks. Works well if you gun ends up in the creek, or gets rained on. However-

DO NOT use it for anything other than a quick, field expedient clean-up.It's good to get you back in the competition/back on the hunt until you can give the gun a PROPER clean and lube.

If you leave it on the gun longer than a couple weeks, it dries out and gums up really bad.

41 Magnum

imported post

Forgot one other thing-

As it dries out and becomes sticky, it turns into the best dust/dirt/grit magnet you've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's many uses, but "firearm lubricant" isn't one of them.

Here's a good rule of thumb on proper lubricant use onguns:

If it slides- grease it.

If it rotates- oil it.

thx997303

imported post

You need to keep your WD-40 away from your ammunition, it can cause rounds to not fire or hang fires. Not a good firearm lubricant.

thx997303

imported post

I wasn't talking aobut the primers, note that the rounds he was using had sealed primers as most do, and he only put the oil on the primer, I was talking about the oil getting tothe powder, as most rounds don't have sealant around their crimp. if oil got to the powder, you would have the problems that I mentioned.

Maybe someone should try to get him to submerge the rounds in those oils.

LEO 229

imported post

I am betting you can probably soak bullets in water and they will still shoot.

That round it sealed pretty tight in the casing andtheair pressure inside must escape to allow water in and take its place.

But what do I know.... I have no experience in this area. :D

possumboy

imported post

I keep a product called Basic-H. It is a cleaner, but acts has a good lubricant undiluted.

I just get a little 2 oz bottle and apply.

It is completely bio-degradable and holds up great. I've been using it for about 4 years now without any problems.

It also has the advantage of not smelling and doesn't cause my daughter to have an asthma attack.

The only rust I have ever had was when my kids poured water into my gun safe while I was away on travel.

I also use Basic-H to clean my house. ;)

Michigander

imported post

Try it yourself you guys if you want to test the primers and powder. Take a good factory round, and put it in a bottle of motor oil or something. Oil destroys gun powder better than anything else besides blowing it up. You'll find that the primer pocket was sealed with a sealing compound, and that the bullet is crimped well enough to be air and liquid tight. You WILL NOT get a good round to fail to fire with oil.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
...I saw some rust starting happening on my Pistol and I got a little bit worried. That's when I needed to completely dissassemble it. But tillI needed a quicker solution.

I called SGJensen and he said....WD-40. And I said :shock:.

I did it and....WONDERS. The pistol has never been this clean.

Do you guys and girls have any other tricks like this up your sleeves ???

TJ
Yeah, whatever $2.50 high temp grease you can find in the autoparts section of walmart.

thx997303

imported post

I will try this but again with WD40 and others like that. that sealer is not resistant to these chemicals from what I have seen.

ODA 226

imported post

Try Marvel Mystery Oil. It works great in all environments (I've used it everywhere from Alaska to Iraq), protects your weapon and doesn't attract dust bunnies and other gunk. It's cheap too!

thx997303

imported post

Ok I'll try it on the ammo.

If I do this test and I get a really weak load and have a bullet jammed in my barrel, you guys are getting it out.:D