• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock,S&W Le guns

jarhead1911A

imported post

So i go into a local gun store today and i fell in love with a XD and was then informed that i could NOT buy the gun because it is a "LE" model and ONLY active duty military and police can get it.....

so this puts me into a stage of P/O i have never been, After i realized that arguing with the gun store owner was useless i went and wrote a very nasty letter to S&W and CC'd a copy to GLOCK as well.

I stated in the letter that not allowing Vets to get the LE model was not only wrong it would look poorly on the company for saying that they do not support the vets and i threatened to goto every VFW hall in the state and get anyone who would listen to boycott both companies for there lack of respect and appriciation.

Well 4 days later i figured i would get a letter back and it would say that they would not change the policy and to go jump in a lake.

WELL i got a Email back and low and behold not only did i get a heart felt appoligy but i also got a thank you for serving my country... I got the policy changed... Its amazing what you can do if your mad enough.............

I know this isnt exactly OC material but i know there is alot of Vets on here and i figured it wasnt a bad thing to let people know.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
So i go into a local gun store today and i fell in love with a XD and was then informed that i could NOT buy the gun because it is a "LE" model and ONLY active duty military and police can get it.....

so this puts me into a stage of  P/O i have never been, After i realized that arguing with the gun store owner was useless i went and wrote a very nasty letter to S&W and CC'd a copy to GLOCK as well.

I stated in the letter that not allowing Vets to get the LE model was not only wrong it would look poorly on the company for saying that they do not support the vets and i threatened to goto every VFW hall in the state and get anyone who would listen to boycott both companies for there lack of respect and appriciation.

Well 4 days later i figured i would get a letter back and it would say that they would not change the policy and to go jump in a lake.

WELL i got a Email back and low and behold not only did i get a heart felt appoligy but i also got a thank you for serving my country... I got the policy changed... Its amazing what you can do if your mad enough.............

I know this isnt exactly OC material but i know there is alot of Vets on here and i figured it wasnt a bad thing to let people know.

Sounds more like a moron shopkeeper.

'LE/mil only guns' are usually restricted as such because of state laws restricting magazine size, which WA doesn't have...

I've never seen a situation, other than above, where a gun was 'LE only'.

surfj9009

imported post

Did you write s&w or Springfield armory? Springfield makes the xd, not s&w. I'm confused. Which company responded back to you?

dlnwoody

imported post

I have to agree with techno weenie. I have two XD (9, 40). One was bought in florida and one here. Nothing was said it was a mil or le gun. XD offers a discount to mil, le, and a couple of other org. What shop did you go to.

Guest1650

imported post

I have a higher capacity mag. for my 40.S&W beretta. it's labeled right on the side ' For law enforcement, and government use only'

But as far as i know, state law doesnt exactly mirror, or require that.

in most cases, a civilian can purchas or own, almost any weapon that law, or gov. can own. they tried pitching me that crap when i purchased my 'M-4.i just took my business elsewhere , and only paid 800 anyways!:cool:

bottom line is..*in most cases, if they sell it, you can purchase it*

Trigger Dr

imported post

For law enforcement, and government use only' ...was required when the ban on HiCap mags and "assault" weapons was in effect. these mags are "left overs" from then, and that has no effect on most states. Some states ,ie Californicate, retained that ban.
I sell all models that are available and there is no restriction for LEO or Military only, as long as the gun meets the requirements for legal possession. In Wash. that means no full auto or burst capability, or being classed as Class III, etc.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

In this state it don't matter what it is stamped, as long it is a legal firearm (i.e., not NFA) then you are good to go.

Some distributors may have had sales restrictions imposed on them, but that seems doubtful as the market to private citizens is huge, so why limit a legal gun?

joeroket

imported post

Sig Sauer, I have heard, used to produce a pistol that they would only let thier distrubutors sell to LE or Military. I don't know if they still do that but they have in the past. Hell I am not even sure what the difference between the LE model and the civilian model was.

Mainsail

imported post

My understanding of the LE/Military guns is that the distributor gets them at a discounted price and sells them to the dealer at a discounted price. They are segregated from the rest of the guns and offered only to the intended customers. It has nothing to do with magazine capacity.

EOD

imported post

This is true. Just picked up a G26 at the discount.

So do vets now qualify for the discount too?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
My understanding of the LE/Military guns is that the distributor gets them at a discounted price and sells them to the dealer at a discounted price. They are segregated from the rest of the guns and offered only to the intended customers. It has nothing to do with magazine capacity.
Exactly. Its about the price, not anything else. I've found its usually about 15-18% less than the civilian price on the same gun at the same shop. e.g. LE/Mil GLOCK 19, $419, regular civiG19, $499.

jarhead1911A

imported post

as far as i know Vets get the discount or atleast last i heard they were modifying the program to accept Vets but i guess they just didnt want to get run over by the bus.

surfj9009

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
:) My Glock19 holds 15 rounds.

XD's are shit.
really? Hmmmmm. My XD-40 just passed 4,000 rounds and I have never had a FTE, stovepipe or anything like that. And it still shoots perfectly. I would like to hear your reasons for such a broad and bold statement.
Or maybe your just another die hard Glock person? Tell me, why are they shit?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

XD's are shit.
Why don't you go back to Nevada and leave the Washington forum alone or did they run your ass out of there for always being wrong?. Your mis-information is not only tiring but not needed by anyone here.
rolleyes.gif

jarhead1911A

imported post

Does it really matter who carries what? I own alot of high end guns and my favorite is cheap ugly and heavy. Yup its a Hi point .45

Its the best shooting gun i have ever owned well next to my M4 but thats a diffrent subject.

If ya have to gun bash then atleast make an inteligent arguement and discuss it not post dumb comments we are all here for the same reasons and gun bashing isnt one of them....

EOD

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Exactly. Its about the price, not anything else. I've found its usually about 15-18% less than the civilian price on the same gun at the same shop. e.g. LE/Mil GLOCK 19, $419, regular civiG19, $499.

In Spokane at GW sales it is 399 for a fixed sight standard pistol (17,22,19,23,26,27, etc)

Add Glock NS takes it to 456

Add Trijicon's takes is to 474

If I recall correctly, the biguns, (ie 20,21) are a couple bucks more.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

XD's are shit.

Actually, your G19 holds 16 rounds, if you're man enough to carry it the way Gaston intended. And while XD's certainly aren't my favorite guns, there are a score of guns closer to the top of my $%it list than the XD's. I did like them better when they were calledthe HS2000, and were $250 NIB. My brother in law carries the XD40SC that I got on an employee purchase plan and he's never had a problem with it. Again, not my choice, but to make a broad statement that one of the most succesfully marketed (and selling) line of pistols in history is crap. . . .well, sounds like you don't know enough to know when your opinion begins to sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

As an instructor, I once used an XD9 (4" Service model) to teach a 60lb, 8-year-old girl to shoot pistol, after she had mastered handling a.22 pistol. The XD fits hands from very large to very small, and the 9mm models recoilvery little, due to the low bore axis and the overall handling characteristics. Oh, and the 8-year-old was shooting 1-second split, rapid fire strings, keeping everything in the black @ 10yds by the end of our session (and having a blast doing it, too). Not bad for a "$hi& gun."