• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police - Memorial Day: Remembering All Who Protect And Serve

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Sarah Brady
If you have yet to visit the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, I encourage you make it part of your plans on your next trip to Washington, D.C.

Dedicated by President George H.W. Bush in October 1991, this memorial provides an experience as solemn and moving as visiting any of the other, better-known monuments here in the nation's capital.

Having been responsible for the police department of Indiana's second-largest city during my 12 years as mayor of Fort Wayne, I was particularly moved by seeing the names of over 14,000 police officers killed in the line of duty - officers who took it upon themselves to protect and serve communities all across America. A few of these names from my hometown were well-known by me personally.

On Thursday, May 15, I had the honor of laying a wreath at the Memorial during National Police Week in my capacity as President of the Brady Campaign.

I laid the wreath by the name of Senior Corporal Mark Nix. Corporal Nix served the people of Dallas, Texas as a police officer for seven years, until someone shot and killed him with a military-style semiautomatic assault weapon. (You can read more about his tragic murder here.)

Corporal Nix was engaged to be married, was a brother and a son, and was a veteran of Operation Desert Storm where he served with distinction in the U.S. Navy.

Now, his name is engraved on the Memorial Wall with 14,000 of his brothers and sisters in uniform who gave their lives to protect ours.

This Memorial Day weekend, as we remember our men and women in uniform serving around the world in our armed services, I encourage you also to remember those who serve in our local law enforcement agencies.

They put their lives on the line every day, and every day they have to deal with a criminal element armed with weapons of ever-greater firepower.

We can do something about the challenges faced by our local men and women in uniform. We can adopt policies to make it harder for dangerous people to get their hands on dangerous weapons - doing things like requiring background checks for all gun sales, and restricting easy access to military-style weaponry.

Our law enforcement representatives work hard every day to protect us in America. We should do more to protect them.
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helv]Uhhh, no. MEMORIAL DAY is not about fallen police officers, honorable though they be, but commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country.

It is this ignorant conflation of public service and military service that allows and has led to the paramilitarization of our police forces and here advanced by Sarah Brady's sockpuppet.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
[/font]

imperialism2024

imported post

That is quite sickening. Not to mention that the lump of scum who wrote that is in fact disgracing the LEOs he says he wants to commemorate, by exploiting their deaths to push a political agenda. Would it have been any less tragic if those LEOs who died in the line of duty had been shot by bolt-action rifles? Or if they had been bludgeoned to death with a blunt object?

Huck

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
That is quite sickening. Not to mention that the lump of scum who wrote that is in fact disgracing the LEOs he says he wants to commemorate, by exploiting their deaths to push a political agenda.
That's standard operating procedure for the brady bunch.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helv]Uhhh, no. MEMORIAL DAY is not about fallen police officers, honorable though they be, but commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country.

It is this ignorant conflation of public service and military service that allows and has led to the paramilitarization of our police forces and here advanced by Sarah Brady's sockpuppet.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
[/font]
Sarah Brady Says: "This Memorial Day weekend, as we remember our men and women in uniform serving around the world in our armed services, I encourage you also to remember those who serve in our local law enforcement agencies. "

Doug, sorry that President Kennedy happened to designateMay 15th asNational Peace Officers Memorial Day, and the week containing May 15 to beNational Police Week.

President John F. Kennedy signed Public Law 87-726 on October 1, 1962 and President Bill Clinton signed Public Law 103-322.

Public Law 87-726, signed by President John F. Kennedy in 1962, was amended by the 103rd Congress as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. President Bill Clinton signed Public Law 103-322 which directs that the flag of the United States on all Government buildings be displayed at half-staff on May 15, National Peace Officers' Memorial Day.

So the month of May actually has two memorial days for the people to remember those that have served and died.

One being law enforcement on the 15thand the other being the last Monday of the month for the military.

Because the two fall in the same month many people see the month of May, as a whole, to be a memorial day for both law enforcement and the military.

Sheriff

imported post

I think a police memorial of any type, no matter where the location, should honor and list those who truly died a hero. Many officer deaths lately are a result of an officer's own mistakes. Here's just a few of the most recent this year alone:

Deputy Sheriff James Throne
Kern County Sheriff's Department
California

End of Watch: Friday, May 23, 2008

Deputy James Throne was killed when his patrol car collided with another patrol car as they were responding to back up deputies involved in a foot chase.

Special Agent Aaron Garcia

Union Pacific Railroad Police Department
Railroad Police
End of Watch: Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Special Agent Aaron Garcia was killed in a single vehicle accident on Highway 111 in Mecca, California, while on patrol.

Deputy Sheriff Robert Griffin
Decatur County Sheriff's Office
Georgia

End of Watch: Thursday, May 1, 2008

His patrol car left the roadway on Brinson Airbase Road and struck a large tree on the vehicle's driver's side.

Border Patrol Agent Jarod Dittman
United States Department of Homeland Security - Customs and Border Protection - Border Patrol
U.S. Government

End of Watch: Sunday, March 30, 2008

Border Patrol Agent Jarod Dittman was killed in an automobile accident while en route to his patrol area in Jamul, California, at approximately 1:00 am.

Another Border Patrol agent came across the single vehicle accident on Otay Lakes Road, near State Route 94.

Police Officer James D. Fezatte
Millbrook Police Department
Alabama

End of Watch: Saturday, March 29, 2008

His patrol car left the roadway during a period of heavy rain and struck a tree on Main Street.

Special Agent Robert Patrick Flickinger
Chickasaw Lighthorse Police Department
Tribal Police

End of Watch: Friday, March 7, 2008

Special Agent Robert Flickinger was killed when his department vehicle was struck head-on as he tried to pass a vehicle.

Trooper Kara M. Kelly-Borgognone
Nevada Highway Patrol
Nevada

End of Watch: Thursday, February 28, 2008

Trooper Kara Kelly-Borgognone succumbed to injuries sustained four days earlier while responding to a call involving a possible bomb at a local gas station in Spanish Springs.

Her patrol car collided with another vehicle during the response.

Police Officer Mark Beck
Baton Rouge City Police Department
Louisiana

End of Watch: Monday, February 25, 2008

Officer Mark Beck was killed in an automobile accident on US 61 when his patrol car collided with a tractor trailer.

The truck had come to a stop at a railroad crossing, as required by law, when Officer Beck's patrol car struck the rear of the truck.

Lance Corporal James D. Haynes
South Carolina Highway Patrol
South Carolina

End of Watch: Friday, February 1, 2008

Lance Corporal James Haynes was killed in an automobile accident on Highway 33 while responding to another accident that had occurred on I-26 in Orangeburg County at approximately 3:30 am.

His vehicle left the roadway and struck a utility pole as he responded to the call.

Trooper Daniel Roy Barrett
Indiana State Police
Indiana

End of Watch: Sunday, January 27, 2008

While attempting to catch up to a speeding motorist at approximately 2245 hours, his patrol car left the roadway and struck a tree on the driver's door, causing him to suffer fatal injuries.

Police Officer Matthew B. Thebeau
Corpus Christi Police Department
Texas

End of Watch: Sunday, January 20, 2008

Officer Thebeau's patrol car struck a concrete wall and straddled the barrier for approximately 50 yards until it impacted an I-beam supporting a highway sign. He was ejected from the patrol car and then struck by another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction.

Sheriff

imported post

Hypothetical situation.... here's an officer who would have no business with her name listed on a police memorial had she killed herself behind the wheel of a partrol car. If you watch the video from her own own dash cam you see how reckless she is driving, worse than a drunk driver. When her commanding officer catches up with her, pulls her over, and confronts her about her driving and the damge to her patrol car... she denies hitting anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx_6RnamTys

She has been fired and is now charged with prescription fraud.

http://www.badcopnews.com/2008/05/24/previously-fired-after-crashing-patrol-car-into-mailboxes-and-parked-cars-on-christmas-day-former-palm-beach-florida-police-officer-molly-olson-arrested-charged-with-prescription-fraud-wanted-job/

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I think a police memorial of any type, no matter where the location, should honor and list those who truly died a hero. Many officer deaths lately are a result of an officer's own mistakes. Here's just a few of the most recent this year alone:

<snip>
Ok, so there are some people who had accidents. Stuff happens. Does that lessen the death any? What about cops who died in accidents while responding? Surely that must count for something in your book?

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know, maybe responders. Normal traffic accident - I don't see it. We had people in Iraq go souvenir hunting after being ordered not to do so. Their HUMMVEE hit a cluster bomblet and two of them got tiny scratches. The captain who was riding with them tried to get them Purple Hearts.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

..Snipped

Granted... many people are involved in accidents due to poor judgement. The police rack up some miles each year. I easily rack up 20,000 miles a year in my cruiser alone where the average citizen gets about 7,000 in their personal vehicle. The law of averages come into play that a few will be due to human error. But many are for other reasons.

The police work in all weather conditions and many accidents will happen in the rain, snow, and ice. When you are responding to a call or going after a bad guy you will be driving a little faster. Officers work some long hours too and fatigue can set in plus animals in the roadway cause you to swerve so this can allcontribute to the crash totals.

The examples below do now provide enough details to determine why the accident happened.Shouldthey not be honored if there is a chance the collision was their fault?

Most collisions happen when the officer is headed to a call or to back someone. They are headed to danger or to help protect the lives of another. They drive too fast for conditions and cops know this. They are supposed to drive to get there. Better to be late than not show up at all.

[line]

End of Watch: Friday, May 23, 2008
killedresponding to back up deputies involved in a foot chase.

End of Watch: Wednesday, May 7, 2008
killed in a single vehicle accident.

End of Watch: Thursday, May 1, 2008
killed when his patrol car left the roadwayand struck a large tree.

End of Watch: Sunday, March 30, 2008
killed in an automobile accident.

End of Watch: Saturday, March 29, 2008
Killed when his patrol car left the roadway during a period of heavy rain and struck a tree.

End of Watch: Friday, March 7, 2008
killed when hisvehicle was struck head-on as he tried to pass a vehicle.

End of Watch: Thursday, February 28, 2008
succumbed to injuriessustained while responding to a call involving a possible bomb at a gas station.

End of Watch: Monday, February 25, 2008
killed in an automobile accidentwhen his patrol car collided with a tractor trailer that had come to a stop at a railroad crossing.

End of Watch: Friday, February 1, 2008
killedwhile responding to another accident whenhis vehicle left the roadway and struck a utility pole.

End of Watch: Sunday, January 27, 2008
Killed while attempting to catch up to a speeding motorist. His patrol car left the roadway and struck a tree.

End of Watch: Sunday, January 20, 2008
Killed after hispatrol car struck a concrete wall.

LEO 229

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
I don't know, maybe responders. Normal traffic accident - I don't see it. We had people in Iraq go souvenir hunting after being ordered not to do so. Their HUMMVEE hit a cluster bomblet and two of them got tiny scratches. The captain who was riding with them tried to get them Purple Hearts.
I hear you...

But law enforcement memorial day is for ALL that have died while in the line on duty. The exception would be those that died from some health condition such as a heart attack while working out.They need to be out doing something on behalf of the people.

Just like the military honors ALL those that died while on active duty. I am sure many were in accidents that were their fault.

It is about honoring those that served and died.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Comment by: not@risk (5/24/2008) Of course Herr Helmke wants to conflate all those in uniform. It serves his purposes. Just remember, the history of police forces around the world shows that when a country is taken over by another country, the same police officers patrol the same beats as they did before the takeover. They just report to a new boss. If you get a chance, watch "Hitler's Victory" about what might have happened if Hitler had successfully invaded England. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365334/ In it, one of the resistance's primary targets for assassination was the local police chief, who "knew too much."

Comment by: mikestraw1@juno.com (5/24/2008) I keep a special place in my heart for courageous freedom fighters like Lon Horiuchi.

Comment by: Bob (5/25/2008) Memorial Day is about the MEN & WOMEN whom fought in the Wars not about Police Officers although some may have been in war. It is about men like my Uncle whom I never new, who was killed in action in World War II, in the Battle of the Bulge fighting for our freedom. It is about fathers, mothers, husbands, wifes, sons and daughters, who made the supreme sacrifice for our freedom. It is honoring those people, not Police Officers. Police Officers have their own place in our land and should not be forgotten either but have a time to remember them.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Comment by: not@risk (5/24/2008) Of course Herr Helmke wants to conflate all those in uniform. It serves his purposes. Just remember, the history of police forces around the world shows that when a country is taken over by another country, the same police officers patrol the same beats as they did before the takeover. They just report to a new boss. If you get a chance, watch "Hitler's Victory" about what might have happened if Hitler had successfully invaded England. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365334/ In it, one of the resistance's primary targets for assassination was the local police chief, who "knew too much."

Comment by: mikestraw1@juno.com (5/24/2008) I keep a special place in my heart for courageous freedom fighters like Lon Horiuchi.

Comment by: Bob (5/25/2008) Memorial Day is about the MEN & WOMEN whom fought in the Wars not about Police Officers although some may have been in war. It is about men like my Uncle whom I never new, who was killed in action in World War II, in the Battle of the Bulge fighting for our freedom. It is about fathers, mothers, husbands, wifes, sons and daughters, who made the supreme sacrifice for our freedom. It is honoring those people, not Police Officers. Police Officers have their own place in our land and should not be forgotten either but have a time to remember them.
Not sure why you posted this except that it includes the association with "Hitler" and one guy named "bob" agrees with Doug.

Doug and Bob, sorry that President Kennedy happened to designateMay 15th asNational Peace Officers Memorial Day, and the week containing May 15 to beNational Police Week.

President John F. Kennedy signed Public Law 87-726 on October 1, 1962 and President Bill Clinton signed Public Law 103-322.

Public Law 87-726, signed by President John F. Kennedy in 1962, was amended by the 103rd Congress as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. President Bill Clinton signed Public Law 103-322 which directs that the flag of the United States on all Government buildings be displayed at half-staff on May 15, National Peace Officers' Memorial Day.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

You are avoiding the point that this is MEMORIAL DAY weekend dedicated to the memory of fallen military comrades - not to be conflated with cops. You are making the same error as the original author of the original post - not surprising since you're cut from the same cloth.

It's not about you. This I will be thinking as I participate in the rifle salute over the graves of Islanders that have fallen in the service of their country.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
You are avoiding the point that this is MEMORIAL DAY weekend dedicated to the memory of fallen military comrades - not to be conflated with cops. You are making the same error as the original author of the original post - not surprising since you're cut from the same cloth.

It's not about you. This I will be thinking as I participate in the rifle salute over the graves of Islanders that have fallen in the service of their country.
Actually... your original post included Sarah Brady who said...

"This Memorial Day weekend, as we remember our men and women in uniform serving around the world in our armed services, I encourage you also to remember those who serve in our local law enforcement agencies."

Memorial Day for the military is the LAST MONDAY of the month.

The Memorial Day weekend itselfis only because of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act from 1968.There is nothing wrongwith using the weekend to remember all thosewho lost their lives. It is a nice way to end the month thinking about and remembering both memorials that month. I see nothing that says it is exclusive to remembering the military only.

Memorial Day Weekend is thought of mostly to be for the military but Ithat this is not really the case. It is to remember all the memorials that have taken place that month.

You simply have a problem with anyone suggesting people remember law enforcement because you dislike law enforcement so much. :uhoh:

Other people also view the Memorial Day weekend thesame way and one location has been doing it for 31 years.

Los Angeles County peace officers who lost their lives while on duty.

The event, held every Memorial Day weekend, was part of a three-day relay that takes place all over Los Angeles County and involves every sheriff's station.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080524/NEWS01/805240321

Uniformed officers representing dozens of Dutchess County jurisdictions, along with public officials and members of the community, gathered at the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office Friday to honor the men and women of law enforcement who lost their lives.

Anderson said it's important to appreciate the sacrifices made by men and women in uniform not only around Memorial Day, but year-round.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

You simply have a problem with anyone suggesting people remember law enforcement because you dislike law enforcement so much.

'You' are not all law enforcement. I dispise Anony Mouse "LEO" that expresses his peculiar views from behind the shield of anonymity. I am not anonymous and can't prate of my personal actions on behalf of my local law enforcement - all two.

You need to take your obsessive compusive disorder meds. ETA:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

Compulsions are defined by:
1. Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
2. The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.

It ain't about you.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I find it interesting that they mention to "protect and serve," yet when anyone mentions this today everybody is quick to point out that this is not their motto or objective.

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
'You' are not all law enforcement. I dispise Anony Mouse "LEO" that expresses his peculiar views from behind the shield of anonymity. I am not anonymous and can't prate of my personal actions on behalf of my local law enforcement - all two.

You need to take your obsessive compusive disorder meds. ETA:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

Compulsions are defined by:
1. Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
2. The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.

It ain't about you.
Doug.. Never said it was.

It is about the remembrance of others in uniform who have died in the service of others. That being both memorials if you wish.

What is this supposed to mean? :?

"I dispise [despise] Anony Mouse "LEO" that expresses his peculiar views from behind the shield of anonymity."

Weak 9mm

imported post

Anony Mouse = anonymous. I guess he thinks you or someone else ishiding behind the shield of anonymity. Strange.