• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice - Ruger P-95

nwi40cal

imported post

So again I am here to ask for some of the infinate internet wisdom. This time, it's my friends Ruger P-95. His slide will not lock back like it is supposed to when you firethe last round. We cleaned our guns a day or two before we went to the range, and the slide locked back every now and again. Now, I'm figuring that it is a mag problem comparing my XD mag and his mags, it looks like it needs tweaked a little bit. Well, both of them. Now while I am going to give it a real deep clean job, I'm wondering if there is anyone else that had this problem and solved it themselves.

Bad thing is I/we don't know anything about Ruger warranties,and he ~thinks~ all he has is a Gander Mtn. 1 yr warranty, which kinda don't make sense. Who buys a brand new gun without a warranty? (Don't bag me on that comment, I'm just wierd about things like that) So, if anyone can help me out before I contact Ruger & co. it would be appreciated. If nothing else, he says he will try to get new mags too.

BTW, the tweak im thinking of is to open the top of the mag just a hair to see ifI could get the plastic piece to come all of the way up and grab the slide. Now that I tinkered with it for a minute, I think I'll tell him to replace his mag springs first, they seem a little worn out, fully loaded mags at all times, so I think theymight be done.

Thanks everyone, and also, I LOVE this place

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

WHY NO WARRANTY CARD HAS BEEN
PACKED WITH THIS NEW RUGER FIREARM
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637)does not require any seller or
manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does
provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as “limited”
or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger &
Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either
“limited” or “full”, rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the
Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are
certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer
goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies
from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger &
Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing
service to owners of Ruger firearms.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Check to be sure the end of the slide lock spring is in the small hole. If it's not in that hole, it will not push up on the slide lock and hold the slide open.

I had that same problem after reassembling my Ruger P345 once.

nwi40cal

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
Can the slide be locked back manually? Does the problem only occur with a magazine in the firearm?
Okay, so I see that I didn't explain enough. Yes, it can be locked back manually, with or without mag. It might be a spring problem like I said in the last post, because even with an empty mag and a manual pull it doesn't grab.(on it's own)They are feeling pretty limp (as opposed to my XD mags) Im gonna go to cabelas and ask Shaun about it in a while, after I wash the ride. Yes,I will do my civic/OCDO duty and OC whileI'm there.thanks everybody!

nwi40cal

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Check to be sure the end of the slide lock spring is in the small hole. If it's not in that hole, it will not push up on the slide lock and hold the slide open.

Have to check that out, thanks.

nova

imported post

It is definately a mag problem...either replace the mag springs or get new mags :)

I've had a few Ruger mags I've had loaded for several months and they all still work just fine. Any mag will wear out with a lot of use.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Sounds like a mag problem, possibly a chipped/dented follower in the wrong place, etc...like has been mentioned before. If it doesnt lock open on it's ownw/an empty new mag, give Ruger a call. If it's got their name on it, they'll stand behind it.

nwi40cal

imported post

OOOkay everybody, now that i sat down and cleaned it for like 3 hours everything is in good working order again. OMG you guys should have saw his extractor :what:wow!

did a full clean of the mags too and I think there lied the problem, the patches were almost as black as my barrel patches after 100 rounds!

AGAIN thank you everybody for your help, and theres a lesson here, Rugers are POS HA! In all seriousness, clean your mags.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

nwi40cal wrote:
OOOkay everybody, now that i sat down and cleaned it for like 3 hours everything is in good working order again. OMG you guys should have saw his extractor :what:wow!

did a full clean of the mags too and I think there lied the problem, the patches were almost as black as my barrel patches after 100 rounds!

AGAIN thank you everybody for your help, and theres a lesson here, Rugers are POS HA! In all seriousness, clean your mags.
this is why you buy glocks... someone posted a website of a guy who ran 15k rounds through his glock without cleaning it and it still ran.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

Weak 9mm

imported post

And the other lesson is if you buy a Ruger, buy their revolvers! :)

Seriously though, I've not really heard of many problems with their revolvers, but I have heard of problems with their centerfire semi-auto's. For instance, the SR9 looks like a great gun and lasted through a 10,000+ round test without any cleaning, but then I heard about a recall and other problems, so now I don't know how much I'd trust it. At least I'd wait until it's been out a while.

Here's that test btw:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/ga_rugersr9_0801/index.html

With the Glock and Sig, you've definitely got proven designs though. My Glock 17 has never had a single failure, I'd trust it in the most serious of conditions.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:

The P95 does not have any spring on its slide lock; it simply has a tab protruding into the slide that is raised by a portion of the mag follower.

Diagnostic steps:

Lock the slide back manually, to ensure that it is in fact possible for the gun to lock back. If it will not lock back, inspect the lever's locking tab and the notch in the slide. If noticeable damage or wear exists, call Ruger; depending on which part is faulty they will either send you a new slide lock leveror ask you to ship the gun to them so they can fit a new slide.

Ask your buddy to hold the gun naturally. Check the placement of his gun hand and support hand thumbs. Make sure neither are on top of the slide lock lever. Every last one of my FTLBs (about 5through over 1000 rounds)have been because I was resting my thumb on the slide lock. It's very easy to manipulate, which is both a blessing and a curse.

With the gun TOTALLY unloaded, pull and hold the slide back while you manipulate the slide lock. It should move rather freely. If it is stiff, gritty or stuck, field-strip the gun and thoroughly clean it, paying attention to the recoil guide/camblock, the frame in that area, and the slide lock lever's hinge post.

Insert an EMPTY magazine into the gun and rack the slide. It should lock back assuming it will do so in other circumstances. If it does not lock back, the problem is in the magazine. Check the follower and springs for wear, and buy a new Ruger-brand magazine and try the same thing. If you're using non-factory mags, buy OEM; I've tried Pro-Mag and Mec-Gar and neither was as reliable as the good old factory 15-round mag (even though the OEM mags are $30 apiece :what:).

If the mags he's currently using lock the slide, OR if a new factory mag won't but it can be manually locked, ask him if he's made any mods for reduced recoil. Check for a recoil pad between the muzzle and the camblock's brace, aftermarket recoil/hammer springs, etc. Also make sure that if the springs have been changed or removed, that they were re-installed correctly (with the inner spring lying totally within the outer spring). These things can make it difficult or impossible for the bullet's energy to move the slide all the way back. If he's complaining about a 9mm's kick, he should be turning in his man card right about now.

If all of this is stock and seems to be in order, check the ammo. If he's using a "low-recoil" round, you might suggest something that kicks a little harder. WWB tends to be a very snappy round; if he isn't using that now, see if it makes the difference. I use Federal HS for defense and Remington UMC FMJ for range/plinking; neither has had any problem cycling a stock P95.

I highly doubt that you will get through all of these steps and not find the problem, but if you do, call Ruger and ask them to take a look at it.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
nwi40cal wrote:

this is why you buy glocks... someone posted a website of a guy who ran 15k rounds through his glock without cleaning it and it still ran.

Rugers are NOT POSes; the P95 is in fact one of the most reliable guns on the market. Ruger, like everyone, can make a lemon; you may be interested to know that in the IPSC matches I've spectated, Glocks have broken down more often than any other gun. The high incidence of failures may be because Glocks are one of the most popular models for production-class shooting, but obviously they are by no means failure-proof.

Mine's got 1,000 rounds through it since I bought it October 2007. It has never failed to feed, chamber, fire or cycle. It has failed to lock back maybe 5 times at most, and like I said, every time it was user error (my thumb on the slide lock lever). Now, I've taken care of my baby, cleaning it after each range trip, but one of the guys who works atmy normalrange had a P95, and he put 3000 rounds through the gun trying to get it to fail and gave up. He regrets selling that gun, since the one he kept, a BHP which was more accurate, was nowhere near as reliable.

Ifyour friend'sgun was that dirty after 100 rounds, one of two things happened; eitherthe gun wasn't cleanedbefore its first range trip, or you're buying WWB, Monarch or CCI Blazer. All three of those are ridiculously dirty ammos. Even then a P95 can take a lot, as long as it started out clean; you should know that practically every gun sold needs a de-gunking to remove the preservative grease used. The only exception, and it's a partial one, is Glocks,where it is recommended you don't clean out the grease in the slide rails till you've fired 400 rounds. You still have to clean out and lube everything else.

The mags are plastic on stainless, so once they wear in (bout 20 mags' worth of shooting) they need little if any lubrication. Your friend may have over-greased the follower which coats the entire interior with dirt-catching goo. You've cleaned the mags and the follower; don't re-grease em. If you need a maglubricant, the perfect stuff can be had for 99 cents a tube; chap-stick. A dab'll do ya and it works forever; I can't remember the last time I cleaned my mags and they work perfectly.

Gunslinger

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Of course, they didn't get quite that many rounds through the 4 that recently blew up. Rugers and Glocks are both built like tanks. Of course the Glock is a plastic tank...The cops like them because when they drop them in the bath tub they float...:celebrate

Just kidding, well, mainly...:dude:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
The cops like them because when they drop them in the bath tub they float...:celebrate
That is obviously not true ...

- cops don't take baths

- they take showers

- with other men

- at the station ... :shock:

*runs like hell before our LEOs get here*
:p

nova

imported post

Rugers are definately not a POS...I have several in various calibers and they're one of the few brands I own that have never failed me...EVER.