• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UTA rules

tarzan1888

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
lockman wrote:
Does a comma used as a separator or pause also remove any conditions attatched to the first item in the list?

Rule 12d(1), Harbrace College Handbook page 134. "Nonrestrictive clauses or phrases and nonrestrictive appositives are set off by commas.  Restrictive elements are not set off."

Thank you Doug.

This means that, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Is not restrictive in referring to the milita and the Utah code is un-constitutional as it is restrictive as to indivigual rights to have and bear arms.

Tarzan

swillden

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
lockman wrote:
Does a comma used as a separator or pause also remove any conditions attatched to the first item in the list?
Rule 12d(1), Harbrace College Handbook page 134. "Nonrestrictive clauses or phrases and nonrestrictive appositives are set off by commas. Restrictive elements are not set off."
Doesn't help, unfortunately, since this is a comma-separated list rather than a clause or an appositive.

Unfortunately, I think that the court would assume that "concealed" applies only to the first element of the list, not all of them. For two reasons.

First, 76-10-501 explicitly defines "concealed dangerous weapon", so it's reasonable for the court to assume that 76-10-1507(2)(a) is referring back to this definition, and aggregating it with a list of other items.

Second, and more important, if the court chose to presume that the "concealed" qualifier applied to each element of the list, then "firearms" is redundant, because per the definitions of section 501 a firearm is a dangerous weapon unless it is both unloaded and securely encased, so an OC'd firearm is a dangerous weapon even if unloaded. If, on the other hand, the court assumed that the "concealed" modifier applied only to "dangerous weapons", then the inclusion of "firearms" in the list is not redundant, since even though concealed firearms are contained in "concealed dangerous weapons", unconcealed firearms are not.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've read some opinions that turned on choosing the interpretation of the law that assumed lawmakers know what they're doing and don't write redundancies in the law. I don't know how valid that assumption is, but it gives courts a useful guideline to disambiguate statutes like 1507(2)(a).

Hmm. A counterargument just occurred to me. Interpreting "concealed" as not applying to "firearms" would also imply that even unloaded, securely-encased firearms are banned on buses, which would make it impossible to, for example, take a bus to the range for target practice. Courts also don't like to construe the law too broadly, and saying that there is absolutely no legal way to transport a firearm on a bus is pretty broad.

Bottom line to me: I don't think it's clear whether or not you can OC on a bus without a CFP, and I wouldn't want to be the test case for a third degree felony which can be argued either way. I'd be interested in Mitch Vilos' opinion.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Treat passenger buses (Greyhound, etc) like airplanes.

UTA comment from Mitch's book is as follows:

"On INTRASTATE "buses" (UTA buses and TRAX - the definition in U.C.A. 76-10-1503 seems to be broad enough to cover TRAX vehicles as well as buses) state law applies. Concealed weapon permit holders CAN take concealed weapons into the passenger compartments of such vehicles. Non-permit holders can't. If a non-permit holder violates this state law it is a felony" - Page 106, Utah Gun Law 3rd Edition, Mitch Vilos

I too would appreciate an interpretation from Mitch or AG Shurtleff regarding Open Carry on public transport. You would think that it would follow state law, but there are always weird exceptions to the rule.

Go out and buy Mitch's book - it's only about $20 and can be purchased from any retailer on this list.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

"On INTRASTATE "buses" (UTA buses and TRAX - the definition in U.C.A. 76-10-1503 seems to be broad enough to cover TRAX vehicles as well as buses) state law applies. Concealed weapon permit holders CAN take concealed weapons into the passenger compartments of such vehicles. Non-permit holders can't. If a non-permit holder violates this state law it is a felony" - Page 106, Utah Gun Law 3rd Edition, Mitch Vilos

I too would appreciate an interpretation from Mitch or AG Shurtleff regarding Open Carry on public transport. You would think that it would follow state law, but there are always weird exceptions to the rule.

Go out and buy Mitch's book - it's only about $20 and can be purchased from any retailer on this list.

They are ALL considered MOTORIZED VEHICLES from what I understand when I talked to Clark at the Sweet Tomatoes Meet.

Therefore NO carry for NON-Permit holders in ANY way.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

Geez, I think that this law really needs to be rewritten don't it? Yeah it's a good thing I don't take buses, I would probably be stuck with a felony.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
So can a permit holder OC on UTA?

As a Permit holder...Where you can CC..you can also OC. That's the general rule.

Remember SGTJensen's and mine experience at UVU when the PD tried to have CC but was "Educated" on site by MarK Shurleff that we could OC.

TJ

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

I have not read this book, but I see no distinction for Intra-state v. Interstate bus travel - no federal law bars the carry of your gun on a journey between states on buses and trains.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
I have not read this book, but I see no distinction for Intra-state v. Interstate bus travel - no federal law bars the carry of your gun on a journey between states on buses and trains.
Mitch Vilos Referenced U.S.C. Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, §922 Unlawful Acts

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Mike wrote:
Mitch Vilos Referenced U.S.C. Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, §922 Unlawful Acts

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
Fortunately this statute does not ban you and I from carrying our guns while traveling the thru the US oncommon or contract carriers.