• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Beer Bandits shot

hamourkiller

imported post

He didnt make good bandits of them, but the clerk came close.

http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/txcn/houston/stories/khou080522_tnt_beerthieves.1c0cbeeb.html

Hardy Stop clerk shoots beer bandits
icon_video.gif

[size=-1]
07:07 PM CDT on Thursday, May 22, 2008
[/size]

[size=-1]By Leigh Frillici / 11 News[/size]

HOUSTON—Two suspected beer thieves were shot after swiping a cases of Corona and Budweiser from a Houston convenience store.

Investigators say the 18- and 20-year-old suspects went into the Hardy Stop and grabbed the beer. When the clerk told them to put it back, they took off.

But the clerk had other plans.

As the suspects threw the beer into the backseat of their getaway car, the clerk opened fire.

The windows shattered, and both suspects were wounded.

They made it to the home of a friend, where a family member called police.

It wasn’t the first time the Hardy Stop has been hit, but it was the first time a clerk took the matter into his own hands.

Both of the suspects were in stable condition Thursday evening, and no one has been charged.

11 News legal expert Gerald Treece said the clerk was well within his rights to use deadly force to protect his store from thieves.

LEO 229

imported post

nofoa wrote:
If one takes up criminal activity he/she accepts the risks involved.
Not really appropriate to shoot in this case but.... you do have to accept the happens when you steal from another.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nofoa wrote:
Not really appropriate to shoot in this case but.... you do have to accept the happens when you steal from another.
Especially when the law is that clear. Gotta love Texas.

LEO 229

imported post

I guess you can look at it this way....

If you steal.... you are either hurt and maybe you will not do it again.... or you are killed and will not have a chance to do it again.

I really hate thieves!!

Evil Ernie

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nofoa wrote:
LEO, as much as I quietly agree with you on 99% of your points and posts, I have to voice my disagreement with you on this one....IT WAS BEER!!! :p Seriously tho, this shoot wasn't warranted, they were already getting away. If anything, they clerk needs to improve his judgement and aim!

hamourkiller

imported post

Not long ago in Houston a BEER thief stole some beer and walked down the road, car jacked a womans car with a baby inside. When the woman protested he gutted her like a pig and drove off.

These beer thieves did not get that chance!

Shoot em all.

scarletwahoo

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
nofoa wrote:
Especially when the law is that clear. Gotta love Texas.

AMEN. I agree it wasn't appropriate, but stealing is a high risk/high reward activity. Luckily no one was killed.

imperialism2024

imported post

hamourkiller wrote:
Not long ago in Houston a BEER thief stole some beer and walked down the road, car jacked a womans car with a baby inside. When the woman protested he gutted her like a pig and drove off.

These beer thieves did not get that chance!

Shoot em all.
Not long ago, this guy open carried a gun, and then shot people. Therefore, open carry should be banned.

I can do it too.

The shoot wasn't justified. Am I shedding any tears? Nah, not really. But to make such an (il)logical leap is kind of ridiculous.

Oh, and... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/ ?

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FTA: 11 News legal expert Gerald Treece said the clerk was well within his rights to use deadly force to protect his store from thieves.

I had to read that twice. I was at first excited that TX is serious about beer theft. Even though I was wrong, they still deserved it. They were drinking corona and bud!

I probably wouldn't have to shoot thieves stealing my homebrew though. The carboys are waaaay to heavy to effect a getaway!

;)

John

imported post

Firearms are there to protect lives and major capital assets, not to save a case of beer. This man ought to be charged with a felony, in my opinion. The police are there for cases like this. One case of beer isn't going to make or break the store, but these kids --- though exercizing extremely poor judgment --- are probably not that bad. They definitely don't deserve to die.

If they robbed the store of a few hundred bucks using a firearm, knife or some other weapon, then all bets are off. Fire at will. That doesn't seem to have happened here.

hamourkiller

imported post

It is you who is illogical, you would let criminals run free to do death and mayhem at another crime scene because you are so morally bankrupt as to fear ptotecting your own property. This core issue has been argued multiple times. No shooting for property! I am togood for that! Yet the animals run free to prey on others down the street but it is not your fault in any manner oh no!

When people are brazen enough to walk in and steal as if it is a natural right, they are dangerous and deserve to be shot. Be it stealing beer or my lawn mower, they are predators who have lost their fear of us and should be put down. In your avoidance of your duty as a man to protect yourself and property you are helping to perpetuate criminal behavior.

I posted the story of the beer thieves remembering all of you moralists and brayers from ealier in the year when a beer thief got killed and the same indignation and posturing took place. Between then and now a young mother was gutted by these types of criminals! When they reveal themselves they must be stopped at every oportunity.

You and others like you, bear some responsibilty for this young womans death by perpetuating the idea that we must let the crimminal elements feed amongst us if all they are taking is PROPERTY. Only fight to save yourself or family from harm. You cant see that you are setting up the culture that allows a scum to casually walk in steal beer then walk down a street and casually kill a young mother. Then you have the gall to see yourself as superior to those of us who see these thieves as young predators not quite ready for prime time who need to be taught to leave others and their stuff alone!

I see you and your ilk as moral cowards to afraid to act when confronted by evil.

MetalChris

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
nofoa wrote:
Seriously tho, this shoot wasn't warranted, they were already getting away. If anything, they clerk needs to improve his judgement and aim!
If the law allows for it, all bets are off, IMHO.

John said:
Firearms are there to protect lives and major capital assets, not to save a case of beer. This man ought to be charged with a felony, in my opinion.

So you think he should be charged even though he violated no law? Nice.

Huck

imported post

It's too bad the punks survived. If they were brazen enough to openly steal merchendise from a store what do y'all think they're likely to do if they tired of walking? Or dont have enough cash to buy the latest video game that they want?

massltca

imported post

hamourkiller wrote:
It is you who is illogical, you would let criminals run free to do death and mayhem at another crime scene because you are so morally bankrupt as to fear ptotecting your own property. This core issue has been argued multiple times. No shooting for property! I am togood for that! Yet the animals run free to prey on others down the street but it is not your fault in any manner oh no!

When people are brazen enough to walk in and steal as if it is a natural right, they are dangerous and deserve to be shot. Be it stealing beer or my lawn mower, they are predators who have lost their fear of us and should be put down. In your avoidance of your duty as a man to protect yourself and property you are helping to perpetuate criminal behavior.

I posted the story of the beer thieves remembering all of you moralists and brayers from ealier in the year when a beer thief got killed and the same indignation and posturing took place. Between then and now a young mother was gutted by these types of criminals! When they reveal themselves they must be stopped at every oportunity.

You and others like you, bear some responsibilty for this young womans death by perpetuating the idea that we must let the crimminal elements feed amongst us if all they are taking is PROPERTY. Only fight to save yourself or family from harm. You cant see that you are setting up the culture that allows a scum to casually walk in steal beer then walk down a street and casually kill a young mother. Then you have the gall to see yourself as superior to those of us who see these thieves as young predators not quite ready for prime time who need to be taught to leave others and their stuff alone!

I see you and your ilk as moral cowards to afraid to act when confronted by evil.
In some states the clerk would be in big trouble, but if the law allows people to fire on escaping thieves in Texas I say go for it. Just make sure you hit what you are aiming for. I have no sympathy for these scumbags.

John

imported post

hamourkiller wrote:

Get a grip!

This is nothing short of rhetorical nonsense. These boys didn't kill that young lady and not every thief is also going to murder someone. You know, you really sound tough, but EVERYBODY steals something at some point in their lives. BAR NONE.

Should we shoot you? What if your son, daughter, nephew, what-have-you makes a stupid choice and decides to steal something -- "It won't be a big deal" -- or what if they get pressured into it or if they are mistaken for belonging to the group that was stealing the beer? What if they ARE in that group, didn't know what was going on, and just ran away when their friends did having no idea what was going on?

Do you want this for someone you know? Should we shoot them? People like you scare me. People like you are just another reason why I own and carry firearms. People like you are the kind that carry torches in the middle of the night and hang people in the streets -- no trial, no jury, no innocence until proven guilty. YOU'RE THE REAL THREAT.

hamourkiller

imported post

John wrote:
hamourkiller wrote:

Get a grip!

This is nothing short of rhetorical nonsense. These boys didn't kill that young lady and not every thief is also going to murder someone. You know, you really sound tough, but EVERYBODY steals something at some point in their lives. BAR NONE.

Should we shoot you? What if your son, daughter, nephew, what-have-you makes a stupid choice and decides to steal something -- "It won't be a big deal" -- or what if they get pressured into it or if they are mistaken for belonging to the group that was stealing the beer? What if they ARE in that group, didn't know what was going on, and just ran away when their friends did having no idea what was going on?

Do you want this for someone you know? Should we shoot them? People like you scare me. People like you are just another reason why I own and carry firearms. People like you are the kind that carry torches in the middle of the night and hang people in the streets -- no trial, no jury, no innocence until proven guilty. YOU'RE THE REAL THREAT.

You are a coward pure and simple, you cant handle my argument so you call me names. I dont go looking for trouble, but come to my house or business to steal and shot gun pellets or rifle lead is what you will get.

How we got to lynching I dont know, but who knows how the mind of a coward works.

How would you like it if your daughter or grand daughter was gutted by this beer thief, who if the clerk had shot him would have saved her life.

If I make a mistake, and shoot a beer thief who is only trying to get beer, a thief is dead, if you let the wrong one walk an innocent life is lost. You sir are afraid of standing up to evil and allow it to grow in our midst. YOU AREA COWARD.

I am a TEXAN and I am tough to criminals, you are more upset by people defending property than people stealing it, but since you are an admitted thief you are probably just voicing self interest.

NOW if that is enough name calling, how about my argument that allowing lawlessness to run rampant breeds killers. In my opinion this type of activity can not be tolerated. Al these thieves are learning is that victimising people is a great way to live. Walk up and steal beer and food, walk up and steal house hold goods, walk up and steal a car and kill the driver if they have the gumption to resits. They have no fear. Time to teach them is long before the killing takes place.

When you are protecting your property you are protecting your family. The Texas law allows these actions so the legal procedings have already taken place. Stealing is dangerous in Texas.

When a thief is killed by a victim, it is not a trial or court proceeding at all, but a reaction to the crime. If the DA is sharp he will try the crooks for attempted murder since two people got shot durring the commision of the crime.