• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Zoo?

Outsider

imported post

Okay, the wife wants to goto the zoo with some friends on Memorial Day. Anyone know if they allow firearms?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Outsider wrote:
Okay, the wife wants to goto the zoo with some friends on Memorial Day. Anyone know if they allow firearms?

zoo.map.06-sm.jpg

For the health and safety for our animals and guests, we do not allow the following items inside the Zoo:

1. Balloons of any kind
2. Bicycles (except for Zoo Security officers)
3. Tricycles (or similar such item that is powered by someone sitting on it)
4. Heely shoes, in-line skates, or roller-skates.
5. Skateboards
6. Scooters of any kind
7. Water guns or water balloons (water spray bottles are only allowed on hot days)
8. Weapons of any kind
9. Glass containers
10. Alcoholic beverages
11. Laser pointers
12. Gas grills or charcoal barbecues
13. Stickers or Confetti
14. Any other item deemed unsafe by Utah’s Hogle Zoo security​

According to Wikipedia:

The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the city of Salt Lake City. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association.

========================================================

If it's still owned by the city there is NOTHING they can do according to....

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

==================================================

So according to this there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they OR the PD can do for LAWFULLY carry a firearm on the premises.

TJ​

UTOC-45-44

imported post

http://www.weblo.com/property/Other/Utah_s_Hogle_Zoo/452451/

Scroll down some and you will find the text ..."The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the state of Utah. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association" that I Highlighted and Underlined.

This is the whole text....

Utah's Hogle Zoo was founded in its present location in 1931. It was originally a part of Liberty Park downtown, but a large plot of land near Emigration Canyon was donated to house the growing collection of animals by Mr. and Mrs. James Hogle. The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the state of Utah. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association. The recently passed Arts and Parks tax has allowed for the building of larger and more natural exhibits, beginning with the Elephant Encounter in 2005 and the Highland of Asia exhibit in 2006.

So now you can HAPPILY OC at the Zoo because the sign is MEANINGLESS.

Enjoy your Family trip

Remember Title 76-10-500, the Uniform Code.

The Hogle Zoo Security nor the SLC PD can touch you.

Here is Mitch Vilos # 801-560-7117.

Clark Aposhian's # 801-560-4836

Outsider

imported post

Okay, I'm confused. Who owns it or does it matter? Even if it isn't owned by the state the zoo can't reinforce their policy because it violates 76-10-500, right?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

If it were a private business, they could enforce any rule they want. You could be kicked out of a store for wearing a green shirt if they wanted to do so. However, entities owned and operated by the State of Utah have to abide by Utah's set of rules when it comes to firearms.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Outsider wrote:
So if it is owned by Salt Lake County then what?

76-10-500 :celebrate.

Nah,nah,nah can't touch this:celebrate.

Wether City owned or State Owned. NOTHING:lol:.

Gotta Love Utah:celebrate

As I said before ENJOY our visit together with our family to the Zoo.

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Outsider wrote:
Okay, I'm confused. Who owns it or does it matter? Even if it isn't owned by the state the zoo can't reinforce their policy because it violates 76-10-500, right?

"The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the state of Utah. It is supported through tax dollars,..."

therefore "it violates 76-10-500."

"a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms."

Have a Great Day,

TJ

Outsider

imported post

The wife doesn't want me to open carry on Monday because she is afraid we won't get in. She said, "You're not going to get shot at the zoo." My response, "The people at Trolley Square, Omaha Mall, and Virginia Tech didn't think they'd get shot either." What do I say to her?

BTW, I honestly think one of the best ways to honor men and women of Memorial Day, our fallen and gone veterans, who died to defend our rights and freedoms is to EXERCISE those rights.

thx997303

imported post

+1 to that. You should OC anyway. And so should your friend, since he wont go shooting with me. Ah I guess you guys had those plans for a while anyway. shooting was kind of a spur of the moment thing. You guys make sure to have fun.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

When I am worried that somebody might not let me in somewhere, I will place my elbow and forearm right over the pistol. This usually shields the firearm pretty well. I realize you do not have a concealed firearm permit, so wearing a jacket to get in is a no no. Once inside, go about the day as usual!

tarzan1888

imported post

What is a "Hogle"?

I have been to a lot of different zoo's in my life, and I see you Utah guys talking about a "Hogle Zoo" and I wonder what kind of animal a "Hogle" is.

Tarzan

UTOC-45-44

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
What is a "Hogle"?

I have been to a lot of different zoo's in my life, and I see you Utah guys talking about a "Hogle Zoo" and I wonder what kind of animal a "Hogle" is.

Tarzan

Here you are Tarzan,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogle_Zoo

The Hogle Zoo is a zoo located in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is the state's largest zoo, containing a variety of animals from different ecosystems. The zoo lies across the mouth of Emigration Canyon from This Is The Place Heritage Park.

edit] History
Hogle Zoo originally started out in Liberty Park, which is located between 500 and 700 East, and 900 and 1300 South in Salt Lake City. The original exhibits consisted of deer, monkeys, an elephant, and various North American birds and mammals. It officially became the Hogle Zoo in the mouth of Emigration Canyon on August 1, 1931 after Mr. and Mrs. James A. Hogle donated a sizeable amount of land. The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the city of Salt Lake City. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association. In 2006, the zoo celebrated its 75th year in existence by giving free admission to anyone born in 1931 with proper ID as proof.

TJ