• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC - West Seattle Ferry

aktion

imported post

Here's to uneventful open carry!

My first open carry day was yesterday, and I was on my way to Key Peninsula by way of West Seattle-Port Orchard ferry. I carry a Springfield Armory 1911A1 in a Blackhawk Serpa II paddle holster. Nice day, just wearing a long sleeved shirt. And pants and boots and all that too, of course. So as we (my wife and I) pull up to the State Trooper directing traffic into the toll booth area, he asks our destination (to determine which lane to direct us into as this ferry services two destinations). He then promptly expressed admiration at my wifes truck, a black 1980 Ford F100 custom V8 351, and told us all about his 68 Charger 440 with all the bells and whistles. I'd never had an LE be so friendly and open right off the bat. He didn't see the handgun. So as we're waiting for the ferry, I get out to go pay at the booth, and he sees it, but says nothing. He's standing right next to me, and my wife even commented 'So there's your first sighting by LE'. Nothing at all.

Half expecting a swarm of SWAT and getting kicked out of line, or any number of other fears often expressed by the unbelievers, we board the ferry. While sitting upstairs in the main cabin area, I notice a group of 4-6 Coast Guard personnel dressed in fatigues and combat webbing with sidearms strolling around the ferry. During the 40 minute trip they passed me about half a dozen times, and was never approached once. I know they saw my .45 repeatedly, but I purposely did not behave unusually in any way. That is, act naturally. I know a number of other people on the ferry saw it as well. Nothing at all.

The trip back today was even less eventful. Some ferry employees saw me, but said nothing.

Thank you all who have contributed positively to this site. It has been a great resource of information and experiences that have provided me and many others with the knowledge and information to open carry with more confidence and dismantle the notion of mass hysteria at the sight of a gun in non-LE hands.

Abram

UTOC-45-44

imported post

aktion wrote:
Here's to uneventful open carry!

My first open carry day was yesterday, and I was on my way to Key Peninsula by way of West Seattle-Port Orchard ferry. I carry a Springfield Armory 1911A1 in a Blackhawk Serpa II paddle holster. Nice day, just wearing a long sleeved shirt. And pants and boots and all that too, of course. So as we (my wife and I) pull up to the State Trooper directing traffic into the toll booth area, he asks our destination (to determine which lane to direct us into as this ferry services two destinations). He then promptly expressed admiration at my wifes truck, a black 1980 Ford F100 custom V8 351, and told us all about his 68 Charger 440 with all the bells and whistles. I'd never had an LE be so friendly and open right off the bat. He didn't see the handgun. So as we're waiting for the ferry, I get out to go pay at the booth, and he sees it, but says nothing. He's standing right next to me, and my wife even commented 'So there's your first sighting by LE'. Nothing at all.

Half expecting a swarm of SWAT and getting kicked out of line, or any number of other fears often expressed by the unbelievers, we board the ferry. While sitting upstairs in the main cabin area, I notice a group of 4-6 Coast Guard personnel dressed in fatigues and combat webbing with sidearms strolling around the ferry. During the 40 minute trip they passed me about half a dozen times, and was never approached once. I know they saw my .45 repeatedly, but I purposely did not behave unusually in any way. That is, act naturally. I know a number of other people on the ferry saw it as well. Nothing at all.

The trip back today was even less eventful. Some ferry employees saw me, but said nothing.

Thank you all who have contributed positively to this site. It has been a great resource of information and experiences that have provided me and many others with the knowledge and information to open carry with more confidence and dismantle the notion of mass hysteria at the sight of a gun in non-LE hands.

Abram

Welcome to OCDO. What an Awesome encounter(s). Keep up the Great Job.

TJ

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SWEET! Good experience! As far as the coasties go, they aren't trained on local law, nor do they enforce it. So as far as the peaceful carrying of guns go, they can't do squat about it.

They were either there going back to their base, or were doing anti terrorism patrol. Either way you would have been out of their sights. Terrorists don't reveal their weapon casually, and you probably don't fit any of their profiles...

aktion

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
SWEET! Good experience! As far as the coasties go, they aren't trained on local law, nor do they enforce it. So as far as the peaceful carrying of guns go, they can't do squat about it.

They were either there going back to their base, or were doing anti terrorism patrol. Either way you would have been out of their sights. Terrorists don't reveal their weapon casually, and you probably don't fit any of their profiles...
Yes, I'm not aware of any terrorists who sit on the ferry reading PC Gamer with their knitting wife, talking about classic fire-breathing muscle cars and dual sport motorcycles.

In regard to the Coasties, I'd never seen that type of presence on the ferry, but I don't ride it much anymore. It worked out; I do my thing peacefully, they do their thing.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

aktion wrote:
In regard to the Coasties, I'd never seen that type of presence on the ferry, but I don't ride it much anymore. It worked out; I do my thing peacefully, they do their thing.
Pretty much. When there were protests in Oly over the unloading of military cargo I was driving my dinghy downtown and packing. Coasties would stop me of course when I entered the channel, I would tell them I was packing, and they never asked name or anything. Didn't say anything about the lack of registration on the boat either :) They were there to guard the ship and nothing more... Coasties are usually pretty cool.

G27

imported post

aktion wrote
It's Memorial Day weekend, so they're gonna make sure their presence is known to deter any terrorists! Remember, it's always about the illusion of safety! :monkey

Guest1650

imported post

As SV-Said. CG isn't trained to handle any situation with OC-CC. they would still need assistance from the proper LE if the subject, if any. ever came up. It sounds like you had a good first OC experience.. When i first started. i always expected a swat team. but.. Now, i just expect dirty looks, and second glances.

my favorite is when somone sees it. and their eyes glaze over like jelly doughnuts. :shock:

But say nothing...Or Run.