• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC (very lame)

Roy Hobbs

imported post

I don't know the laws as well as you all do, so I'm wading in slowly. I spent the AM working around my house (mowing, weed whacking, edging) in Ballard.

Unfortunately, there were very few passers-by, but I gained a measure of confidence as I spent time exposed to the general public with a weapon on my hip.

The best part was that when I went out later, only concealed with a t-shirt, and barely at that. The confidence I had gained from even a couple of hours helped immensely.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome Roy. I live a few miles north of you, in the Broadview area of Seattle. Take your time, read a lot, print off the Washington State Gun Rights Pamphlet, and enjoy.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Roy, welcome and that's not lame at all! My first OC was out to the trunk of my car. Didn't really need anything there, it was just convenient and safe. Next stop was the mailbox across the street, then finally to the 7-11 on the corner. There's no rush, take your time and ensure you're comfortable with it!

Gene Beasley

imported post

That's exactly how I came into open carry. I CC'd most of the time and when my kids were young, I wanted them to see me around the house with a gun on my belt so they would know that it's nothing unusual; taking the mystique out of it.

I found myself not caring about what the neighbors thought as I OC’d to the car or out to the mail box. They didn’t seem to take notice. One did ask my wife why I wore a gun, but never asked me. Most likely because I usually worked nights and they would only see me in passing. Then I started to become accustomed to the freedom of wearing what I wanted in warm weather (what all two months of it) and it’s my preferred carry. I guess now I’m also doing for the general public what I did for my kids.