• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive experience with THE MAN

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

I was southbound on S.R. 427 and entered Waterloo. The stoplight at the intersection of U.S. 6 changed to yellow and I thought I could get thru before it truned red. I got partially thru and it changed. A block later, those rotating lights appeared behind me. I pulled over and hit my 4-ways. The officer approached and said," I'm Officer Mc*** of the Waterloo Police Dept. I stopped you for running the red light". I replied,"Yeah, I saw it. I thought I could make it thru". He chuckled. I said,"Just so there's no surprises, I want you to know I have an Indiana License To Carry Handgun and I am wearing my revolver." This is something I'm not required to do and I don't always do it. He then asked me to hand him my revovler. I was open carrying in a right hand crossdraw holster. I hit the thumbreak and without opening the cylinder, I handed him my revovler, holding it by the butt with my right thumb and forefinger. He then asked me for my drivers license, registration and License To Carry Handgun as he laid my revolver on the roof of my vehicle. When I gave him my documentation, he looked at it and said,"What's your first name Mr. Truck?" I only have an initial, so I told him,"It's just F." "Just F? O.K., I'm taking your revolver to the squad." A few minutes later, he returned, handing me my documentation with a warning ticket that required no fines or court appearances and handed me my loaded revolver back with the cylinder open. He said with a smile," We usually unload them but I'm not going to make you reload your revolver. I really appreciate you being so forthcoming and telling me about this. Thank you." I told him I appreciated his courtesy and thanked him for it & we spent a couple more minutes exchanging pleasantries. He never got his panties in a wad over me open carrying and was polite to the point of friendliness. I didn't have to tell him I was armed and he didn't have to let me go with only a warning. We both conducted ourselves like decent, civil human beings and there was no pissing contest in Waterloo last night. I have had pissing contests with the police in times past and always won, but only after looking down a gun barrel, an experience I don't relish.

t3rmin

imported post

Good deal. I think I'd be a little wary to handle my gun around the cop like that, but I wasn't there in that situation and it obviously turned out fine.

stanicus

imported post

I have been pulled over 3 times now while carrying by State, county and local guys. All 3 were pleasent and ended in warnings. County guy was the only one to take my gun and then bring it back. The State trooper just asked me if it would "stay in the holster". I told him yes and he was good with it. The local cop didnt even care.

tattedupboy

imported post

I have dealt with police twice before, and both times, I let them take the gun out of the holster. Not LEO bashing here, but because I don't know whether the officer I'm dealing is an a**hole who'll draw his own weapon and point it at me, I would just rather leave my hands in plain sight and let him disarm me. Nevertheless, I think both you and the LEO handled this well. Too bad all encounters aren't as banal as this one turned out to be.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My brother-in-law has a CCW in FL, and was stopped for speeding by a cop last year. He offered the cop his .357, whereupon the cop promptly dropped it on the street, cracking and chipping the custom wood grips. He was extremely embarrassed, apologized profusely and offered to pay, etc., but my B-in-L played the magnanimous role, so the cop let him off without a ticket. I said to Paul, "How could you be so generous?...he busted some brand new grips." Paul said it would have been his 3rd speeding ticket thaqt year and he would have lost his license, so he figured he got off easy. :celebrate

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Why is this a good encounter? He disarmed you, a law abiding citizen, with no probable cause and likely recorded and checked your serial number. While the officer didn't appear to be a jerk attitude-wise, this was not a positive encounter as he took actions that were not necessary and definately were not appropriate.

ScottyT

imported post

I would be very uncomfortable handing over a loaded, unholstered firearm to anyone, let alone a cop. I think I would insist that I (or he if he is being a jerk) remove the holster in order to keep the firearm safe.

Maybe something like:

cop: "Please hand me your gun."

me: "I really think it is safer for everyone involved if it stays securely fastened in its holster (SERPA, usually), but if you insist on disarming me, please allow me to remove the entire holster (sometimes paddle, sometimes belt) from my person, not just the firearm."

This of course would be during a traffic stop when the cop is actually allowed to stop me. If it was just on the street I would inform him that unless he is detaining or arresting me, my firearm will stay safely at my side -- unless he is some freak that actually had me at gunpoint, then I would of course comply immediately and follow up with complaints/lawsuits later.

Hoosier8

imported post

There is no requirement to announce your firearm but most everyone I know does it. At the most, you will be handcuffed until the Police Officer is finished. You will be told it is for your safety, but we all know it is for the officers safety. This is training in response to firearm incidents that have resulted in officer injury or death. You will not be in danger and you should respect the officers need to be safe. My only fear is an officer that is not familiar with the type of firearm I may be carrying, which could actually be dangerous.