• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPM Mechanical Recoil Reduction System

Weak 9mm

imported post

*Pictures are at the bottom of page 1 and on page 2.*

I recently purchased a DPM Mechanical recoil reduction system for my Glock 17. It is a very high qualitysystem that replaces the polymerguide rod and singlerecoil spring system in the G17. They offer a magneto-mechanical system as well, but I don't like how much room it takes up. The new magneto-mechanical versions dostill allow you to use tactical lights and accessories though. It seems that the magnetic part of the system does a lot less than the mechanical part anyway, so I don't know that it's worth the increased cost either.

The DPM system consists of astainless steel guide rod with an integrated short spring and then an outer largerecoil spring. This dual spring system is extremely smooth in operation and also prevents the slide from slamming all the way to the rear during cycling. The system came with two springs, a gold spring that has a lower spring rate and a silver spring with a higher spring rate for heavier ammunition. I chose to use the silver spring and I love it. The result is a massive difference in felt recoil and smoothness. It should also increase longevity somewhat, and claims increased reliability, although it's pretty hard to get better than the 100% reliability my Glock 17 has had so far, lol.

It functions flawlessly with all of my usual ammunition, which includes regular old WWB 115gr FMJ, Federal's 124gr +P HST, Federal's 124gr +P+ Hydrashock, Winchester's115gr +P+ Ranger, Speer's 124gr +P Gold Dot and Extreme Shock's 124gr Fang Face. The gun is so much more accurate when doing rapid fire and you can actually feel that the slide is not slamming fully to the rear with hot ammo. The gun feels so much smoother and more controllable that it's like a different gun. My friend who had fired the G17 a few times before absolutely loved it too, and it made it a lot more fun to shoot because of how quickly and easilyyou can dump a clip into something.

I highly recommend this system for anyone that owns a gun in which this system can be installed, even if you don't think your gun has much recoil. This system will make it that much better.Shooting my9mm Glockis so much more fun now! It's ridiculous how much of a difference it made. This is by far the best $70 investment I've made on a firearm accessory, and from now on I will be purchasing this system forevery gun Ibuy, as long as it's a gunforwhichthe system is made.

Here is a review of the system on a S&W M&P 9mm with a video comparing the gunbefore and after (Gunblast!!! :) ):

http://www.gunblast.com/DPM-SWMP.htm

Here's a review of the system in general, and how it did when installed on a Glock 19:

http://www.gunblast.com/DPM.htm

Here's a review of a Glock 26 withthe DPM system installed that also includes a video (I love Gunblast!!):

http://www.gunblast.com/Glock26.htm

Here's the main DPM website:

http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/home/

Weak 9mm

imported post

Any further details? I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I just wondered why you don't like it and what your experiences have been with the system.

This is good stuff for discussion. Even if you don't like the system, please provide feedback. Details beyond "I don't like it" would be helpful though.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

maybe its a completely biased opinion, considering that I have never tried it... but I don't think that most pistols need a special spring. MAYBE if I was shooting some hand cannon, like a .357 sig or larger, but my Glock19 is just fine with the factory parts.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I do suggest trying it then. I'm not saying any of the Glocks NEED the spring to function properly.

What I am saying is that the spring makes it a hell of a lot better, and makes follow up shots much more accurate and easier to deliver quickly with any type of ammo that I've used. It's a huge difference. I didn't think it was bad at all, until I got the spring. Now I wouldn't own one without it.

If you could make shooting hot ammo in your 9mm basically feel like you're shooting a .380 Auto, and have $70 to spare, why not? Plus the system is much higher quality than the stock parts. Did you take a look at any of the videos?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Well I guess if I can manage to squirrel away $70 ill give it a try. Looks actually viable compaired to some of the "tacticool" toys I see for Glocks.

I just always think from a standpoint of using my Glock to fight with... because that's why I carry it. I don't see many holster options for that thing.

Plus I can fire my Glock 19 about this fast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybVAMJ6J24

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seams like it might be unnecessary for a 9mm, but anything that helps. I definitely will be looking into it for my Glock 21 though, I would love to be able to accurately doubletap a .45.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I don't see many holster options for that thing.
I don't have the magneto-mechanical system. I have the mechanical system. All it replaces is the recoil spring and guide rod. Did you even read my post? It seems like you didn't. It fits in my Serpa the exact same as it always did. Again, did you look at any of the videos in those articles?

It's kind of like you're trying to convince me that the system does nothing and is pointless, even though I've fired the gun many times now with and without the system and have found it to make a huge difference. The writer of those articles has found it to make a huge difference as well, and as he says, the videos show much more than I can in words. I was so pleased with the results that I felt the need to personally thank him via email for making me aware of the product.

I just always think from a standpoint of using my Glock to fight with... because that's why I carry it.
Um, so do I, that's why I like to be able to more accurately deliver rounds quickly. Watch the videos, read the articles, etc.

Seams like it might be unnecessary for a 9mm, but anything that helps. I definitely will be looking into it for my Glock 21 though, I would love to be able to accurately doubletap a .45.
Even though it may seem that way, it makes a big difference in the quickness/accuracy with which you can deliver rounds with the 9mm. Oddly enough the 9mm does actually have recoil, unlike a .22LR, so there's plenty of room for improvement with a 9mm.

It seems like you guys think you'd be wimps if you "admitted" you could improve a 9mm handgun or something. I'm not saying I can't shoot the gun as is, I had it that way for quite some time. After a lot of reading I decided to give this a try, and it's made a big difference, especially with my +P and "+P+" carry loads. It makes a difference with WWB 115gr fmj's too though, as I stated in my post. Please read my original post if you haven't aleady. I can imagine this system will make a big difference on any handgun for which it is made.

Oh, yep that's it btw. After reading another thread I'm begining to see that the consensus seems to be that if you "complain about the recoil of a 9mm, you need to have your 'man card' taken away." What a crock of you know what. Although I've never "complained" about it, I certainly do think that you could reduce the recoil and muzzle rise on certain 9mm handguns, and that obviously makes me a "woman" to some folks. Apparently that's insulting?

Thank you DPM systems, for making a system that is better than stock and actually works, flawlessly.

Plus I can fire my Glock 19 about this fast
Did you watch the videos? It's becoming apparent that you didn't go through my post that much, which is fine, but at the same time it makes it hard to have a discussion. I'm not saying you can't shoot it fast. All I'm saying is it makes it easier to control and more accurate during rapid fire. Even the guy writing those articles admits that anything that makes him more accurate is worth having. I won't argue it anymore so don't buy it, don't try it and don't believe me if you want. Just please don't discourage others from it in the future until you've tried it, because regardless of what you want to believe, the DPM dual recoil spring system with stainless guide rod makes a large difference on a 9mm Glock (And apparently on the 9mm S&W M&P as well, which I can easily believe after seeing what it does).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak9mm -

Have you ever shot a Glock 17 with a stainless steel guiderod without the DPM system? I ask because I am wondering how much of the system's performance is coming from the heavier guiderod and how much from the spring system. I'm hoping you have shot both and can compare the two.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Why would a heavier guide rod make the glock shoot differently? It's a non-moving part in the stock system. If it's simply the slight difference in mass, then I doubt it is the main contributing factor, but again I'll refer you to the articles and videos.

But no, I have not tried it with "only" a stainless steel guide rod, as you would have to ruin the stock guide rod to remove the stock spring as far as I can tell.

Don't buy it guys, the system is a piece of shit as you already know. I'm done discussing the matter.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Why would a heavier guide rod make the glock shoot differently? It's a non-moving part in the stock system. If it's simply the slight difference in mass, then I highly doubt it, but again I'll refer you to the articles and videos.

No, I have not tried it with "only" a stainless steel guide rod, as you would have to ruin the stock guide rod to remove the stock spring as far as I can tell.

Don't buy it guys, the system is a piece of shit as you already know. I'm done discussing the matter.
I read/watched the links in your posts. I was asking a legitimate follow-up question to learn about the system. But since you are done discussing the matter that you posted about and I'm asking legitimate questions about out of interest I guess there is no further need to respond or to answer as to why a stainless steel (or tungston) guide rods make Glocks and XDs shoot differently.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Even though it may seem that way, it makes a big difference in the quickness/accuracy with which you can deliver rounds with the 9mm. Oddly enough the 9mm does actually have recoil, unlike a .22LR, so there's plenty of room for improvement with a 9mm.

It seems like you guys think you'd be wimps if you "admitted" you could improve a 9mm handgun or something. I'm not saying I can't shoot the gun as is, I had it that way for quite some time. After a lot of reading I decided to give this a try, and it's made a big difference, especially with my +P and "+P+" carry loads. It makes a difference with WWB 115gr fmj's too though, as I stated in my post. Please read my original post if you haven't aleady. I can imagine this system will make a big difference on any handgun for which it is made.

Oh, yep that's it btw. After reading another thread I'm begining to see that the consensus seems to be that if you "complain about the recoil of a 9mm, you need to have your 'man card' taken away." What a crock of you know what. Although I've never "complained" about it, I certainly do think that you could reduce the recoil and muzzle rise on certain 9mm handguns, and that obviously makes me a "woman" to some folks. Apparently that's insulting?
Woah, calm down. I never questioned your manhood for shooting 9mm. I'm a strong believer that shot placement is much more than caliber. Just from shooting my wife's 9mm I have never noticed a need to reduce the recoil to get back on target. However she has a Taurus Millenium Pro which already has a double spring system so that may be the difference. I was more making the point that I suck at follow up shots on my .45 and I think it could definately help me with that. I never ment to insult you.

I won't argue it anymore so don't buy it, don't try it and don't believe me if you want. Just please don't discourage others from it in the future until you've tried it, because regardless of what you want to believe, the DPM dual recoil spring system with stainless guide rod makes a large difference on a 9mm Glock (And apparently on the 9mm S&W M&P as well, which I can easily believe after seeing what it does).
Thanks for the recommendation and your post. I do have an interest on trying this in my Glock 21. I appreciate people who point out a new product that I otherwise would not know about. Saves me from having to research and filter through what is spam and what are legitimate reviews. I haven't gotten to watch the videos yet, I went strait for the product page, but I'll check them out now. I do wonder though if it behaves differently for a .45 than a 9mm. 9mm is a lighter snappier recoil where .45 is not just stronger, but all around different. I wonder if this system will still keep the slide from going all the way to the rear and how effective it will be at reducing muzzle climb.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Woah, calm down. I never questioned your manhood for shooting 9mm.
What about that was non-calm? No caps, no "yelling." I even said I came up with that "revoking your 'man card'" thing from another thread, not from you. I didn't think you were insulting me.

Also, the second part you quoted was directed at Bravo-Sierra, although I should have defined it as such more clearly. It was in response to his statement, which I quoted right above the area in which I said what you might have thought was directed at you.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Interesting, you actually refuse to even see the effect it has.

I take it you form all of your opinions this way? :lol:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Interesting, you actually refuse to even see the effect it has.

I take it you form all of your opinions this way? :lol:

No, I take the simple fact that everytime I see anyone add aftermarket parts to a gun and run it hard, they end up taking them off and replacing the factory parts. Espicially titanium springs, extended slidestop levers, and short triggers. They end up spending more time working on their weapon when they should be shooting it.

I guess I just don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Weak 9mm

imported post

No, I take the simple fact that everytime I see anyone add aftermarket parts to a gun and run it hard, they end up taking them off and replacing the factory parts. Espicially titanium springs, extended slide stop levers, and short triggers. They end up spending more time working on their weapon when they should be shooting it.

I guess I just don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Yeah, especially considering I didn't put any of those things on the gun. But the whole, you know, not reading the post, not looking at the info and just saying it's useless also indicates what you mentioned.

The fact that the one writer I trust has tested it on numerous firearms, putting thousands of rounds through the systems, with nothing but great results also indicates it. The fact that he recieves feedback stating the same seems to indicate it also. The system offers zero drawbacks with many advantages. The fact that he owns more guns that I could dream of currently (And tests them regularly) and uses the system on his 9mm S&W M&P for daily carry indicates what you said. The fact that he admits that you can improve a 9mm handgun also indicates what you stated. I guess you're probably a lot more experienced than he is too.

I keep forgetting that you know so much about it, especially with all that experience you have with parts that have nothing to do with this system.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Yeah, especially considering I didn't put any of those things on the gun. But the whole, you know, not reading the post, not looking at the info and just saying it's useless also indicates what you mentioned.

The fact that the one writer I trust has tested it on numerous firearms, putting thousands of rounds through the system, with nothing but great results also indicates it. The fact that he recieves feedback stating the same seems to indicate it also. The system offers zero drawbacks with many advantages.

I keep forgetting that you know so much about it, especially with all that experience you have with parts that have nothing to do with this system.
Yeah I'm a dumbass :celebrate

Weak 9mm

imported post

You missed the corrections. I had to add a couple more reasons why. :lol:

Stock Glock hollow polymer guide rod and recoil spring assembly viewed from the rear of the assembly.

Attachments

• Deebu 2 001 (2).jpg
    Deebu 2 001 (2).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,897