• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple funny encounters today.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Went to AutoZone and Wal-Mart in Urbana today. The first encounter was kinda interesting.

AutoZone wasn't very busy. As I was at the counter, there were three or four employees behind the counter shoot'n-the-bull. As I was paying for the merchandise one of the employees says, "Hey, he's got a gun." He thensticks both arms straight up in the air, just as if an LEO had pointed a gun at him. :shock:He then took his arms down and engaged in a conversation with me:

Him: What is that? A .380?
Me: No. It's a nine.
Him: So how much is the license for that? $100?
Me: This is called "open carry." No license is required for open carry.
Him: Really? Hmm. Maybe I should start carrying here in the store!

Just then the manager piped up in a very serious tone and said, "No employees are allowed to carry a gun in the store. Company policy. If you carry you will be immediately fired."

So then I left AutoZone and went to Wal-Mart. (FYI, if you change your own oil, Wally-world has the cheapest oil. Especially when you buy the 5-quart jugs.) At the checkout was a guy about 20 years old. He sees my gun and says, "So what do you do?"

Me: I'm and engineer.
Him: Well, I see you're wearing a gun. You don't see that too often.
Me: That's true, but it's becoming more common.

So not all that exciting. Just thought I'd share. :)

Lthrnck

imported post

I get a bit upset when people throw their arms up in the air, and say Don't shoot, or something else stupid.

What is really the concern here is the preception that other people may get.

Your out side, your looking into the store and you see the clerk throw their arm up into the air like they are getting robbed. You call the cops, and all the #$%^ hits the fan.

Get my point.

I usually try to ask them in a calm manner not to do that anymore. and give them the example I just used. Most understand and say they are sorry.

But back to funny encounters.. I had one this weekend also.

I was getting out of my truck at Taco Bell, going to get dinner.

I always adjust my belt/trousers when I get out, so I was doing that when this lady was going to her car, which was right next to mine. She saw my gun and said.. "That gun is disgusting.

I chirped back rather quickly... "That's not digusting, lady.. Disgusting will be if I don't finish fixing my trousers and belt, and they drop... Now that will be disgusting.

She gave me one of those... Well I never looks , jumped in her car and left.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
I get a bit upset when people throw their arms up in the air, and say Don't shoot, or something else stupid.
At first I thought it was kind of humorous. But the more I think about it, the less humourous it becomes. As you've stated, his actions could have created a chain reaction with me in the middle of it.

Lthrnck

imported post

I didn't mean to dampen your story. I even thought the same myself the first time it happened to me. But once you think it thru it could have had some very difficult concequences.